FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When a series continues, but you decide it is over, but then you go back on your word (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When a series continues, but you decide it is over, but then you go back on your word
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone read the Symphony of the Ages trilogy?

I just finished the first three books, which I thought were a self contained trilogy. Nope. Turns out there is a whole other series. Argh. I don't think I will read them. I think I am done, and this trilogy wrapped up nicely.

I did the same thing with Wizard's First Rule. It was OK, and I know there is a plethora of books after that one, but I convinced myself all was well in that world, and moved on.

In general, after getting strung along by Robert Jordan, I check to see if a series is finite before I start it. I really thought this Rhapsody series was a trilogy and that was that.

Does anyone else have this issue?

[ February 12, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I could mention Xanth, but I honestly think that a large part of my decision that the series was over was simply the fact that I outgrew Piers Anthony's writing style. So I don't know if that counts.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, are you sure you aren't me? although I think Jenni would be upset...

I did the same thing with that series....and I wish I had done that with Goodkinds too. I liked the first three by him, but he lost me after that.

And I haven't read The Crystal City yet....even though that is my favorite OSC series....I didn't like Heartfire that much, and I am afraid TCC will disapoint me.

[Blushing] [Blushing]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sure it counts. In fact, it is a big part of it for me, actually. You get to know where an author is going more. Except with that evil George Martin, who has no problem with surprises.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, Kwea, now it is weird. I did not read Crystal City either! I think of it as "yet," but in truth, I thought it might be a bit much.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*high fives Elizabeth and Kwea* It doesn't seem like it's even part of the same series...or about the same characters. There's some guy named Alvin Maker that I have been led to believe is someone OTHER than the guy that I read about in the first 14 chapters of TCC. [Dont Know] I was beginning to feel that way in Journeyman and Heartfire, but at least in those two books Alvin was still....Alvin.

You know?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I do that too... with Goodkind and Piers Anthony and Robert Jordan.

I just recently finished the Alvin Maker Series, after putting it down for a bit. I thought it was worth it [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Alvin has become a little too god-like of late. But keep in mind who he was based on. I also felt The Crystal City didn't feature enough of Alvin's friends, like Mike Fink and . . . the other one. You know, the English guy. The lawyer. Devilishly handsome fellow with the charming dry wit. Can't think of his name.

But I still enjoyed it. I can't help it. The whole Alvin Maker series has me entranced. I am in love with the world Alvin inhabits. I'm glad there aren't a lot of books left because series that get long inevitably get bad, and nobody is so good a writer that they're incapable of doing a bad book. But I also wish there were more books so I could immerse myself in that world longer. Hm.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

With Jordan, I just abandoned the world. I could not deceive myself that all was sewn up neatly. With A Wizard's First Rule, even though I knew there was more to come, the story was pretty well wrapped up.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ignoring all of the Earthsea books after the first three.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I did too, Yozhik. I read the trilogy when I was young, and felt it was over and done with.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The 4th Rhapsody book definitely isn't necessary, if you finish the series after book three you'll feel like it's complete.

However *spoilers* I keep reading because I'm a huge Achmed fan, and want to be there when Ashe finally goes off to commune with the elements or whatever and Achmed can have what he wants and be happy. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not physically capable of this.

Only Jordan and Goodkind make me wish I were.

Okay, Alan Dean Foster too.

But mostly Jordan. (Whom, ironically, I like most of the three. That's why it bothers me more to see this series drag on.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The Jordan series has 4 books.
The Alvin series has 3 books.
The Ender series has 2 books.
There are only 3 Star Wars movies.
There is only one Riverworld book.
There are only 3 seasons of Smallville.

Yeah -- I do that all the time.

edit: Not really. I still read the others, then decide which ones are "official" to me.

[ January 06, 2005, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The Goodkind series has 0 books . . .

. . . oh, how I wish . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The Flinx series has as many books as it ever did, but they are all about twelve pages long.

Okay, maybe now I'm getting greedy.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Belle, I want Achmed to get what he wants, too, but he is so patient, I feel I can wait, to, and just imagine it. Plus, there is a fifth and a sixth book!(wait, no, maybe just a fifth)

Icarus, I think when Jordan is finally done, I may go back and read through the rest. (I think I got to six-halfway through the Winter one.) I have mentioned this before, but it also started to get on my nerves how many spankings the grown women got.

With Anne McCaffrey, I wish I had stopped at the original trilogy, and the Menolly trilogy.

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
O_o
Oh, for a second I thought you said 3 Star Wars books. And I was confused as to whether you were representing yourself as a discriminating media consumer.

I enjoyed The Crystal City but I am hopeful that the in between stories will be appended to either book V or VI at some point, because I still haven't read them. I think the development of Calvin is key to what goes on.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is only one Riverworld book.

No, there's only 2 Star Wars movies.
And there is another Riverworld book.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

One Star Wars movie.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, there's only 2 Star Wars movies.
I can respect that
quote:

And there is another Riverworld book.

The second books was good, but it would be horrible to end it there with the story of Twain left half told.

[ January 06, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
How is Goodkind's writing? Is it worth me going to the trouble of finding at the library?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy ended after Season 5.

24 ended after Season 1. No wait -- it ended half-way through Season 2.

