FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How Dare You?

Author Topic: How Dare You?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Many of my colleagues at work often "diss" science-fiction. I almost ask them......How Dare You? I usually leave it alone and swiftly try to guide them into sci-fi(often through Ender's Game) has anyone else had this problem or just me?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I just pity them.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Once when I worked at Kinko's, I was on my break in the back room, reading...guess what..Ender's Game..when a certain young lady I worked with came back and asked what class I "had" to read that for. I told her, "No, I am just reading this for pleasure". You should have seen the look of credulity on her face..after opening and closing her mouth like a fish a few times, she remarked "You're weird" and walked away.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
I teach a unit on science fiction to my seventh graders, including some McCaffrey, Wells, and Bradbury...these are the authors included in our accepted textbook, but I'm fortunate to have any at all. I find that the students I teach who possess the strongest vocabularies, broadest minds, and greatest imaginations, are usually science fiction readers. Still, it's hard to convince co-workers that teaching the material is a legitimate use of educational time. Sigh.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a class in Science Ficion literature last semester, and unfortunately everything was overanalyzed. We read Ender's Game, and even though Card says not to look for deep and arcane connections in the beginning, even it was overanalyzed. Oh well. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, he says you can look for deep and arcane meanings, but you can also get a lot out of it just by reading it.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people I know openly like speculative science fiction (i.e. 1984) but dislike Science Fiction.

The only difference is the name, people!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
We read H2G2 for my Gen Ed math class in college. IIRC, it was my professor's way of connecting the subject material (basically learning how to use Excel) to Christian faith. How ironic is that?
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sci Fi Rools! [Hail]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem here. Reading Sci-fi is seldom criticize. My sister who has a high degree in modern literature and classical literature like read one between a Victor Hugo's and a Umberto Eco's. I also read many different type of book.

Nevertheless, at school, Classics are the only type of books teached. Fortunatelly, Some Classical autors have writen fantastic like Guy de Maupassant (Le Horla), Gustave Flaubert (SalambĂ´), And especially Jules Verne and Edgar Allan Poe.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.