FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comparing Classic old school rock to ModernDay

Author Topic: Comparing Classic old school rock to ModernDay
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'm a fan of both. Two of my favorite classic rock bands would have to be Queen, and Pinkfloyd. Those bands had the greatness of being different and new(in their time). But at the same time i enjoy listening to some of today's rock, such as Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, Taking Back Sunday, Modest Mouse, The Killers, The All American Rejects, GreenDay, Franz Fernihand, Jimmy Eat World, Breaking Benjamin and many more. As i talk to some of my friends about today's rock they think its to main stream, artificial, put together, etc. But those bands work hard too, they write their own music, they go from Underground to being on TRL or other music shows of television. I think that both types of rock are great and enjoyable. Everyone has their own tastes with music. Personally i don't like Country or Rap very much, but that is just me. What is everyone elses thoughts and opinions, please share.

I hope that everyone had a great 12 days of christmas.

[ January 06, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: TheDisgruntledPostman ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't today supposed to be Epiphany? Or was that yesterday? I digress...

What? No Rage Against The Machine? What a band that was. I love their stuff. No Creedance Clearwater Revival? Kings of classic rock, they were. [Smile]

I'm one of those people who doesn't like listening to a song 18 times on the radio, which turns me off to most mainstream rock. I have a habit of buying soundtracks to obscure movies to figure out what I like. I like soundtracks that consist of a bunch of different artists. I like compilation CDs, as well. Some bands I've been meaning to get more of, but havn't had time/money:

* Scapegoat Wax -- "Aisle 10" is an awesome song, good lyrics and a good R&B feel from Jet Set Radio Future.
* E-Z Rollers -- "Walk This Land" was a cool song, as heard in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.
* Evil Superstars -- Also from Lock/stock
* Ocean Colour Scene -- Also also from Lock/stock
* Battlefield Band -- Okay, these guys play traditional scottish music, but it's really good traditional scottish music. [Smile]

There's a bunch more that I want, too.

BTW--does anyone else know of these bands/artists? I'd love to hear other opinions on them or reviews of other work.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
One word: ABBA.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
TDP, I'm impressed at how much you were able to clean up your spelling, syntax, and such. I don't have a lot to contribute to this thread, but I wanted to acknowledge it, and thank you for taking the time to do so. I think you'll find us a lot more receptive to what you have to say now.

[ January 06, 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

- posted      Profile for Glaphyra the Righteous           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Merry Christmas, TDP.

Like Noemon, I wanted to say thanks. I enjoyed reading about your favorites in music.

I never was much into music, but I listen to Leonard Cohen all day long as I work in my office. It's good background music for thinking. I don' expect he would be to your taste, though.

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You left out some very awesome bands DGP!!

- The Offspring, loud fast, fun, with depressing/ironic lyrics, how much bettter can it get?

- LIT, cheerful and fun, kick arse!

- Blue Man Group, ok technically not a band, but their music still rocks!

- Beatles, doesn't get much more classic than that.

- Puddle of Mudd, despite their name a lot of their songs are well... not heavy metal!

- Flogging Molly, mix of classic irish/celtic style and modern rock, tons of fun [Smile]

- Eve 6, two words: Inside Out.

- Fountains of Wayne, their one really famous song, Stacy's Mom, doesn't do them justice. They have a wide variety of styles and songs, and they are very good.

- Incubus, players of Megolomanic, another variety band with many styles shown in their music.

- Jimi Hendrix, when listing classic rock how can you leave out Jimi?

or..

- Led Zeppelin, the originators of the hard rock/alternative genre? (or so I'm told anyway [Taunt] )

- Matchbox 20, ok so they're quieter, but they still have some great songs. Anyone else up for Breakfast at Tiffany's?

- Metallica... 'nuff said.

- Green Day and Linkin Park have already been mentioned, but I'll just second those two... Green Day might almost be considered a classic, they've been around for some time.

- Nirvana, when talking about modern rock bands you cannot forget Smells Like Teen Spirit.

- Oasis, quieter, but still excellent. Wonderwall is an amazing song.

- Reel Big Fish, Well first off all, I'd like to say F* off (f* off) F* off, F* OFF!! If you don't get it why don't you go shove your head back up your a* and don't waste my time, I don't need your opinion... ...Alternately becuase... well no, I don't want your girlfriend to be my girlfriend, I'm quite happy with my girlfriend thank you very much [Smile]

- Not many of you will have heard of Pat McCurdy, becuase he's not really on the radio. He plays in Pubs for college audiences all throughout the upper midwest. His songs are cynical and a tad vulger but great fun. And the fact that many of them are recorded live with the audience participating in the background adds to the fun. And also becuase... well.. Sex and Beer, Sex and Beer, are the two things we hold dear! Sex and Beer, Sex and Beer, are the things we like 'round here!

- Semisonic, becuase its nearing Closing Time.

- Smash Mouth, are you a Believer? What about an Allstar? Somebody once told me, the world is gonna rule me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed..

- Smashing Pumpkins, another that could almost be considered classic.

- Something Corporate, yea they are rather corporate these days, but their music isn't bad.

- The Ataris, a band named after a video game consul... doesn't get much better than that!

- The Wallflowers, a little older, a little calmer, but still excellent.

- The Who, another classic that we mustn't leave out. He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a trick...

- Third Eye Blind, Turn around, back on the (some unrecognisable word), its a good idea break a promise to your mother. Or as I have always sung it: Turn around, rock your metabolism!

- Three Days Grace, heavy and angry, great for those bad days when you wanna just lash out at the world. I... HATE... EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU!

- Three Doors Down, Superman Kryptonite... 'nuff said.

- And finally WEIRD AL YANKOVIC!! Ok, so he's not a band nor is he technically rock, but his parodies and lyrics CANNOT be beat... ok, so they can, but its rare... really!

Oh and WheatPuppet... I most definately second The Battlefield Band. They are excellent, I love their stuff.

And I'm sure I've forgotten a few, but these are what I came up with off the top of my head [Wink]

[ January 06, 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- Flogging Molly, mix of classic irish/celtic style and modern rock,
Indeed, there different style does make them rock out. Irish Pride!
And i know i left out a few, i just put in the bands that i played more on my cd player then others. Most of your other bands rock, but i'm not the biggest Metalica fan, some of their songs are extremely good, but other times i don't see quality

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.