FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm Repugnant!

Author Topic: I'm Repugnant!
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right.

I Arouse disgust or aversion; and am offensive or repulsive.

[ January 03, 2005, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, you're not so bad.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, c'mon, at least give us disgusting link of some sort.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Repugnant!
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sara, I had just taken a bite of macaroni and cheese!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
No way in heck I'm clicking that link.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*throws away his tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich*
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of that episode of Pinky and the Brain where Pinky becomes a standup comic (in order to take over the world, of course) and bases his comic routine around the word 'repugnant.'

I don't remember how it ended, though.

What an enjoyable show that was. [Smile]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it is repugnant, at least at first glance.

But it presents fascinating puzzles in the medical and ethical arenas, which is beautiful.

[And hey, guys, it is clearly labelled. You have to give me that.]

[ January 03, 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that one ended with them not taking over the world.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah?? [Razz]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

No, that is abominable.

It is worthy of or causing disgust or hatred: detestable.

[ January 03, 2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Not clicking that one, either.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Sara, what exactly are you? If I had to guess I'd pervert the old adage, "Cold hands, warm heart" to something like, "Bald head, hairy heart"

[ January 03, 2005, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I am living human tissue, and I have a unique set of human DNA.

I am growing.

I can be supported indefinitely in the right environment.

I have teeth, nails, hair, cartilage, bone, muscle, and nerve tissue.

What am I?

punwit
Member # 6388

Hmmm... some sort of botched cloning experiment?

Edit to add: Perhaps not botched but incomplete.

[ January 03, 2005, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I am naturally occurring.

I have become alive at times ever since women started having babies.

I need sustenance if I am not to die.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I know! Your a somethingtoma, a cyst, an unfertizlized egg! You grow to the size of a freaking grapefruit! You are disgusto!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

I think Dean Koontz wrote a story about you!
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

I am a teratoma!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Do I win some sort of frightening prize?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

*applause for Elizabeth

If one is going to give rational argument for determining personhood and what is human life, then one must take into account the teratoma.

I think they are amazing.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Elizabeth, I'll share my pomegranate juice. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Egads, it could be a whole new race.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why so? From the wiki entry, it appears to be only unfertilized eggs/sperm that are affected.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Yes, but it is

1. living
2. human tissue
3. with differentiated organs
4. that can be kept from dying with proper support

It is, indeed, like an imperfect clone of the mother or father. How should we treat clones? Same as children that grew from fertilized eggs, yes?

And how should we treat a fetus that we know will require indefinite life support, e.g., on a ventilator?

I don't mean to make points by asking the questions. They are real questions, and I cannot reconcile them without positing the importance of a certain level of neurological structure and organization. From the very first time I saw a teratoma in pathology class, I've been troubled by the implications. [Dont Know]

[ January 03, 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Practicing medicine is taking a ringside seat for the theater of life in all its gore and glory.
quote:
Few ways of life were hidden from Physician, and he was oftener in its darkest places than even Bishop. There were brilliant ladies about London who perfectly doted on him, my dear, as the most charming creature and the most delightful person, who would have been shocked to find themselves so close to him if they could have known on what sights those thoughtful eyes of his had rested within an hour or two, and near to whose beds, and under what roofs, his composed figure had stood. But Physician was a composed man, who performed neither on his own trumpet, nor on the trumpets of other people. Many wonderful things did he see and hear, and much irreconcilable moral contradiction did he pass his life among; yet his equality of compassion was no more disturbed than the Divine Master's of all healing was. He went, like the rain, among the just and unjust, doing all the good he could, and neither proclaiming it in the synagogues nor at the corner of streets.

-- Dickens, Little Dorritt

I say "ringside" hesitantly, because it implies being a spectator only, as if gawking at a freakshow. There is nothing farther from the truth. Medicine is the fullest participation in life -- one's own and others' -- that I have ever found.

[ January 03, 2005, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is officially the weirdest thread ever.

Be sure and put in on the calendar for 2005.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
I've known it all along. But I'm proud of you for finally admitting it.
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
At least you're not annoying like me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Kaioshin.
This thread is just too heated, I suppose.

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm reminded of that episode of Pinky and the Brain where Pinky becomes a standup comic (in order to take over the world, of course) and bases his comic routine around the word 'repugnant.'

I don't remember how it ended, though.

What an enjoyable show that was. [Smile]

actually i think Brain becomes the comic, but otherwise i agree completely
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, about as repugnant as Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream... or a box of warm krispy kremes right off the waterfallofliquidsugar. [Wink]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
At least you're not annoying like me.
Yep, as annoying as Allison Krauss's singing.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BunnV
Member # 6816

- posted      Profile for BunnV   Email BunnV         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep, as annoying as Allison Krauss's singing.
Haha, could you similie me with someone I would actually know? And it better be someone really annoying, or I won't approve. [Wink]
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I am eating a kiwi without peeling off the skin.

Boo!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Sara, I'm afraid that scarred me for life. Almost as badly as a few weeks ago when someone linked me to a page on harlequin baby syndrome.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You are joking, right kaioshin?

You alright?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

quote:
Haha, could you similie me with someone I would actually know? And it better be someone really annoying, or I won't approve.
You can listen to a sample here if you like (it's the first one). [Smile]

[ January 04, 2005, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:
You are joking, right kaioshin?

You alright?

Yes I'm fine ... just making a dobie of the "I'm pregnant!" thread.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.