FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Appropriate quiz: Which author are you? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Appropriate quiz: Which author are you?
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the latter, Morbo. [Smile]

I've been stuck in Latin American literature for the past couple years and have been neglecting my scifi duties.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It looks like most people have never heard of the authors they supposedly are. Is the test weird, or are we not real sci-fi geeks?

You're on OSC's site. Of course you're not real sci-fi geeks. [Wink]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also Hal.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The guy's [Arthur Clarke] so stuck on himself that he talks for hours. And watches videos of himself being interviewed. And documentaries done on him, and so on. And so on. And so on."
Funny but pathetic. I hope I never get such a monster ego.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Isaac Asimov............is that bad?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! I'm Ayn Rand? Ayn Rand?!

That test is evil.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that Asmiov was a genius. So I will say that that is good.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well even if Arthur C Clark has developed an ego in his later years, he wrote some amazing books in his younger ones. And I'm rather suspicious that he'd have that much of an ego, there may be more to it...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this is weird. In all the years I've been reading science ficion, hundreds and hundreds of books by many, many authors, there has only been one novel I was unable to force myself to finish because I dislike the writing style and the material bored me. It was by Arthur C. Clarke. Guess which author I'M supposed to be?

Scary.

I'm sure there are all sorts of psychological implications here....I find my own writing boring, I dislike my own work....I rarely finish anything I begin to write....

Of couse, it could simply be a silly little quiz that I shouldn't take too seriously...Hmmm....

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've picked up a number of Greg Benford's books and never ever finished one. And thats who I originally got. So it might just have something to do with the quiz. We like authors styles that differ from our own cause well, we're used to our own [Wink]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
William Gibson here too. Sndrake, we're mental kin. Now that is a scary thought
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised at all the people you all haven't heard of. [Razz]

Benford is . . . okay. I've read six or seven of his books, so he can't be too bad, but he can often be pretty boring.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I read one short story by Triptree . . . "The Women Men Don't see" or whatever. I found it to be too strident in its feminism.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Benford is interesting, but long-winded. The one book of his I recall (um, time-travel (no, not travel -- sending a message to a younger you?), irreversible damage to the biosphere, set in the 1970s . . . [Dont Know] ) I didn't like the first time I read it, but it grew on me.

Ah, checked Amazon. It's Timescape.

quote:
Cordwainer Smith (Paul M.A. Linebarger)

I've never heard of this person! [Confused]

Ditto!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok, Amazon says about Cordwainer Smith
quote:
The third story in this volume takes place 16,000 years in the future. When you realize that the 33 stories are ordered chronologically, you begin to grasp the scale of Cordwainer Smith's creation. Regimes, technologies, planets, moralities, religions, histories all rise and fall through his millennia.

These are futuristic tales told as myth, as legend, as a history of a distant and decayed past. Written in an unadorned voice reminiscent of James Tiptree Jr., Smith's visions are dark and pessimistic, clearly a contrast from the mood of SF in his time; in the 1940s, '50s, and '60s it was still thought that science would cure the ills of humanity. In Smith's tales, space travel takes a horrendous toll on those who pilot the ships through the void. After reaching perfection, the lack of strife stifles humanity to a point of decay and stagnation; the Instrumentality of Mankind arises in order to stir things up. Many stories describe moral dilemmas involving the humanity of the Underpeople, beings evolved from animals into humanlike forms.

Yeesh! [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stanislav Lem

This pessimistic Pole has spent a whole career telling ironic stories of futility and frustration. Yet he is also a master of wordplay so witty that it sparkles even when translated into English.

okaaaaaaaay

edit: is it true that all the "jen"s who have taken this test got Stanislav Lem? I did, and I noticed that jeni did too...

[ January 04, 2005, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Jules Verne
The 19th century Frenchman who made science fiction into a successful commercial genre.

I'll need to look up what he did. ^_^

Hey, I do know who this is, I know his works but not by his name... eh-heh.

http://www.online-literature.com/verne/

Ironic, I was watching October Sky, (Still am) and Homer grabs a copy of From the Earth to the Moon. I saw that like five minutes before I took the test... man, I have a short memory don't I? ^_^

[ January 04, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, some of you people scare me.

