FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift to Aid Tsunami Victims: New collection for Katrina -- Total $357 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift to Aid Tsunami Victims: New collection for Katrina -- Total $357
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
On the radio this morning, their was a list of state approved agencies for Hurricane relief. Evidently there are a number of scams operating phony relief organizations (moan).

The top recommendation was to donate to the American Red Cross. It seems that right now they are on the front lines are getting aid to the victims fastest.

In the past we've avoided donating to church groups in the hatrack group donations because we wanted everyone at hatrack to feel at ease participating. Many people feel uncomfortable contributing to a church they aren't part of even if it is for a specific relief effort.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an official statement on why we should go through the Red Cross.

quote:
Tim Gobble, Director of Emergency Management in Bradley County Tennessee, said "we are asking that individuals, groups, churches, etc. who are collecting relief supplies refrain from shipping or taking them the to the area at this time. Because there are no adequate resources available to sort, store and disseminate the items that are shipped."

Gobble says if organizations just drive down to the Gulf Coast states without specific guidance from F.E.M.A. or the Red Cross the supplies may just sit in trucks for quite some time and not get to victims.

So he says if you do bring donations make sure the organization is approved by F.E.M.A. or the Red Cross. Better yet, Gobble says giving the Red Cross, Salvation Army or other government approved relief agencies a check will ensure monies go to buying the needed supplies and that they are distributed in areas where they are needed the most.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I said church, but what I really want is to find a family who has lost everything, and send them some money. And whether you are religious or not, churches know specific people in need.

Or, we could send a check directly to a specific place where people are being taken.

Just a thought.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Wow, I've already started receiving donations.

Current Total: $30

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks Guys, We are now at $60.

This is the 4th time I've organized a collection at Hatrack and everytime I'm awed by the Hatrack community.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who, like me, are unable to contribute anything / more than they already have financially, there are other ways you can help.

Even though the Red Cross and other official relief organizations are discouraging the donation of physical items (food, blankets, etc.) because of a lack of distribution methods, MoveOn.org has organized a housing drive for victims.

If you live within 300 miles of New Orleans and have a spare bed, a spare couch or even an air mattress and a place to put it, please visit Hurricane Housing.org and sign up!

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: $160
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I also heard on the radio this morning that they are preparing to house as many as 1000 refugees in Utah and we aren't anywhere close to the Gulf Coast. The plan is to have churches provide meals for these refugees, so even if you don't have a bed there could be an opportunity for you to cook dinner or lunch for Hurricane victims.
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll donate to my church, if that's okay. I don't really care to give a percentage of my donations to Paypal. Do you want to know how much I give to add to the tally?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
People in the Detroit area, Hamson, Telp, Ramdac, (I think you three are the other local Metro Detroiters), get ready. Mayor Kilpatrick is planning on bringing in 3,000 refugees to the Detroit area to stay on a long term basis. Maybe the four of us could volunteer at a shelter facility if such help is requested.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, I feel bad that I can only give a small amount this time, but my gift is sent, for what it's worth. I also gave through the church humanitarian fund here .

I'm going to fast 8 days over the next few weeks and am sending the money I save to hurricane relief. Anyone who wants to join me in fasting for the victims, please do. Don't fast more than is healthy for you, though. I don't do more than 24 hours in a row and have at least one whole day of eating normally between fast days.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Please contribute how ever you think is best, but for the sake of management I think I will include only donations made to the American Red Cross and dedicated to the Hatrack River Forum in the tally.

Also, as a note on PayPal. If you make payments through PayPal from your bank account, I get the full amount. If you make the payments through PayPal with a credit card, PayPal deducts 3% (this is the fee charged by the Credit Card companies). Whenever you make a donation or buy something using a Credit Card, the agency ends up with 3% less than you pay. There is a reason why you get so many of the Credit Card applications in the mail.

In the past, I have eaten the 3%. When I've made the final combined donation, I made it for the total amount people sent and not for the amount I received. I'll do that this time too.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thank Anne Kate.

