FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your reading plans for 2005? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your reading plans for 2005?
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides Shadow of the Giant, of course.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, there's that.

And just about any other sci-fi novel I can get my hands on.

They're difficult to get here. Heck, any English novels are difficult to get here. The biggest bookstore, Vijitha Yapa, is large enough that they actually have different shelves for the different genres, and in that, they are unique. In this country. Sci fi titles - they may have oh, a hundred or a hundred and fifty, and I've read at least half of them. The other half look boring.

Sigh. I miss Chapters. And other signs of civilized reading. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have not read the fifth one.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

Where are you, Quid?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
SoG
HPatHBP
The next book in Brooks's "High Druid of Shannara" series.

I think I'll wait on the new Covenant series until they are all out.

Not sure what else is coming out.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't expect I'll read SotG. But I do have a big stack of books to get through, starting with:

The Motorcycle Diaries (Che Guevara), which my parents gave me for Christmas
The Ground Beneath Her Feet (Salman Rushdie), which I first read nearly four years ago and absolutely loved -- it's time to read it again
The Kite Runner (Khalid Hosseini), which mum lent me
The Wayfarer Redemption (Sara Douglass), by special recommendation
Wizard's First Rule (Terry Goodkind), also by special recommendation

Some other stuff, too. But I need to get through these ones first. Most of them are fairly hefty tomes. [Razz]

[ December 30, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, after Rhapsody and the third Russell book, I am going to try Otherland, and then the mystery series by Philip Pullman.

I have a lot of time to read these days!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Textbooks.

Starting school again in Jan.

Then, since I've taken up teaching a Bible study class at church, I'll be reading material for that.

If I have much recreational reading time it will be spent on whatever I can get my hands on.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I amglad I read Wizard's First Rule, but that was enough for me.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! I've been putting too much stuff off:

1984(George Orwell)

The Book of the Dun Cow(no idea)

War of the Worlds(H.G. Wells)

Invisible Man(H.G. Wells)

Time Machine(H.G. Wells)

edenborn(Carl Sagan)

Lost World(Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

Sherlock Holmes: Complete Stories(Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

The Salmon of Doubt(Douglas Adams)

Last Chance to See(Douglas Adams)

Sword of Shannara(Terry Brooks)

Shadow of the Giant(Orson Scott Card)

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince(J.K. Rowling)

There are more but I can't think of them.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, reading. I love it. I plan to do a lot of it. I'm reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" right now. I like it.
Anyone else read it?
[sorry, i kind of changed the subject of the thread.]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Sri Lanka, Somalian dude. Are you in Somalia, or why do you go by that name?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also working on the Discworld books.

Besides Shadow of the Giant, there's also OSC's Magic Street to look forward to -- it's a stand-alone novel, so especially looking forward to that one.

There's going to be a new Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" book, A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

And a new Jared Diamond book just came out -- Jared Diamond's the guy who wrote Guns, Germs, and Steel -- this one's called Collapse, it's about societies that collapsed because they didn't deal with environmental issues (deforested their land, didn't make good use of resources, etc.)

And GRRM's A Feast for Crows will be out in 2005 I bet.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
SoG, and anything that I see numerous people recommend at Hatrack.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
-finish Return of the King
-Unfinished Tales (Tolkien)
-finish Different Seasons (Stephen King)
-The Stand (King)
-Rachel and Leah (OSC)
-reread Johnny Got His Gun (Dalton Trumbo) read it when I was 16, and just found it at my mother's house a few months ago
-more from the Dark Tower series
-reread the Song of Ice and Fire series in preparation for the next book
-The Boy With No Shoes (William Horwood)
-reread The Galactic Milieu series (Julian May)
-and anything else I find through the year

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
People make reading plans? Beyond "whatever I can get my hands on?"
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
These are what we know we'll read. The "whatever I can get my hands on" is understood, I think. [Smile]
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I so miss having used bookstores that actually have stock. Unlike what we get here. [Frown]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to read Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger if it kills me. I'm not going to understand a word of it, but I'm darn well going to finish it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Got His Gun was good, but very disturbing, at least it was to me. [Angst] [Eek!] [Eek!] I can't imagine being in that guy's position.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to finish up Lord of the Rings for the 3rd time and then I'll start thinking of that. [Smile]

Actually, I've gotten some great books for Christmas...I'm going to start into some translations of Dumas, namely Man in the Iron Mask and The Count of Monte Cristo.