Do you really call yourself science fiction fans? How can you possibly be familiar with this genre if you've never heard of Lem, Farmer, Tiptree, Cordwainer Smith, and Jules freakin' Verne?

I'm apparently Heinlein, BTW.

[ January 04, 2005, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Kurt Vonnegut? "For years, this unique creator of absurd and haunting tales denied that he had anything to do with science fiction." So my guy is in denial? Anyone ever heard of him?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

I read him in high school for English class.

I've been meaning to get back to him.

And yes, it's sad that people haven't even heard of Jules Verne.

[ January 04, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*beats head against wall*

Okay, I clearly slipped through a crack into some Bizarro universe where everyone else on Hatrack apparently grew up reading, um, Diane Duane or something.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
People not having heard of these authors scares me, but the idea of Tom as Heinlein scares me more. I like Tom.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there OSC? It would be funny if there was and OSC took the quiz and wasn't himself.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I took it again and changed some answers I wasn't so sure about and got Arthur C. Clarke. Mph, were you talking to me? Can you tell me some books by him? I want to read me [Smile]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I am apparently Arthur C. Clarke. How interesting to find out that I am really a middle-aged, balding man.

I'm not even a fan of Arthur C. Clarke, though.

(Edited for TomDavidson, to allow Mr. Clarke to have his silent 'e'.)

[ January 05, 2005, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: BelladonnaOrchid ]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

No matter how much you dislike him, he still has a right to his silent "e."
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my score:

LeGuin -- I've read her
Isaac Asimov -- read
Kurt Vonnegut -- read
William Gibson -- read
Frank Herbert -- read
Philip José Farmer -- read
Robert A. Heinlein -- read
Arthur C. Clarke -- read
Jules Verne -- read

Ayn Rand -- heard of but never read
James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice B. Sheldon) -- heard of, but never read

Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs) -- never heard of
Cordwainer Smith (Paul M.A. Linebarger) -- never heard of him
Stanislav Lem -- never heard of
Gregory Benford -- never heard of
John Brunner -- never heard of
E.E. "Doc" Smith -- never heard of him
Olaf Stapledon -- never heard of him
David Brin -- never heard of

[ January 04, 2005, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

hee hee hee
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

I'm currently on a Vonnegut reading spree (read some short stories years ago, have been meaning to get to him for a while) and loving it.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Vonnegut teaches English at my old high school.

Sadly, he and his famous grandfather hate each other with a passion that is almost holy.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I've seen 'Cordwainer's on shelves because the name is so distinctive, but I've never read any of them.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Samuel R. Delany.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Tom, no dissing Diane Duane! [No No]

And I have heard of Lem, Farmer, Tiptree, and Verne. (I think I've even read all of them.) I also know of (but have not read) Vonnegut, Clarke, Gibson, Delany, Clement/Stubbs, and most of the others mentioned in this thread.

I read Heinlein, but I scrubbed my brain afterward.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Which Heinlein? I find that I love some of his stuff, and hate others.
rivka
Member # 4859

A whole bunch of his later stuff, when I was a teenager.

Then I used a phrase I had picked up from one of the books at the dinner table -- with my grandfather there, no less -- and quickly discovered that it was NOT appropriate to use that particular phrase as a general-use expression. [Embarrassed]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The stuff of his I hate is generally his later stuff.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Tom's question - I definitely do not call myself a science fiction fan. I'm a fan of good fiction from all genres.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Greg Benford. I don't think Neal Stephenson is on there. Oh well. [Grumble]

I was introduced to Lem last semester with two short stories from a book called The Cyberiad. I want to hook him up to a machine so I can syphon off all his creativity for myself. He's one of the few authors that can make me laugh while reading.

Octavia Butler is awesome! Everything I've read by her has been very spartan and kinda depressing, but also very interesting.

Not a fan of Asimov, or Clarke. Some Heinlein stuff is okay, but I tend to be wary of his writing.