New Total: $170

The Rabbit
Member # 671

New Total: $180
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Bump to show new total: $205
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit -- I admire what you are doing here, as it is a very good thing.

Forgive me for not giving through Hatrack. It is just that with every local TV station taking donations, every local radio station taking donations, my employer taking donations, and my church taking donations -- all for Katrina relief, I have already given as much out this month as I can.

However, the need will go on for several months, so I hope to be able to give more over the next few paychecks..

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The music festival we are going to this weekend is a Cajun and Zydeco festival, and they are doing a huge fundraising thing. So I will probably giv through that, as my other groupie world has its own charity set up.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent mine, even though it's not very much. Thanks for doing this again Rabbit. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent mine in Rabbit. Sorry it couldn't be more, but I donated through our local talk radio station before I found this thread. I should've known Hatrack would do something like this.

Thanks for taking care of this. You're awesome Rabbit. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
There are refugees in Dallas.
I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

The governor has granted any refugee from Louisiana, Mississippi, or Arkansas who stays in Texas full food stamps for the next two months.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Doh!

My wife and I already gave some to the Red Cross (and I gave an extra bit to the UCC on my own).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

If you've already given, no worries.

We have discussed before about giving as individuals and giving as "Hatrack". I keep doing this "Hatrack" donations because I like what doing something like this as a community says about our community. It's part of what keeps me here.

Their are lots of ways to build community. If don't like this idea, I'm sure you will find other ways of building the Hatrack community.

If you like this way, then put a few dollars into the pool. If you don't have the spare change this time but you like the idea, we will do it again this year at Christmas.

If you've already given through some other avenue, you need feel no grief. I certainly hope that Hatrack isn't the only community in anyone's life.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

The total keeps going up!!
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for doing this again, Rabbit. I wish I could give more . I'll be continuing to give though ELCA Disaster Response over the next few months.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

How did this thread get an exclamation mark by it?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

How did this thread get an exclamation mark by it?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you dedicate your donation?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Go to this American Red Cross Site

https://secure2.convio.net/arc/site/Donation?ACTION=SHOW_DONATION_OPTIONS&CAMPAIGN_ID=1161

Near the bottom of the donation form, check the box that is labeled
quote:
I would like to make this donation in honor or memory of someone else.
Then hit next step and the web site will ask you for the details.
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
I did it, Rabbit. This is one of those threads that I believe evidences the quality of the Hatrack community, and having it at the top of the page for a while seemed to me to be a good thing. I wouldn't want it missed.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Wanted to let you guys know I'm not shunning this thread, my boyfriend and I gave $200.00 yesterday to the Red Cross before I saw this. I gave $50 to the Humane Society of the US yesterday as well. I'm going to continue to give them $50 every paycheck I get but I want it to go specifically to them. If my boyfriend wants to give more to the Red Cross I'll do it here though.

[Group Hug]
Hugs for us all.
Nikki

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks Papa.

I'm won't be on the computer this weekend to keep bumping the thread and I was worried it might drop out of site before I came in on Monday.

Everytime I've done this I've been absolutely overwhelmed by the generocity and trust of the people from the Hatrack community. It's something that restores my faith in humanity even when it seeems that American civilization is going to heck in a hand basket.

You people are incredible.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
JCPenney is matching donations, so all my donations will go through them because it makes more sense. I donated $20 yeasterday. I am moving soon, so I don't have a lot to spare, but compared to some of those poor people I hae the whole world so I had to give something...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit,

I'm from Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas though I haven't lived at "home" for almost 10 long years. A lot of displaced people are in Baton Rouge now and renting and buying homes and trying to send their kids to school and set up temporary businesses, etc. Some permanently because they were wiped out. In fact Baton Rouge is still getting power back on.

I remember a few years back when I was visiting that a new Morman church opened on Highland Road and my family went to take a tour (though I was sick and missed out).

Perhaps that church is doing something for specific families that a Hatrack pooled donation could help, like Elizabeth is saying faster or more directly?