I also got L.M. Montgomery's Emily series that I've never read (shame on me, a true Anne fan) and that will be some fun fuzzy socks reading.

Aside from those, there are still at least 20 books on my shelf that I haven't read yet....it's exciting!

[ December 31, 2004, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...and now that I've just read the first three chapters of SotG, I'm gonna have to go back and read the first three again just to refresh my memory.

I'm not opposed to this. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Finish the rest of Sandra Brown's books (got about 10 left). Don't ask.
2. Reread or read in preparation for the upcoming movies: H2G2, Chronicles of Narnia, War of the Worlds
3. I, Robot after I see the movie.
4. TBA while waiting for Shadow of the Giant and HP6.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have "plans" as such. I literally have a physical stack of books in my room that I'm going to read. I'll probably read them in the order they've been stacked in. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a George W Bush biography for Christmas that looked pretty cool. I also borrowed a bio on Mary Lincoln and the collected works of Poe from my mom.

Oh, Steve, let me save you some time with The Time Machine. Nothing happens. Ever.

He goes into the future. He doesn't do anything. Then he goes farther into the future and nothing happens. Some crabs wander around on the beach.

Wells had some cool ideas sci-fi wise, but he had no idea what a plot or character were.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Wuthering Heights

2. HP6

3. The next Discworld novel

4. The Motorcycle Diaries

5. Shadow of the Giant

6. The assorted works of John Steinbeck.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Book of the Dun Cow(no idea)
Wwalter Wangerin, Jr. Great site, great essays. [Smile]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Reread Shadow series in preparation for Giant (Mar 05)
Reread HP in preparation for HalfBlood (July 05)
Reread Eragon in preparation for Eldest (Aug 05)
Complete the Wayfarer Redemption series
Complete John Sandford's Prey series
Complete Catherine Asaro's Skolia series

gee, and I originally wasn't going to set any goals for 2005 LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quid,

I have a library card. I can renew books online. The library is ONE block from work. I make frequent trips to the post office, which is also ONE block from work, and two doors down from the library.

Here's what I propose: browse the collection here, and send me an email if there's something you want to read. I'll pick it up and mail it, up to 5 at a time. Keep them until you finish, and then mail them back.

What do you think?

Boon

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Because no one should be without good sci-fi!
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've still got a fair number of trilogies and series that I started in '04 and need to finished. These include:

- The Abhorsen Trilogy
- His Dark Materials Trilogy
- The Dark Tower
- The Redwall Series

I am also waiting for the release of A Feast for Crows, which I hope will be released in '05 (but since I only read the series last summer, I can wait a bit longer if needed). There's also Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I also have plenty of Star Wars EU novels that I have yet to read, and several novels waiting to be released in '05.

And, of course, any new (to me) series I may run across or decide to begin.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally get around to reading Guns, Germs, & Steel : The Fates of Human Societies.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I no longer have any interest in anything OSC writes?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't either.

Half Blood Prince is the only book on my list at the moment, though i'll probably reread LOTR and Dark Tower again.

I've been meaning to read Guns, Germs and Steel. Maybe I'll pick it up.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

quid?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Sorry, Boon, I'm here. I've been a little pre-occupied today. I haven't been sleeping well, and so I'm having a harder time focusing on things.

Thanks for your kind offer. Let me ask you something. . .

How long can books be out from the library?

Boon
unregistered

2 weeks at a time, indefinitely (unless someone requests one that's out, which doesn't happen near as often as you'd think).

Edit: that wasn't clear. 2 weeks, with unlimited renewals which can be done on their website.

