FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Boys and Imaginary Friends

Author Topic: Lost Boys and Imaginary Friends
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading this book again, after a long time.
I still cannot understand why the parents were so worried about Steve playing with imaginary friends. Or why they were concerned about him not playing with the other kids.
Perhaps because when I was a kid I didn't have a whole lot of friends, i was introverted and liked to stay by myself making up stories and songs all the time.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this answer will satisfy, but in my experience, when you are a parent, you worry about everything. You worry that you're too strict. You worry that you're too lax. You worry that your kids don't have enough friends. You worry that they are too social and not serious enough.

At least, I find that I virtually always seem to worry about how my daughters are coming along.

[ January 01, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom thinks all of you guys are my imaginary friends. And she's very worried about me. [Razz]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mom thinks all of you guys are my imaginary friends. And she's very worried about me.
We are.
She should be.

Mega...you are WAAAAYYYY too strict. Keep it up!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid I thought it would be really cool to have an imaginary friend, But I could never mnanage to make any. I'd sit down and make up characters, and I'd battle imaginary super-villains and such, but never managed the imaginary friend.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have imaginary friends, but I had imaginary red shirts that I would command into battle, and not care that they died.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Is God an imaginary friend?

My daughter has a personal fairy that seems very real to me. It gives her wise advice and insight, as well as telling her all about the fairy world. I delight in seeing the world through my daughter's eyes as she translates for her fairy. Of course, the fairy won't show herself to me. Although we did have a very serious talk when she first arrived in my daughter's life (for not all fairies are good).

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a big brother named John. I had Flipper, my favorite stuffed animal, and a host of other stuffed friends who really talked to me. My mother also visited at night, not really angel-like, but sort of as a consoling presence.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mega...you are WAAAAYYYY too strict.
*sniff*

O_O

*sniff*

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You have to be strict to force your children to like mean old baseball teams.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My little sister had an imaginary friend named Johnna. Once, years later, I met a girl with that name and couldn't ever take her seriously.

My two littlest sisters are close enough in age that they never had imaginary friends, but my little brother, feeling picked on and being the littlest and the only boy at home, has two imaginary friends: Big Michael and Little Michael.

The funny thing about Big Michael and Little Michael (that was true for Johnna as well, strangely enough) is that every day at least one of them is having a birthday. And when they're not having birthdays, one of them is dead. They die and come back to life quite often, actually.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Syn-- they weren't worried JUST about the imaginary friends. Steve's personality went through a major change after Step and his family moved to NC. The 'imaginary friends' were just a part of the big changes they saw in him.

But yeah-- when a kid starts spending time with imaginary friends, to the exclusion of real, physically touchable people, it's time to start worrying.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Annie, it makes sense: die, come back to life, birthday.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Rinse, repeat?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if this answer will satisfy, but in my experience, when you are a parent, you worry about everything. You worry that you're too strict. You worry that you're too lax. You worry that your kids don't have enough friends. You worry that they are too social and not serious enough.

I worry about parents who don't worry about their kids.
If you sleep well at night, you are obviously not worried about enough.

Edit: However, my daughter's imaginary freinds are the lEAST of my worries. with natural disasters, feral Rottweilers (OK, we really did have one in our neighborhood for a while), planes that crash into houses, cars that drive right up onto the sidewalk, etc......

[ January 02, 2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: dread pirate romany ]

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why though? Not everyone is very social. I certainly wasn't. I didn't have alot of friends in school myself.
I sort of liked it that way. Many of the kids kept teasing me a lot.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Syn. Books were my friends.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Books and characters I made up from my own stories.
Like a 700 year old cat person. I loved making up stories.
I still do.

Scott R
Member # 567

I repeat-- there is something wrong with you if you consistently neglect human interaction in favor of imaginary interaction.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my imaginary friends as a child were dogs...my family thought I was allergic to dogs, so I was not allowed to have one. But I LOVED dogs so I was taken to see every dog movie out there..."Lassie Come Home," "For the Love of Benji" (my favorite), etc. It was almost torturous because seeing those movies made me want a puppy all the more.

As it turned out, I was NOT allergic to dogs. Out of the hundred or so items I was allergy-tested for, dogs were kind of lost in the list...the one "no" in a sea of "yesses" that got ignored. We discovered this after I secretly spent quite a bit of time at friends' houses playing with THEIR dogs, and had no reactions. I then requested an allergy re-test, the old list was brought out, I was re-tested, and everything said negative.

Needless to say, my imaginary doggies became a real one within two months. I have had dogs in the house pretty much ever since.

[ January 03, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Cor ]

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, that depends on the nature of the human interaction. Before I was eight or nine, I didn't have many friends that I would see on a regular basis.