I see from your profile that you are in Utah and maybe I'm wrong assuming you may be Morman or have the resources to check out my idea?

I'd be interested. Thank you for suggesting.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit, can the money pooled here be donated to someone who will match the donation? Like JCPenney?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. I support that.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not donating for hurricane relief, although I think it's a great cause and I'm grateful that so many are. I think you'll forgive me if I tell you that I'm still donating money every month to the tsunami relief.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit - this is from the Baton Rouge paper.

If you've been watching WBRZ, you've seen the toll Hurricane Katrina has taken on southeast Louisiana. Now, WBRZ and The Advocate are giving you two
ways to help with Relief 2 Louisiana.

Relief 2 Louisiana establishes
two funds: one for displaced residents and another for the rebuilding of New Orleans.

The Hurricane Katrina Displaced Residents Fund will benefit those individuals evacuated to Baton Rouge from the hurricane impacted areas in Greater New Orleans, who are now unable to return for what maybe an extended period. The Hurricane Katrina New Orleans Recovery Fund will focus on the rebuilding of infrastructure to provide basic human services to residents of these devastated areas.

If you would like to make a secure financial donation to one or both of these funds using your credit card, debit card, online check or via PayPal, simply click here.

You donations are sorely needed, and tax deductible. Donations by check are to be mailed or delivered to the Foundation's physical address:

Baton Rouge Area Foundation
402 N. Fourth Street
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I'll use my PayPal account, so I'm erring on the safe side a bit. [Smile] What exactly do I have to do to send a donation? I see that I have to type in an email address, and I was wondering which one it is in this case? Rabbit's email address in the profile or HatrackForum@yahoo.com (seen it mentioned in a post)?

I'll check this later today and will make a donation then.
[Group Hug] Katrina victims [Group Hug]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I support through my synagogue.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
It's her email as in the profile.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Theaca. Email sent.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants to do the matching donation thing, I will take it and give it to JCPenney if you want...as long as it comes from an employee they will match it, although I will look into it to make sure if anyone is interested.

I am not sure there is a limit on contrabutions, I think I heard people talking about contributing significatly more than what we had and JCPenney was matching the total. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*weirded out* I think the "tsunami" in the title is a mistake . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's historically accurate. Look at the date on the first post.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
OIC. Thread recycling! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Hatrack. You guys all amaze me.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the best place to put it.

I know there are many places asking for donations, and there are many options. Here is one more option.

I have three friends who all just barely moved to New Orleans. One is a law student, and the other two just got married and moved there for the husband's residency.

The law student is 30, and starting his second career. He moved to New Orleans about three weeks ago, so he didn't have renter's insurance yet. It was on his list of things to do. He has been able to become a visiting student in California at Chapman University until Loyola is able to take the students again.

He has nothing. He was gone for the weekend visiting a friend, so all he had was what he took for that weekend trip. His apartment has been flooded, so he lost everything. He is in California because he has some family he can stay with, but they are cramped and that is not a permanent solution.

The couple got married a few months ago, and they are now staying with family here in Dallas for a month until they know where the husband is being transferred. They were able to save only what they could fit in the wife's car when she left for Houston last Saturday. The husband has only his wallet and the scrubs he was wearing - they evacuated the hospital so quickly he wasn't allowed to go to his car and get his bag. They lost all their wedding presents and household items, and they may or may not have had insurance. They will know within a month where the husband will be transferred. The wife is able to work, although she doesn't have a job right now. We are hoping they can stay in Dallas - there are family and friends here, and the wife could get her old job back since they haven't replaced her yet.

I didn't think of them as needing help at first because their futures are so much brighter than many of the evacuees, but their present situation is the same as most other refugees: not much.

If anyone's interested, I can find out from them exactly what they need.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We're a heck of a drive from Chapman University (and I don't know if he even has a car), but the law student can stay with us. We just moved Superstation in with Mooselet, so our nursery/guest room is empty for the time being.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, you and Mama are some very special people.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.