I have no idea when the X-files ended and that kind of pisses me off.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek ended with TNG or maybe DS9. And they also stopped at First Contact.
There are three Star Wars movies.
There is only one Matrix movie (the Animatrix may be permissible, though. I haven't seen those).
If there were fewer books in the Song of Ice and Fire series, maybe Martin would be done with them by now and I wouldn't have to wait.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cor
Member # 4295

- posted      Profile for Cor   Email Cor         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I agree totally with you about McCaffrey's Pern books. However, her other science fiction series are much shorter and, in my opinion, much better. With the exception of the Acorna books, I have really enjoyed most of them. Crystal Singer series, Talents series, and the Sassinak books are my favorites.
Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

*laughs* The Acorna series is about the only McCaffrey series I can stand. That and her one young adult trilogy that was really good. I found the Talent series boring and repetitive after the 3rd book and never read more than a couple of Pern books because I didn't believe the world at all.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cor, I loved Sassinak!!! You ar the on;y other person I know who has read them. However, my favorite nonPern McCaffrey series is Dinosaur Planet and Dinosaur Planet Survivors. Did you read those?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy definately went to 7 seasons. Some argue it only started in the third season, however.

Cynthia Voigt's Tillerman books stopped after the first three.

McCaffrey's Tower series only had three books (The Rowan, Damia and Damia's Children).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, is it publishers or authors who drag a series on too long?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with author.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
How is Goodkind's writing? Is it worth me going to the trouble of finding at the library?
blacwolve, have you never read a post I have written? Seriously, I am trying to do you the biggest favor of your reading life: don't waste the time on him. Now, if you ignore my good advice, you only have yourself to blame.

Seriously, he is the most incompetent widely selling author I have ever read.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Icky, I liked the first book, and the second. Now I just read them out of habit.

I just read Crystal City today, adn I liked it better than I liked Heartfire...not that that is saying much. Really, I liked the whole book, the series feels like it is wrapping up.

Liz, I would recommend it, I really would. As a matter for fact I can now loan it to you. Maybe we could do a trade, once you are finished the that new Russell book.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
There is only one Matrix movie
Absolutely.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cor, I loved Sassinak!!! You ar the on;y other person I know who has read them. However, my favorite nonPern McCaffrey series is Dinosaur Planet and Dinosaur Planet Survivors. Did you read those?
I've read (and enjoyed) them. In fact, I think I've read everything McCaffrey has written (except the two newest Pern books, really by her son) except the Crystal Singer books, which I didn't care for at all.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

rivka, you'd best delete that last sentence [about the Crystal Singer Books] before Cor checks the forum again, or you shall be shunned at BobNDanaCon.

Just a word to the wise. [Wink]

Seriously, you don't know what you're saying . . .

[ January 07, 2005, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

rivka
Member # 4859

My mother doesn't understand it either, as she likes them in particular. And it's been many years, so I should try reading them again.

And Cor is far too nice to shun me just because I disagree with her taste in books.

Right? um . . . Right?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Icarus- Some people seem to like the first books in the series. I guess I'm asking whether they're worth reading, the ones people like, I mean.
Icarus
Member # 3162

In general, yes.

But the Crystal Singer books . . .

::shakes head::

I dunno, rivka.

I think reading those books and making appreciative noises was a test I had to pass.

rivka
Member # 4859

But I don't want to marry her!
Icarus
Member # 3162

blacwolve, if my opinion is not clear by now, then there's no point in my repeating myself. [Wink]
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why? She not good enough for you??

o_o

rivka
Member # 4859

1) She's taken, neh?

2) I don't swing that way.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I got your opinion. Notice all the other people posting in this thread? I'm looking for their opinions. Though I think at this point it's sort of a losing proposition.
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why would you want their opinions when you have mine?

[Confused]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that with the Soprano sorceress books. I read the first couple, and just decided I was done.

The same with the Recluse books. I LOVED the first handfull or so, but they just got old after a while.

I am still reading Jordan's books...though I really wish he would finish.

I'm also reading Goodkind's books...though that series is ending soon (two more books and he is done). His latest (Chainfire) was one of his best (I'd put it right under Faith of the Fallen, which was my fav).

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cynthia Voigt's Tillerman books stopped after the first three.
They so did not. By the first three, you mean Homecoming, Dicey's Song and A Solitary Blue, right? In my opinion, Come A Stranger ranks up with those three, and Sons From Afar and The Runner only slightly below. The only one in the series that I were somewhat disappointed with was Seventeen Against the Dealer. Not that it is a bad book, but the conclusion of Jeff and Dicey's love story could have been handled better and the story with Dicey's dad ended on an unsatisfactory note. And also, since Dicey is by far my favourite character, I had high hopes that a book that focused on her would contain, well, something more.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea, a trade sounds great! Visitors are always welcome here, by the way, even though the house is a mess.

I am reading The Shadow Land(not the title, I cannot seem to remember it), and I have forgotten SO much about Book 2. My mom in law has it, or I wold have re-read it first.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Did anyone read the Symphony of the Ages trilogy?

I just finished the first three books, which I thought were a self contained trilogy. Nope. Turns out there is a whole other series. Argh. I don't think I will read them. I think I am done, and this trilogy wrapped up nicely."

Just finished Book 4, loved it, am getting Book 5, and now BOOK 6 IS NOT PUBLISHED.

You see, this is what I was trying to avoid all along, dagnabbit. So, do i get Book 5, read it, and then wait in misery? Or do i wait until Book 6 comes out in paperback(because it is awful to have a collection of five matching books with one big honking book-just the Monk in me), or what?

I hate fantasy writers and their evil ways!

Kwea
Member # 2199

Is that haydon again? Or someone else?

I think it is HAydon, and I have been avoiding her since I finished her other series.

If you enjoyed them, I'd say go for it.

[Big Grin]

Kwea

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, it is Elizabeth Haydon.

Hey, Kwea, wanna do a book switch/lunch? What are your guys' schedules?

"E" me.

[ February 08, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.