FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Puppies Behind Bars

Author Topic: Puppies Behind Bars
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I just stumbled across this site while I was looking in to training Libbey to be a therapy dog:

http://www.puppiesbehindbars.com/

The little intro video on the main page is pretty good.

What an excellent idea. Inmates get incredible lessons about being responsible and valuing a life, and society gets well-trained working dogs in return. I just love seeing crazy ideas like this take off. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] [Smile]
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, how cute. I feel bad for the inmates who give that dog back after the 16 months of care.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet they get another one if they do a good job!
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that too, dabbler. But I think the fact that they were trusted weighs more than the loss. Contributing to others really builds confidence.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool idea! You put it really well - "Inmates get incredible lessons about being responsible and valuing a life, and society gets well-trained working dogs in return" - Everybody wins. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to buy their Christmas cards next year. Sending Christmas cards to some members of my family is fraught with theological issues if you actually send anything Christmas themed. (Too secular or too much emphasis on Mary in a nativity scene can get you in trouble, don't ask.) In fact I might do the donations too. I know a couple of people would appreciate it, and even if they don't they know I'm a dog fanatic and will tolerate it from me.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Our dog spent time in prison. Not long enough to be trained enough to be a service dog, but he was housebroken and sits and heels and stuff. It's a cool program.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of it before. Thanks for providing the link.

It seems that it helps the inmates considerably in becoming better people. It sounds like it would be good to have this program in a lot more prisons.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Animal Planet has a program called "Cell Dogs", http://animalplanet.discoveryeurope.com/ontv_celldogs/feature1.shtml

I haven't seen it for a while but I really loved it. One time an inmate had several puppies in his cell and had to take care of them 24/7. Feeding, cleaning, and lots of play time with training in mind. Here's the write up from the Animal Planet.

Cell Dogs follows the remarkable and intriguing story of the hundreds of lost, forgotten, abandoned and abused dogs sent to American prisons each year.

The dogs have committed no crime but, like the inmates who look after them, they have reached the end of the line. The Cell Dogs have one last chance, taken in by prisoners at some of the most terrifying institutions in the United States; these animals are being trained for a better life.

Animal Planet meets the forgotten few – human inmates and abandoned animals – that together can help change each other’s lives.

Behind the walls of America’s most frightening prisons, locked up for crimes ranging from assault to murder, the Prison Pet Partnership Programme is the last chance for the inmates to make a positive contribution and the dogs’ final chance for freedom and a good life.

Examining the number of successful rehabilitation schemes that have saved hundreds of pound dogs, Cell Dogs shows how hardened criminals are training these unwanted creatures to be wonderful pets, future guide dogs and, ironically, candidates for the Police Academy.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all fun and games until you wake up one morning and your beagle cleans out your apartment.

This is my favorite thread of the year. Thanks for sharing this with us Zeugma. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.