FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » You might not agree with this war, but what were doing must be done. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: You might not agree with this war, but what were doing must be done.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
It also helps that they spin when leaving the barrel because of a series of spiral grooves to direct gaseous energy. Thread rifling, it's the wave of the future. [Smile]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfft. It's a fad. It's all in the fletching, I tell you!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Having you misspell like that makes me wince, stop it! Are you familiar with the Lessons of Don Juan?

A man of knowledge abandons personal history by wrapping himself in a fog of uncertainty, think of it as a lesson in humility, you must look for truth in the lies rather then looking for faults in the truth.

The same way that one finds concise laws in the chaos of nature.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"A man of knowledge abandons personal history by wrapping himself in a fog of uncertainty, think of it as a lesson in humility, you must look for truth in the lies rather then looking for faults in the truth."

Well, it certainly worked for Cedrios. But let me suggest that rather than looking for truth in lies or faults in truth, it's better to look for truth in truth and faults in lies.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In time of war, peace does not create world peace. In time of war, War creates peace.
Um...

What?

[Confused]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In time of war, peace does not create world peace. In time of war, War creates peace.
Like i said, in time of war you can't try and resolve the problems at hand with politcal talk from officials. This war must be settled with War, we're to far into this to stop now. So now War must be resolved with war, peace talk can only happen during some type of surrender, but in this case that will never happen. At school when something wrong happend you told the teacher, guidance counseler, princaple, etc. They settled the conflict, in the real world you may be able to call a police officer to ref. the situation, but in this whole world America has no one to go to, so we must do everything ourselves. No other country is helping us, and if anyone is, it is very little. We attempted to talk to the UN, but being our rebelious nation we still agreed with war. Now we are in Iraq, and will be till this conflict is over and Al-quiada is distraught and or destroyed. Some of you may not agree, that is your opinion and i value that, but really think about it.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh did I post that as Bean Counter? Oops! Well now you know my secret identity, I am really a postman in the dead letter office, I am not a soldier, just a Clive Barker fan in Omaha.

Hee Hee Hee.

Bean, Bean, Bean.

You are not interacting in good faith. [No No]

People are not objects to play with; they are ends in themselves. Inauthenticity does not make one deep and mysterious, it makes one a coward.

Embrace the hard quest! Be a champion!

Act in good faith. [Smile]

[I am glad you haven't left Hatrack; we're not through with you yet. [Wink] [Wave] ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, war is peace.

If I avoid this thread, does it mean that ignorance is strength?

[Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It means strength is ignorance. You were mistaken. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
"He who does not strike first, is first struck"

-Leonides of Sparta

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Which explains why the civilization of Sparta was beloved around the world, and is still on the cutting edge of culture today.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

- posted      Profile for Hermocrates of Syracuse           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Rhaegar, but actually Hermocrates said that, have you been playing a bit too much Rome Total War lately?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well for Sara Sasse, from what you quoted i had the impression that you think that i'm some one else, but i am myself. (Let's get back on Topic shall we?)
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Liar! I am myself, DP, and I am most clearly not you! I'm going to call you out on this one. [Razz]

[ January 07, 2005, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

Sadam was yes a bad person, yes he was evil, yatah yatah yatah, the facts lie here, the actual military overthrow of Sadam was one of the best performed military actions in recent history, but the fact remains, the reconstruction was horribly botched, undermanned, and ill planned. Now I voted for the fellow, twice, but I will admit that the reconstruction was horrbily botched as should all people of honest mind.

Hermocrates

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"the reconstruction was horrbily botched"

Why are we using the past tense? The reconstruction is being horribly botched as we speak.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, so Disgruntled Postman is Bean Counter, who is not away on a military mission that everyone wished him luck on? And I stuck my neck out and defended him in this thread?

Ouch.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

True Thomas, it is still bad but it is improving, slowly...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, I said we should all shun Bean Counter, and you people called me unreasonable. Y'all knew he was a scorpion when you picked him up.
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

Annoying little reptiles....
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you didn't say so about DP, Tom. You are slipping!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hermocrates of Syracuse
Member # 7233

Midwest
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Two greetings in one thread (albeit one greeting was a re-greeting of Bean Counter, damn pseudonyms!), what luck!

*hands Hermocrates of Syracuse a cookie and a Taleswapper plushie* Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Just one?
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

No, i am not Bean Counter.
quote:
Well now you know my secret identity, I am really a postman in the dead letter office
I believe that he was reffering to his actual job, this is just a name that i use for such things as this forum.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

Anyway, on the whole issue on the reconstruction of Iraq and such. When your vacuming and they're still little dirt spots on you rug you can't call it clean, because it isn't. So you go and vacum again and get it out. Well in way(metophorically or course) we're doing the same thing over in Iraq. We thought it was clean at first, thus why President Bush made a statement about victory and such. We won in a sense, but those little dirt clogs are still in the rug. Now we just have to vacum again and be sure to get rid of it.
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*agreed with Tom, agrees with Tom, and will continue to agree with Tom*

Mind games aren't my thing.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
I always will be delighted to discuss something on Hatrack with someone who is acting in good faith, regardless of what has happened in the past. [Smile] It can stay in the past, but there has to be authenticity in the current relationship, or it just isn't worth it. Not for me.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I for one did not disagree with you. I don't know that I actively agreed with you or not - I'd have to dig up the thread and check. But yes, I agree.