Most of the other writers on the list I've been meaning to read, of have never heard of.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

Apparently, everyone knows Kurt Vonnegut and I've never even heard of him [Grumble] . Annie, mph, Paul, can any of you recommend a good book by him that I could try?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

No. I didn't like him.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like him either. If you want to know what Vonneget is all about, read Cat's Cradle.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I need to read that one to see if I still don't like him.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
David Brin....what did he write?

I'd rather be Frank Herbert, I liked Dune and Children of Dune.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
(imogen here - boy I'm lazy [Smile] )

I'm a cross between Greg Benford and Ursula Le Guin. Sounds good to me!

Kama, you should read some Octavia Butler. Rivka got me onto her and her work is fantastic! Try the Xenogenesis Trilogy - the first book is called Dawn.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
David Brin is oh so entertaining and interesting.

Ever heard of the Kevin Costner movie The Postman? He wrote that. The book is excellent.

Practice Effect.
Uplift Saga (Series - I need to get the rest of them.)
Earth
Kiln People (Love it!!!!)
Life Eaters
Second Foundation Trilogy
Otherness
Glory Season
River of Time

And a whole bunch more. And now I'm salivating. I need a serious David Brin fix, and I need it NOW! He's one of my all-time favorites.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to add to your reading some french autors :
Jules Verne (of course),
René Barjavel (creator of idea as temporal paradox, i strongly recommand him),
Pierre Boule (who Wrote "La planète des singes" (Planet of the Apes)),
Jean-Pierre Andrevon,
Louis Boussenard,
André Laurie,
Gérard Klein.

At this list, I'd like to add Boris Vian who wrote interesting SF books as "Et on tuera tous les affreux" where he treat of gene science just after the WW2.

I forget many french SF writer, because during the 50's to the 80's, French are poor in SF production. the 90's saw a rebirth of this style. I hope to read more french autors in the futur.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

LeGuin -- I've read all of her Ecumen books. I own her Earthsea ooks but haven't gotten around to reading them.
Isaac Asimov -- I believe I have read ALL of his science fiction writings (I know, an audacious claim), I have read two or three compilations of mysteries by him, two different memoirs, and a joke book. [Smile]
Kurt Vonnegut -- I've read all of his books. I don't Cat's Cradle was his best. I would recommend Sirens of Titan, or, for more serious absurdism, Slaughterhouse Five.
William Gibson -- Know him by reputation only.
Frank Herbert -- Okay, here's the big admission: I have never read anyting by Frank Herbert.
Philip José Farmer -- I think I have read one short story by him; he had one in Dangerous Visions right?
Robert A. Heinlein -- Again, I believe I have read everything by Heinlein, including Anson McDonald. I have even read his recently released, previously unpublished first "novel."
Arthur C. Clarke -- read
Jules Verne -- read
Ayn Rand -- I've read Anthem, Foundation and about half about Atlas Shrugged before the phase ended violently and I threw the book down in disgust.
James Tiptree, Jr. (Alice B. Sheldon) -- read (and did not care for) one short story.
Hal Clement (Harry C. Stubbs) -- I've read one or two short stories
Cordwainer Smith (Paul M.A. Linebarger) -- short stories
Stanislav Lem -- Cor read Solaris, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Gregory Benford -- Read about six or seven novels. Timescape and his Galactic Center novels. The Galactic Center novels are uneven, but not as boring as Timescape is capable of being.
John Brunner -- never heard of either
E.E. "Doc" Smith -- sort stories
Olaf Stapledon -- Name vaguely rings a bell. Did he have anything in Dangerous Visions?
David Brin -- I've read the two Uplift series and everything else I ave gotten ahold of since then. If you have a hard time getting through Sundiver, keep slogging. It gets a lot better.

People who are notably absent so far:
Card, Dan Simmons, Nancy Kress, Charles Sheffield, Phillip K. Dick

Who else really ought to be here?

Choobak
Member # 7083

Currently, the french SF autors vote for Dick as the most appreciate SF writer.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Say that again? I don't know what you are trying to say.
Choobak
Member # 7083

[Frown] sorry...

I mean that french SF Writers participate to a vote to select who is the Best SF Writer. And Dick is this man with a very good score.

I'll try to be more explicite next time.
All my apologies.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.