FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Child's Play II" Today's kids rate classic video games - Hilarious!

Author Topic: "Child's Play II" Today's kids rate classic video games - Hilarious!
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the November 2003 Electronic Gaming Monthly , a group of children reviewed and played some old Atari 2600 classics, like ET, and the comments were hilarious. I wish I had a link to that article, but I do not. But here is the next best thing: the second review crew, and the comments are equally funny.

For those who grew up playing these games like I did, I hope you enjoy. Heck, I hope everybody enjoys this look at retro gaming!

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3137498

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a sample for the unbelievers from the classic game, Defender :

Parker: You're supposed to pick the people up.

Garret: Oh, those are people. No. I think you're supposed to shoot them. Those are aliens, I think.

Parker: You have to protect them from the aliens, which are these things.

Dillon: They look like Jellyfish from Spongebob.

Garret: Oh, so the aliens pick them up, and if they're carrying them, you have to kill the aliens and catch the people. [The player shoots the people.]

Parker: Or not.

Dillon: If you shoot them, then the aliens can't get them.

EGM: If you shoot all the people, the planet gets destroyed. Then the aliens take over.

Garret: Nice.

Bobby: If I was in it, I'd be like, "OK, aliens, if you give me 500 dollars you can destroy this planet."

Rachel: Only $500 dollars?

EGM: Do you feel badly shooting the humans?
Parker: No, that's my only amusement in this game. If they were like more detailed, maybe I'd feel something. But it looks like I'm shooting a popcycle.
EGM: Would you play this game again?

Garret: I would if I had a lot more time and could figure out the controls.

Dillon: I would if I had absolutely nothing else to do. [The screen erupts in flashes.]

Garret: Whoa! What just happened?

Parker: The Earth blew up. Remember?

Anthony: It's like everything just shattered. Oh, run. Run!

Parker: Oh, you don't have any smart bombs.

EGM: Do you know that in these types of games, people spend hours and hours trying to break world records.

Parker: Like that guy who beat Pac-Man? With the long beard?

Garret: Billy Mitchell.

EGM: What do you think of him?

Parker: He's a complete loser. Doesn't he have a mullet?

Garret: That's bad.

Dillon: What a freak.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That post made me think of Ender's Game.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Child's Play
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

doc, you are my hero!

This is my favorite part (from playing ET for Atari 2600):

Brian: This controller's crap; you need to sit on top of the TV to play.

[An icon appears in the pit]

John: Yay! You got a…thing.

EGM: What did you get?

John: A backwards C?

Brian: Reese's Pieces? Am I in a different pit this time?

[Ten minutes later, Brian escapes the pit]

Tim: Whoa, someone has you!

John: It's a lady.

Tim: No it's not. Her hair is E.T.

Sheldon: No! No! Not E.T.! Kill! Kill! Kill E.T.! Glock E.T.!

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Note: Everything written here was actually said by these kids. Really. The only change we made was to remove the more gratuitous usages of the word "gay".

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
When playing Pong:

quote:
Tim: My line is so beating the heck out of your stupid line. Fear my pink line. You have no chance. I am the undisputed lord of virtual tennis. [Misses ball] Whoops.

[ December 28, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dillon: I'm just pressing random buttons here....

Garret: That's probably how you beat the game.

[ROFL]

This is me on soooo many video games!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, oh, these kids are cracking me up.

EGM: Would you want your parents to buy this for you?

Everyone: No!

Bobby: If it was 25 cents and came out of one of those gumball machines, yeah, I'd buy it.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, these kids are hilarious! [ROFL]

quote:
Tim: Oh, I'm starting to suck. John, you drained my skill.

John: Yes, I used a power-up.

Tim: What? There's no power-ups in Pong. The concept of a power-up hadn't been invented yet.

quote:
EGM: Who's that chick Mario is rescuing up there?

Brian: It's Princess Peach.

Kirk: It's a hooker.

Niko: She looks cut in half.

Tim: Oh wow—she's one of those pole dancers.

quote:
Tim: This is nothing compared to Grand Theft Auto III, because you can't steal a taxi cab, pick up somebody, then drive into the ocean with him.

Kirk: And you can't pick up an AK-47 and go kill—hey, those aliens on the top row, you use them in EGM for stuff.

EGM: Yeah, we use them to end our articles. They do kinda look like they're from Space Invaders, don't they?

Tim: They're going to sue you.

Kirk: I'm sure everyone who made this game is dead by now.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see them review the Atari version of Pac-Man!!!
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stupid duck. I hate the duck. The duck is evil.
Best. Line. Ever.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I love these children. If I ever own a sweatshop, I will make all my underage employees play old-school arcade classics and only hire the ones who make the funniest comments.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I, of course, can't follow the links. Damned draconian internet usage rules! Or rather, damned enforcement of draconian internet usage rules!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey -- we just had a Galaga tournament at home last night. That is STILL a cool game (I used to claim high score on all the arcade version back when I was a freshmen in college)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

Noemon, you can find the articles at 1up.com. I am hoping you have found them already, as they are pee-in-the-pants funny HI-larious.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm laughing so hard i have tears coming out of my eyes... I love these kids!!!!! And oh do I miss my old 2600!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.