FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hurricane Deductibles in Florida

Author Topic: Hurricane Deductibles in Florida
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
State Reimburses Homeowners Who Paid Multiple Hurricane Deductibles
quote:
If you are one of the thousands who paid more than one hurricane deductible, the state of Florida is going to reimburse you. Florida's chief financial officer Tom Gallagher explained how and when resident will get paid, WESH NewsChannel 2 reported.

Your insurance company is supposed to send you a special form before Jan. 27. The form should be submitted by March 1. The most anyone can get is $10,000 per hurricane. Mobile homeowners and condo owners are eligible for the funds.

The sooner send in the form, the sooner you will get your money. Officials said the money should come in about 10 days.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess I'm somewhat biased since I didn't actually have any damage from the hurricanes since we were living in an apartment at the time. If you suffered damage, say to your roof, during Charlie and then a tree fell through your screened patio during Jeane, why shouldn't you have to pay 2 deductibles? It was 2 separate events that caused 2 separate types of damage.

If the damage was to the same area, but was exacerbated by another hurricane, I can agree with not paying multiple deductibles.

I understand not wanting to since we Floridians now pay a hurricane deductible of 2% of the home's value, but you know that when you get the insurance.

[ January 06, 2005, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
The scenario where damage from one hurricane was compounded by another is typical because the damage from the first was typically not fixed by the time the second storm hit, leaving the house more vulnerable. It's close to impossible to actually tell, though, when this is the case.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear that Volusia County is claiming that the big sinkhole in Deltona was caused by the hurricanes so they can get FEMA to pay for the repairs? That one really burned me up. [Mad] The excessive rains from the hurricanes likely caused the sinkhole to open sooner than it might have, but they didn't cause it.

If that happens, the homeowners who lost their houses will have to pay the hurricane deductible rather than their standard deductible.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa.

That sucks. [Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might be a case where the government is hoping to minimize damage to the economy by subsidizing repair costs to private citizens. Those deductibles could be harsh, and I could see where they might cause homeowners to lose their houses.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.