FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *rings doorbell*

Author Topic: *rings doorbell*
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to say that html is officially cool.

That is all.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sure, when ya understand it. [Dont Know] Which I'm beginning to. Sorta. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty easy to me...

The easiest way I find to get the basics of it are two general foundations.

If you want something bolded, italicised, underlined, start a new paragraph, get a line break, etc. Typically, all you need to do is put the first letter of the word in brackets... then finish it with the slash.

For paragaph... <p> and this is the stuff inside, to end it... </p>

Bold n'stuff also works like that.

The other one is that you can always look at other websites to understand how it works. Just view their sorce, if you understand a bit of something, and you want to see how it works completely, you can see how another website did it and change it to make your own form.

(And I won't go into tables and frames {curse frames})

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The kind of HTML being described here is, to some extent, largely yesterday's technology.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
And yesterday's version of HTML had huge problems if you tried to do anything even moderately complex.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait until you try to get css/html to look the same in Firefox and Internet Explorer. Then we'll see how cool you think it is. [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

A lot of the problem is people trying to do table based designs in CSS, I've found. When I started approaching designs from a semantic perspective, which markup I then styles, I found my going got a lot easier.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

I found a way with my website. It wasn't that hard.

True, I was saying the basics. ^_^

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, html is cool.

Speaking aloud to people in html, however, is not.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
As you're beginning to teach yourself HTML, try learning CSS too. Learning CSS now will help you out a lot in the long run. It gives you much more precise control over what is displayed, and is very nice and flexible.

I'm currently trying to teach myself to use CSS better, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting things to work right. (And I'm going to try to pretend IE doesn't exist so I don't have to deal with it.)

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"And I'm going to try to pretend IE doesn't exist so I don't have to deal with it."

This is like saying "I'm learning to ride a bicycle, but refusing to believe in the ground." [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Now, now, Tom, IE isn't 100% of the browser market . . .

Its like trying to breathe without believing in nitrogen.

fugu13
Member # 2859

More seriously, while any website must consider the (unfortunate given its severe rendering flaws) dominance of IE, the best thing to do when writing a web page generally is to ignore IE, in a sense. While there's the occasional thing one just shouldn't do (use any beyond relatively simple CSS selectors, for instance), the way to get a page to look good across browsers is usually to write the page in a standards compliant manner, and then tweak it so IE doesn't decide everything should be 3 pixels in random directions.
Vadon
Member # 4561

Seriously, I don't have a problem with my website and conversions... the only difference is I believe in IE it's a bit darker. ^_^
fugu13
Member # 2859

Vadon: try maintaining a site with more than a handful of pages which is updated regularly using POH (Plain Old HTML) and you'll soon kill yourself. Its an exercise in self-torture.

The enormous ease of update and alteration that CSS based design leads to is wonderful.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been converted. But the CMS software I use still insists on putting each element in its own table. So far I've managed to work around it, but yikes! Is it painful.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Get better CMS software [Razz] [Wink] .

Right now, my favorite CSS friendly CMSs are Drupal and Wordpress.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Mambo will be pure CMS in the next release, and I like the other features it has enough to put up with it.

It is nice developing dynamic web code and not even caring about formatting. Slap a class or div on it and you're done.

I released an open source search plugin for one of the Mambo galleries, and it's fun seeing it get spread across dozens of web sites. RSS sure makes things look more popular than they are.

Dagonee

[ January 08, 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Well, I don't have more than a handfull of pages. But I do write my HTMLs all through notepad. I used to have problems, but I found a way around them. (For example my tables used to all go up into each other.)

I fixed that by just using one table, since then I've had no trouble.

This is it, all of it is in my own coding, no other programs used. http://vadon.hays.org

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite IE render screwup was when I redid the nav block on the top left here with CSS to show that it could be done and looked exactly the same when I used Arial instead of a $300 Adobe font that they used instead. What happened was because of IE's three pixl error,the entire thing was rendered correctly....except everything below "Beloit College" was moved down a line, and right below on the left corner said "tics." When highlighted, the corresponding letters in "Athletics" were also highlighted, why IE decided to rerender only four letters, I don't know. But adding three pixels to the div element fixed it without changing how it looked like. And don't get me started on the lack of alpha transparencies, I ended up putting a background colour in for IE and using child processes (which IE doesn't understand) to define the real background (a png). I hate that I have to do so much hackery to get things working right, but I'm glad IE's inconsistancies are as such that there's a workaround for every one of IE's stupidities.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.