FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sad news--Jerry Orbach dead at 69

Author Topic: Sad news--Jerry Orbach dead at 69
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard this on the news--don't have a link to confirm it yet. Perhaps best known for his role as Lennie Briscoe in TV's "Law and Order", he also was a veteran of Broadway, as well as providing the voice for Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast and playing the father in Dirty Dancing.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he retired from Law and Order for health reasons, but I don't now that for sure.

I didn't know he was that bad off though.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
'Law & Order' star Jerry Orbach dies
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. He was great on Law and Order. He was also very good in Prince of the City, one of the best cop movies ever.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
He left Law and Order to take a part in the new spinoff series, and left production of that when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, expecting to return soon.

I thought he was a great actor. Even in Dirty Dancing (which I hated) he managed to transcend the typical grumpy father in such films.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE that movie.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Which spinoff was he going to be part of?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's sad. I really dug Jerry Orbach.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. That stinks.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

He was the best thing about that show.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
It's so sad - he was like a New York institution. He was a great actor and everyone said he was a great person, too.

Kwea, why do you hate Dirty Dancing?

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew he had cancer, but I thought he had beat it. [Frown]

I will remember Mr. Orbach tonight.

I remember being very mad when his character retired from the show, and then encouraged to learn of (yet another! heh) LandO spin-off with him in it.

All that I have read of him (as a person) speaks of his graciousness and gentle humor.

I'm glad we've been able to enjoy his acting for so long.

My thoughts are with his family.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a pic of him on tv, and now I know who he was. I know him as the dad in Dirty Dancing. I know I have seen him in other things, but cannot remember what. Very sad.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
He was the Candlestick in Beauty and the Beast. He sang Be Our Guest.

I'm so depressed about this. I have been biding my time with Law & Order, just waiting for Trial By Jury to begin.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just... really really sad about this. [Frown]

I'm really sad.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Law & Order.
I didn't know that about Beauty and the Beast.
[Frown]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a service for him yesterday:

quote:
The secular service drew dozens of show business figures, including Chris Noth, Olympia Dukakis, Danny Aiello, Tony Roberts, Michael Imperioli, Brian Dennehy, Benjamin Bratt and Malachy McCourt.

Broadway legend Chita Rivera remembered Orbach from their "Chicago" onstage partnership in the 1970s. "This huge silhouette would appear in a fedora, smoking a cigar," she said. "There was our anchor. There was our rock in a pinstriped suit."

Ed Sherin, executive producer of "Law & Order," called Orbach "my best friend -- and I imagine there are a lot of people here who would say the same."

He described Orbach as a man who would "break into song" at any moment, while also enjoying a reputation as "a deadly poker player" and avid golfing partner.

"I loved playing golf with Jerry more than I loved golf," said Sherin, adding that Orbach was not a strict scorekeeper when playing with a friend.

The actor was equally gracious on the set of "Law & Order," the director said, pouring juice for nervous, dry-mouthed colleagues or whispering lines to them if they forgot them.

Orbach lay in a simple wooden coffin draped with white blossoms under the chapel's blue and gold vaulted ceiling. A half dozen pews marked "Friars Club" were filled with fellow members of the New York organization famed for its celebrity roasts.

The service was led by family friend Elizabeth Hepburn, who started and closed the ceremony by leading mourners in a breathing meditation, interspersed with John Denver's "Perhaps Love" played on a guitar.

The service ended with a guitar rendition of "Lullaby of Broadway" and "Try to Remember" -- the signature song of the off-Broadway hit "The Fantasticks" that launched Orbach's rise in New York theater in 1960, as El Gallo.

Orbach costarred in a string of hit Broadway musicals including "Carnival!," "Promises, Promises," "Chicago" and "42nd Street," and in the off-Broadway hit comedy, "Scuba Duba."

Among his film credits were "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight," "Prince of the City," "Postcards From the Edge," "Crimes and Misdemeanors," and "Dirty Dancing." He also was the voice of the candlestick Lumiere in the Disney animated feature "Beauty and the Beast."

Orbach, who won a Tony Award in 1969 for "Promises, Promises," played Briscoe on "Law & Order" for a dozen years and was already at work in an upcoming spinoff series, "Law & Order: Trial by Jury."

Sounds like he lived his life doing what we loved, doing it well, and touching people everywhere he went. Not a bad legacy.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.