[ January 01, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Boon ]

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I will probably not read SotG either. I haven't read any of the Shadow books beyond Ender's Shadow.

Books I will probably read this year:

Finish rereading Ender's Game
Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson)
The Urth of the New Sun (Gene Wolfe - and I may need to reread The Book of the New Sun first)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (I'll probably reread the other 5 before that)
The Fionavar Tapestry and/or The Sarantine Mosaic (Guy Gavriel Kay)

I don't know if I will get through all of this as my reading speed has been crappy lately and I spend too much time on the computer rather than reading a book.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Boon - your edit was much more clear, thanks.

I'm going to think about this. One major consideration is the Sri Lankan postal service. For several reasons. 1. Because they lose/steal/abscond with so many things. 2. Because they charge duty on anything they think they can get away with. 3. Because they lose/steal/abscond with so many things. Yeah, I know I said it before, but I've heard so many horror stories.

Friends of mine had a package sent to them. When they went to pick it up, it was less than half full. On the outside of the box, it said candy. When it was opened in front of them (it had also been opened prior to them getting there), there was no candy in the box. All removed. All that was left were things that Sri Lankans don't know what to do with - canned soup, pasta, cake mix.

And I'd really hate to have anything like that happen to books from a library that someone else would have to pay for.

I really appreciate the offer - it's wonderful of you, Boon, to make an offer like this. But I don't think I can accept. It's not practical for this part of the world.

Having said that, what I keep forgetting - and Fahim has to keep reminding me - is that he's downloaded hundreds or thousands of books off the internet that I can read with anytime I feel like curling up with my laptop. Sigh. Not the same as a paperback, but it'll do the job. And most of those books, I haven't read. So I'll just have to start reading those. [Smile]

Boon
unregistered

Okay, I understand. If, however, you simply can not find a copy of something you really want to read, I have a solution that won't cost a dime. I'll not post it, though. Just let me know if there's something you need.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Boon, you sly dog . . .

You got yerself a deal!

Boon
unregistered

[Big Grin]
Boon
unregistered

Of course, it'll mean curling up with your laptop some more...but you'll be reading something you really want to read...so it's worth it, right?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Of course!

It's true that I'm also really lucky I married a geek. I'm only a beta-geek whereas he's a full-fledged alpha. He's found tonnes of stuff. But oh yeah, I'll be letting ya know. [Big Grin]

DocCoyote
Member # 5612

- posted      Profile for DocCoyote   Email DocCoyote         Edit/Delete Post 
More non-fiction. I once again promised myself I would read a good history of the Santa Fe Trail, since I drove back and forth from New Mexico to our home in Colorado this past week. You can occasionally see wagon ruts from the Trail, which gives me a real feeling of connection with that time. I'm totally addicted to Southwestern history.

I got myself a John D MacDonald fix over Christmas vacation. Read 4 of the Travis McGee stories (for about the 100th time). I used to have the whole set, but left it in the other lifetime.

Lisa

Posts: 230 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Victor Hugo's Les Misérables. I just started it a couple days ago. My edition is in two volumes and is over two thousand pages long in total. This is gonna be fun.

Other than that? I have to re-read all the Ender books, before SotG.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski.

Re-read Shadow series before SotG.

I'll probably also start the Harry Potter series, if I get a chance. I was trying to put that off until the seventh book was published, but I've had too many people recommend it to me to put it off any longer.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trashcan_Man
Member # 7345

- posted      Profile for Trashcan_Man   Email Trashcan_Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Finishing the Dark Tower series. (Plus The Dead Zone and Cujo)

The Crystal City and The Yazoo Queen(but not in that order)

Shadow Puppets and Shadow of the Giant.

Harry Potter and the....you know... #6

Series of Unfortunate Events Book 12(in fall when it comes out [Big Grin] )

Cather in the Rye and Macbeth(for school)

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow of the Giant
Crystal City
First Meetings in the Enderverse
(yeah, I know...I'm a little behind...)
Also the new Harry Potter book

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.