I never had any real imaginary friends, though. I tried to, because that was the kid thing to do, but I never really 'bought it'. I spent a lot of my childhood happily doing things by myself. I built things out of Legos, blocks, and whatever else I had at hand. Maybe that's why I enjoy spending time alone now that I'm becoming an adult.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Having done both, I'm with Scott. No human interaction is not good for you. But neither is unhealthy human interaction. Plenty of that one here, too. No interaction seems preferable, but I promise you, it gets lonely.

Healthy interaction is a great thing. Even if it's only with one other person. I think every human being needs to know at least one other person knows them and accepts them as they are.

After all, if you didn't want ANY human interaction, you wouldn't have conversations with folks on Hatrack. [Wink]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I had imaginary animals. Like a unicorn named Chloe, and a panther. Black. It lasted for one or two years.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an imaginary brother that was about a year and a half younger than me (born the day my grandpa died, so like june of 87), he was always getting into trouble, and my way to blame stuff away. He stayed around until like sixth grade which is probably way too late.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mother also visited at night, not really angel-like, but sort of as a consoling presence.
After her death, Elizabeth? That is quite beautiful.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have imaginary friends as a child, but my dad told me something interesting.

Remember the commercial about the little girl who wakes up and goes downstairs and talks to the fridge and the flowers and pretty much everything, and then she goes into the living room and turns on the tv. It ends with me having a terrified expression on her face and hearing violent noises from the tv...it was an ad for monitoring what you children watch on tv or something like that.

Anyway, the point is that my dad says I was that little girl when I was small: I talked to everything and everything talked back to me. :-)

On another note, after rereading Lost Boys after I moved into the house I rented last year, I had a hard time going down to the basement. The stairs really bothered me: they were wooden and beneath them was a huge pile of dirt. I was half-convinced there were the bodies of dead little boys in that dirt.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom claims that I had imaginary friends when I was very young - which probably makes sense, as we lived out in the country, I am an only child, and there was no one to play with. However, I have no memory at all of having such friends. I did acquire an ability to find things to do to entertain myself without feeling lonely.

Then, when we moved into a tract home, ours was the yard where all the kids in the neighborhood congregated, largely because my mom would tolerate it while none of the other mothers would. I was not, however, nearly as thrilled with all the company, and I would often go inside to read a book while all the other kids played on our lawn.

In school, I had a few friends, and they seemed to be all I needed. When I was in junior high, I was actually required to join an after-school club because they were so "worried" about me not having more friends. I really resented that, as I was quite happy as I was. I've gotten more social as I've gotten older, but I still have what is probably a higher than usual need for private time.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It most of my school career well meaning teachers kept forcing me to go to proms. I didn't want to go in the 6th grade, I didn't want to go to the Jr high prom or my high school prom.
I wanted to stay home and listen to Mozart and read.
I just don't see much wrong with being extremely intraverted or why normal has to be being extraverted with a lot of friends. I'd rather have some close, very tight friends than 200 not-so close friends.
Though, I am not exactly sure if there is anything wrong with me or how I could tell... I would like to meet more people, or collect more close friends, but it's not very easy.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
What worried me about our new house was the crawl space under the kitchen.

Especially after the swarm of ladybugs came up into our kitchen. This is obviously the effect of a happy cheerful presence lurking under the house.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I would like to meet more people, or collect more close friends, but it's not very easy.
Especially if you close yourself away from human interaction.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't close myself off from it... I do try..
My funds are limited though, that's one problem.
And the so-called real world just isn't like college. In college meeting people was a piece of cake.
There was SSE, movies every week, all sorts of talks I could go to. I made 2 friends just by having a strange little job for a few weeks.
There were reoccuring people everywhere.
I had packs of friends in my FYP, different groups like my Christian friends, pagan friends from the Artist's guild. All kinds of people.
And, If I wanted to just be alone I could hide out in Richardson computer lab and play on the computers on the Friday and Saturday after working at the library... What a sweet job.
Now, I get stuck paying 10 dollars hoping to meet new people, but instead I get completely ignored and watch everyone split up into their own little groups.
Perhaps my natural shyness has gotten a bit worse, but meeting people outside of school is a total chore.
Or, perhaps it's my fault for simply hating small talk with a passion and pushing my way into other people's conversations... People have a way of building a wall just by talking together.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mega...you and Cor are wonderful parents. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Whatever you're doing...keep it up!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I then requested an allergy re-test, the old list was brought out, I
I would like to just state for the record that I will never be requesting an allergy re-test.

That is all.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was kidding, Bob.

Look -----> [Big Grin]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay, there's a big difference between asking for a "single" needle allergy test, and a battery of them... Believe me, I would never request having the whole work up done. I have vague memories of those hours of torture. I think I've blocked most of it out.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.