FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canadian Hatrackers?

Author Topic: Canadian Hatrackers?
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone? Anyone?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots. [Smile]

Jaiden, twinky, Bob the Lawyer, quidscribis (now an expatriot) ...

It's like a mini CanuckLand.

My husband is Canadian by citizenship, and we hope to move back in this coming year, jobs permitting. Are you Canadian, Desdemona?

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Edmonton, and so is solo. I think there are a few other Canadians in western provinces, but most Canadian Hatrackers are in the east.

Speaking of Canada, we're about to win the World Junior Hockey championship. This will make Canada the gold medal winner in both women's and men's hockey at the olympics, the world champion in both women's and men's hockey, the World Cup winner, and the world junior champions. Further proof that Canada is the greatest hockey nation in the world.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Abbotsford...about an hour out of Vancouver and four minutes from the border
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Ottawa.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

I'm in Etobicoke, which was a suburb of Toronto, but is now part of the megacity. very WASP.

GO CANADA! I have been rabidly listening to all the juniors games on the FAN 590 radio station, because we son't get TSN in our house. How about that Sidney Crosby? some people are touting him as the "next Gretzky..."

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I'm Canadian.

I lived in the following cities/towns/villages/hamlets, in order:

Thompson, Manitoba
Kamloops, British Columbia
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Bonnyville, Alberta
Vermilion, Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta
Victoria, British Columbia
Edmonton, Alberta
Vancouver, British Columbia
Kelowna, British Columbia
Colombo, Sri Lanka (Well, that's the closest city you'll probably find on a map, anyway.)

And yes, I love Canada, but I love my expat life even more! It's mostly due to hubby, but tropical helps. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Canadian. Rigaud, Quebek. Je ne parlez pas Francais. (means I don't speak french). I BARELY got out of high school because you need to pass the french tests to get into CEGEP (Quebecs version of college about 100$ ((Canadian currency) per semester) in a french province.

Oh Canada!
Oh Canada

Our home and native land!

and the rest....

I dont umm... remember.... [Frown]

[ January 02, 2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Canada (Toronto/Ottawa) and I hope to be a Canuck by the summer.

(passed the citizenship test, hooray!)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

Nice! We had to do that citizenship test in grade five for some reason... I passed [Big Grin] We're a great country up here.

Oh Canada
Our home and native land
True patriot love
In all our son's command
God keep our land
Glorious and free
Oh Canada
We stand on guard for thee
Oh Canada
We stand on guard for theeeeee

Oh Canada
Terre de nos aïeux
Ton front et ceint
Des fleurons glorieux
Car ton bras supporter l'épée
Il sais porter la croix
Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus briliant exploits
Et ta valeur
De foi trempée
Protegera nos foyers et nos droits
Protegera nos foyers et nos droits!!

Coming up next: The Maple Leaf forever, all 4 versions!!!

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
ROCK ON, Teshi! Woot for the Maple Leaf Forever!
I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

:0)

I am rabidly Canadian, and a Liberal living in Southern Alberta to boot.

Have lived in Fort McMurray (Northern Alberta) most of my life - moved for school recently to Lethbridge.

quidscribis: When did you live in the fort (ie. Fort McMurray)? For how long? The fact thet you lived there is freaky! And how do you like Sri Lanka?

Woof!

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Should have included this in last post - Any interest in a Canadian Hatrackateer glom-together?
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad got a job offer that would have involved moving to Toronto 4 years ago. I was really excited and wanted to go, but of course my parents decided that it was best for us to stay here. [Mad]

I have always been fond of Canada [Smile]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Fort McMurray from December 1976 to 1978. First half year or so, close to downtown on either Franklin Street, or a couple of blocks off. Then the rest of the time, in Gregoire Park.

One of my best friends, Lynn, also lived in Kamloops. We'd been friends for ten years before we got around to the whole where did you live thing and discovered we both lived in Kamloops. So we compared dates, and yes, it turns out, we did live there at the same time. So we compared where in Kamloops we lived, and it turned out that we lived two blocks away from each other but went to different elementary schools. But I had a friend on her street, and I regularly went there to play with this other kid - don't remember names or anything. Whatever. So it looks pretty likely that we may have played together as children of 5 or 6 before we became friends at 18 or 18. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in London!

Ontario, yes.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
As Fitz said, I live in Edmonton. I am original from Vernon B.C. but have been in Edmonton for 4 years now.

I love Canada and I am pretty sure I will always live somewhere in The Great White North.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
ReikoDemosthenes, I didn't know you were so close. I'm in Bellingham. [Smile] (which I know is not in Canada, but often I feel as if we border towns are a bit of both)
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in Lake Placid, and was and am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I also used to pretend I was Canadian when I was younger. (my great-great grandfather's family is from Canada)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from London Ontario as well [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder Dog, I had a missionary companion who was from Lethbridge.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
My uncle teaches demography in Saskatoon.
He's Czech by origin.
He's not a Hatracker.

Does that help? [ROFL]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. Saskatoonberry jam.

*drools*

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Derrell: Last name? Lethbridge has 3 stakes... but you never know...

...quidscribis: You moved out of the Fort a few years before I got there. Were you active LDS at the time you were there? If so, I'll probably know some people you knew. Have you been back lately (ie. before moving to Sri Lanka)? It's grown tremendously. There's something like 60,000 people there now, and no signs of shrinking.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

WonderDog, yes, I was (mostly) active in the church then (activity levels dependant on the parental unit, of course), but it was so long ago that I don't know that I'll remember anyone there any more. Except Navratel. That name just popped into my conscious from nowhere. He was a chiropractor if I recall correctly.

I went back in 1984 for a few weeks and stayed with friends. You've heard of Jack Shields? Politician? I was best friends with one of his daughters, and he was campaigning in Bonnyville, ran into my brother who lived there and told him where we lived, then Jack and Pat came to Vermilion for a brief visit, then I flew back with them in their plane to the Fort.

When I was there, it had grown a lot already from the last time I'd been. I'm not surprised to hear it's grown even more.

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Gurroovey quidscribis!

Yah, the Navertil's (The Chiropracter(sp?!)) moved to southern Alberta, but he was bishop for a bit, and I knew his family, though most of thier kids were older than I. Adopted a coupole of kids, etc... great people.

Bro. Shields still comes to church in Fort McMurray once and a while when he's up working at the plants, and he has a son my age who I knew before my recent marriage. Cool, cool guy. (Both Bro. Shields and his son, Dan.)

What brought your family up there, anyway?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

No, no, no, I think you're talking about another Jack Shields. The one I'm talking about was never a member of the church that I was aware of, and he died recently. Back in December. He was wealthy - owned more businesses than I can even think about. I don't remember his sons names off-hand, but one of them was a DJ at a Ft McMurray radio station.

My father was in construction, so we moved up there so he could take advantage of the boom.

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Erm... right. Sorry. Wrong Jack Shields. You mean Jack Shields the former MP/MLA?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder Dog, his name is Vince Ferby. I served in Indiana in the late 1980's.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Born and raised in Nova Scotia, went to university in Waterloo, Ontario, and am now back in Nova Scotia for a bit before I start working in the thrilling city of Sarnia in March.

I don't remember there being any other Canadians when I registered, though maybe there were some and I just didn't know. It's nice to see the flag-waving Canadian presence here growing. [Smile]

Don't tell anyone I was in this thread, though. I'm not supposed to be here right now. [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Wonder Dog - yep, that's the one. I love that man - he was great. I wish I had a way to get ahold of his family and pass my condolences along.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.