So. Now. Current theories - does this strengthen or weaken the Bean Counter = Jar Head theory? And does Bean Counter = TheDisgruntledPostman? I have my own opinions, but I'm curious what y'all think.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I think: [Roll Eyes]

I also think that when I saw Sara post this:

quote:
[I am glad you haven't left Hatrack; we're not through with you yet.]
I for some reason saw her rolling Bean Counter in breadcrumbs. O_o Am I crazy or oh so right?
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
BC = TDP = Verb-fan?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't really clean. Bush has a terrible habit of slapping a bandage on a gaping wound and calling it healed.
He seems to have rushed through this whole war process, seriously thinking it would only take a few months, less than a year and the more people try to insist this isn't the case, the more he seems to ignore this.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

I am not Bean Counter, ill let you people think what ever the hell you want, but im not im telling you that right now. Do you want proof? Does bean counter have XboxLive and Halo2Me on halo2 stats like i said many times, i dont know what caused people to think im BC, mabye your thinking along the line of Peter Wiggin with Locke and Dementhose. But i know who i am but if you people must go on thinking im who you want me to be.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

Please get back on topic and stop worrying about me.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Bean Counter,

I find you and the young males like you on this board to be increasingly frustrating. You need to grow out of your infantile love of the military. Guns and tanks and stuff may be neato when you're in grade school, but those of us who have matured beyond junior high realize that the military isn't all that cool and is just as fallible as any other institution. They can make mistakes.

I'd also better not find out that you or anybody else has been pretending to go to Iraq for any reason. I have three family members who've been in the Middle East and they didn't risk their lives so a bunch of punk kids can use the social status associated with going to war to push their own poorly thought-out, childish agenda.

My brother was nearly killed twice, once by a mortar another time while driving the Hummer at the end of a convoy. He didn't spend seven months in Junction City and Fallujah because Bush is awesome or he thought that what they were doing in Iraq was good for the country- he did it because he was ordered there and he followed those orders like a good soldier.

What he did was not "neat." He didn't like it. He prefers being back home in the US and we're all glad he's back. He doesn't like war-few people do-and those who do have some serious problems they need to work out.

I can't do anything to you. You are anonymous and I'm sure you're well aware of this- which is why you continue in your games. I can't travel to your house to beat the living ... stuff out of you- even though you deserve it. I don't really have the time to make sure your time on the internet is a living hell, but I do know that I'm sick of your crap and I'm happy to see that the rest of hatrack is. So... I conclude with this...

Go to hell.
-Glynn

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
PC, that was one of the best damn posts I've seen on Hatrack. [Hail]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Woo! You go!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

Well if you still think im BC, i dont care anymore. Primal You are right in saying that i do not know how you feal about having family in Iraq, because i don't. I can see why your angry at me, but why did your family member join this cause? To protect your family, and this country, and im sure there is many other reasons. But your family member(s) did not join(what ever type of the forces) against there own will. They have a reason for being in this war. They may hate it(as most vets and soldiers do because no one can really enjoy that). Everynight before i go to bed i always say a pray for all soldiers in Iraq. I can not know personally what you and many other wifes, husbands, daughters, sisters, sons, brothers, and all family members tied to the one person are fealing when you hear about deaths in the Country. My sincerest appologizes if i offended you in anyway.
Disgruntled

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
PC [Hail]
Sara [Hail]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. I can't imagine people still believe the fiction that the war in Iraq is really about protecting Americans anymore. I never believed that it was.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Neither did I. It seemed too sudden. Too... wrong.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

DP, I never said that you were BC. Why? Are you?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

No, because everyone of this post was acting as i was, and i assumed that you were directed your post to me
quote:
Dear Bean Counter
. If it wasnt to me, i still stick with the apology that i gave to you after. Because i started this post, and i guess ill take responsabilty of what comes from it. I hope your family members come home safe.
-Disgruntled

Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
*falls off chair laughing*
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

I guess i did sound really corny, were's TBS funny when you need'um.
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Glynn, you're getting a bit soft in your old age. A few more years and you'd be down right cuddly. [Smile]

Great post.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
It's almost like John's influence is wearing off us all.... pity that...
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm about as cuddly as a diseased jelly fish.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

Can a jelly fish become diseased?
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

No, but many suffer the pain of disenchantment.

*solemn moment

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.