FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Forum NoNos that you (yes you!) commit...

Author Topic: Forum NoNos that you (yes you!) commit...
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my big forum nonos is to put things in CAPS when I want to emphasize something. I realize that it might seem to others like I'm SCREAMING...when I really should just use italics.

What's one of YOUR favorite forum/email/internet nonos?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
(I corrected it [Blushing] [Wink] )
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I see a poster I like, I stalk her through every thread.

Oh hi Narnia! [Wave]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

deleted because now I get it.

*waves at Beren*

[ January 08, 2005, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Blushing] [Smile]

[Wink]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I've missed something...

*eyes thread suspiciously*

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
None. I always do everything correctly.

[Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
*chortle*
It's true though you should ALWAYS italicise for emphasis.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
A good rule of thumb:

If you want it to be possessive, it's just "I-T-S." But, if it's supposed to be a contraction then it's "I-T-apostrophe-S," scalawag!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

oh, and I did do the NoNos right.

like 1980s instead of 1980's.

Apostrophes are not to be used for my amusement!!

Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Extraneous exclamation points? frag
P.S. Did you mean to capitalize whimsically and use an ellipsis in your thread title? I guess the use of "you" and the parentheses was also deliberate. Hrmmph. I was going to say something different but I can't remember what it was.

[ January 08, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. I sometimes italicize movie titles and sometimes use quotes. It may look like I'm just ignorant, but deep down I'm very judgemental about which movies have the stature of a play or book and which are more like a magazine article. i.e. "Shark Tale" vs. Finding Nemo .
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh yeah, that's another one that I do terribly...elipses...it's like I'm still thinking and haven't finished the thought...

I just need to use punctuation already! (I know) [Blushing]

I did mean to capitalize though.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
It may look like I'm just ignorant, but deep down I'm very judgemental about which movies have the stature of a play or book and which are more like a magazine article. i.e. "Shark Tale" vs. Finding Nemo
HAH! I like that! I might just adopt that as a convention myself!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it's a "no-no" or not, but I never proofread before I post...

And then, 10 minutes later I read it and I see I wrote, "George Bush is the best President we've had in years!"

So then, I have to edit the post so it correctly reads, "gerog3 bush si a no-bra1n ahXOr job, suX0r!!!!!!!!!!~~~"

Edit: See! I originally spelled "correctly," "coreectly" and posted before I proofread... [Razz]

[ January 08, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

I sometimes use smilies as punctuation too. [Dont Know]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, yeah. I sometimes italicize movie titles and sometimes use quotes. It may look like I'm just ignorant, but deep down I'm very judgemental about which movies have the stature of a play or book and which are more like a magazine article. i.e. "Shark Tale" vs. Finding Nemo .
I pretty much use quotation marks to designate the titles of things (books, films, TV shows) because I truly hate having to go down and click on "italics", type in the words to be italicized, and then click to add them to the text of my post. Quotation marks are just so much easier. [Razz]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*idly wonders where that Posting And You flash thingie got off to...*

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to italicise, occasionally I WRITE IN ALL-CAPS.

Bold never made sense to me, nor Underlining, unless quoting something in regular text (so said my English teacher).

Go figure...

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I italicise everything. All the time. Quotes are lame, and underlining is worse.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quotes are lame.
Too bad, I find them very efficiet when analysing philosophy, and footnotes help as well..

JH

P.S. For those who asked, that stuff I'll ALSO/also/also discuss in my book.

[ January 08, 2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I *emphasize* things with *asterics* instead of italics because it's easier to do, and I got into the habit with purely ASCII communicaiton.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I always thought that *asterisks* were meant to show *ironised* *emotion*.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, they are supposed to indicate action.

*frolics*

[ January 08, 2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I say silly stuff about things I should be more educated.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
But... but... but... I LIKE capitalizing for emphasis. It gets the point across!!!! And so do lots and lots and LOTS Of exclamation points!!! NYAH!!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I put my actions in parentheses. (grins)

[ January 08, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
But if I didn't put it in all caps, how would they hear me in Utah?

CONGRATULATIONS Nate and Jamie!
[Party]

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

asterisks are both. It netspeak, they mean actions (typically in infinitive form *grin*). But in the days before everybody had access to typesetting programs, asterisks were used to indicate words that would be *italicized*, and underscores were used to indicate words that would be _underlined_. MS Word can be set to recognize this, for oldtimers who can't break the habit.
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
MS Word can be set to recognize this, for oldtimers who can't break the habit.
I think my copy of Word sets *word* to bold not italic.

Also, for people who want easier access to BB code, the BBCode Firefox Extension is quite a little useful tool. You can highlight text in your entry box and make it bold, italic, underlined, etc. I'm playing around with it now.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Sentence fragments. And short, incomplete sentences. Those are two of my NoNos. (I'm also a terrible sucker for parenthesis, and dashes -- isn't there a more technical term for dashes?). I got my habit for elipses from Narnia . . . *curses Narnia*

I HARDLY EVER USE CAPS OR ITALICS. Or exclamation points!!!

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I've been cursed! I feel so special!

No wait, I'm supposed to say "I win I win I win!!!"

*wink wink nudge nudge*

[ January 08, 2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
aww poor Nos
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/n2o/n2oc.htm

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*wink wink nudge nudge*
is she a goer?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's really rude when someone stays away from the boards for a year or so and then just strolls back in like she owns the place.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! There's nothing wrong with elipses!

And I only use all caps instead of italics because I'm lazy -- it is so much easier to hit the SHIFT key than to type in the code or hit the italics button at the bottom.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*idly wonders where that Posting And You flash thingie got off to...*

--j_k

Posting and You...

That what you're talking about?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
And I only use all caps instead of italics because I'm lazy -- it is so much easier to hit the SHIFT key than to type in the code or hit the italics button at the bottom.
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail]
Likewise!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's really rude when someone stays away from the boards for a year or so and then just strolls back in like she owns the place.
Um . . . But . . . I didn't mean to act like THAT!!!! [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

LADYDAY!!! [The Wave]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.