FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Congratulations Utah, Undefeated National Champs!!

Author Topic: Congratulations Utah, Undefeated National Champs!!
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like we used to have a lot of people here who were loyal to the University of Utah, and who used to engage in a friendly rivalry with all the BYU people. So are they all still here, or have they all joined the Hatraspora?

Is anybody watching the Utes play the Panthers right now?

I'm rooting for Utah because I hate the BCS, and any extra undefeated teams will help speed its demise.

If Auburn beats Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl Monday, they're the champs as far as I'm concerned, and I hope the AP will agree.

[Smile]

[ January 02, 2005, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Megachirops ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rooting for Utah mostly because I can't stand Pitt. Plus, I'm a sucker for a cinderella story.

quote:
If Auburn beats Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl Monday, they're the champs as far as I'm concerned, and I hope the AP will agree.
First of all, Auburn won't win (at least not in my perfect world) and second, the AP's not going to vote Auburn number 1, even if they deserve it. There's no way they'll drop the winner of the Orange below Auburn.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Why not? They did it last year.

Auburn should be in the title game. They play in the thoughest conference.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

The difference between this year and last year are the polls. Last year LSU leapfrogged USC in the Coaches poll because of the BCS contract.

Auburn would have to jump the Orange bowl winner in the AP. An AP #1 has never dropped in the poll after winning a game and I doubt they'll start this year, so if USC wins, Auburn will be #2. If Oklahoma wins, and Auburn blows out VT then they might be able to jump Oklahoma. However, I don't see VT getting blown out (and I'm not wearing orange and maroon glasses), so Auburn won't get a split championship.

So basically, Auburn's getting screwed. And honestly, I can't make up my mind about which teams should be playing for the title.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

There should be a playoff.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Mega, are you sure you want to live through ANOTHER playoff?
hee hee.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Big
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Unit.
Megachirops
Member # 4325

[Cool]
Megachirops
Member # 4325

[Big Grin]
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Auburn is getting screwed, and even though I'm an Alabama fan I feel sorry for them.

My sister in law is an Auburn grad and a major fan and she says she almost wishes auburn would lose - because then there would be no question that they don't deserve it.

However, if they win, and I think they will, it will live on forever as the season they were number one but no one gave them the shot.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

quote:
Last year LSU leapfrogged USC in the Coaches poll because of the BCS contract.
Actually, this is not how I remember it. IINM, the BCS contract only specifies what must happen in the coaches poll after the BS Championship Game. I don't think they have to move a team up in the poll before the game to make the sham appear to be #1 versus #2.
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm the only U of U loyalist on GC. Though I don't care much for university athletics. But it's nice to hear. I don't know, seems like a few years ago BYU had a season that was undefeated and then they tanked in the bowl games.

[ January 02, 2005, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mega:

A

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Rod.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

We are as afraid of the Unit as of the Rod.
Risuena
Member # 2924

quote:
Actually, this is not how I remember it. IINM, the BCS contract only specifies what must happen in the coaches poll after the BS Championship Game. I don't think they have to move a team up in the poll before the game to make the sham appear to be #1 versus #2.
I didn't mean to imply that the Coaches poll put LSU ahead of USC before the Sugar because they didn't. After LSU won the game, they were placed above USC partially because the Coaches are obligated to vote the winner of the BCS Championship game #1.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to point out that I am not only a graduate of the U of U, but am currently a professor at the U.

Go Utes!!!!

[quote] I am a Utah Rabbit and I live across the green
Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen.
Our Co-eds are the fairest, Oh each one's a shining star
Our call, you here is echo through the mountains near and far.

Who am I sir? A Utah Rabbit am I
A Utah Rabbit, I will be till I die
Ki! Yi!
[quote]

click here to hear the music

[ January 02, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
War Eagle!

<---Auburn grad.

<albeit, one who doesn't care much about football and didn't even know we were doing so well this year. [Big Grin] >

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.