FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chantico

Author Topic: Chantico
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Think Chocolat. Think France or Italy and paper lanterns and small village chocolate shops. (edit: and Aztecs!) Think dark chocolate and cream. Think Mmmm.

For those of you who are Starbucks-goers, and even for those of you who are not and refuse to pay exorbitant prices for fancy drinks, consider Chantico, Starbucks' new drink (or rather, in this case, beverage or 'liquid').

Despite the fact it has a typically-Starbucksian* name and comes in very small doses (what? no "venti"?) Chantico is...

Well, it's the hot chocolate served in Chocolat; it's thick, it tastes of dark chocolate and cream, it comes in small cups because truly, you could not drink any more Chantico than they give you. It's delicious.

Disclaimer: If you don't like super-thick, heavy, chocolately, creamy drinks this drink is not for you. Otherwise...

No, I am not being paid by Starbucks [Smile] .

* (edit) I now know that Chantico is the name of the Aztec god(dess?) of the hearth, and not silly at all, considering the origins of this chocolate drink. I apologise.

Edit #2: Link to Article

[ January 08, 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A 6-ounce cup has 390 calories, 21 grams of fat and 51 carbs.
Should be named for the Aztez goddess of gluttony.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

[Big Grin]

I should add that this is the sort of thing you should have once a year.

EDIT: Extra question; is this gluttony?

[ January 08, 2005, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Gluttony is eating to excess, I'd say a teeny tiny drink that has more fat and calories than a value meal at McDonalds qualifies as an excess.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

So you'd never get it?
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Unless you're allergic, or it's actually contaminated, no single food item can damage your health. If you normally keep a healthy, balanced diet, you can easily afford to have a Big Mac or a Chantico once in a great while, and it won't hurt you in the slightest. Once a year is not "excess". It's only excess if you have it frequently.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I WANT!!!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd never get it no. I think it's unnecessary. A large hot chocolate would suffice.

Yeah, once a year won't hurt you or kill you in any way, shape, or form, but that isn't the point. It sort of represents one of my major issues with America. We don't need a Chantico anymore than we need Hummers. And I think that yes, when one item is so OVER the top then it can be considered an excess. I think one person eating an entire Bloomin' Onion at Outback is an excess, that's like 10,000 calories or something. Disagree with me if you want, and drink a Chantico if you want, it's your body, I don't care. But I'll never get one (three bucks for SIX ounces of chocolate?! Come on!), too expensive, too over the top, and just for the sake of making a point.

Kama
Member # 3022

I need it.

GIMME!

We don't even have Strarbucks in poland [Frown]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no Starbucks in Poland????? I find that so unbelievable. Strange. Poor Kama.

I am actually not much of a Starbucks person, I prefer individually owned coffee bars.

But six ounces of sin...mmmmm....

About gluttony and excess and etc: While I understand your point, Lyrhawn, I don't think a chocolate drink (yes, even a three dollar chocolate drink) is the end of the world. Lots of things aren't "necessary". Having a pet is not "necessary". Having the internet (in most cases) is not "necessary". Going to the movies is not "necessary". My exorbitant cable bill is not "necessary".

So. What.

I give to charity, I help others, I work hard, and I don't kick my dog.

I deserve a three dollar chocolate drink (provided I am not allergic and can afford it, etc).

And I *want* one!

[Smile]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Lots of things aren't "necessary". Having a pet is not "necessary". Having the internet (in most cases) is not "necessary". Going to the movies is not "necessary". My exorbitant cable bill is not "necessary".

I didn't mean to speak out against things that aren't absoultely necessary in life. I meant to refer to things that are excessively unnecessary. I have a dog (the coolest cocker spaniel on earth!), LOVE going to the movies ( saw Flight of the Phoenix yesterday and thought it was decent), I'm using the internet right now, and I don't even want to THINK about the family cable bill. No, those things aren't necessary, and I still like them.

Maybe I'm just not presenting my argument the best way I could be. What I mean is I don't like things that are over the top, way above what people could settle for. I drive a Ford Focus, in theory I don't NEED a car at all, I could walk seven miles to work, or twenty miles to school or try and catch a ride with a friend. But having a car is easier so I bought one. But I got a reasonable car. I didn't get a Hummer or an Excursion, which is so big it won't even fit in most parking spaces or drive ways. I dislike these things, and I dislike the way they paint American culture and posion the minds of otherwise sensible people.

But like I also said, you can still do what you want, and I won't hold it against you. It's just my personal opinion, and the way I like to live my life [Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a drink for me!! [Smile] It's all chocolate without any coffee in it? That seems amazing that Starbucks would do so much PR on a new drink without coffee in it.

But if there's no coffee, I can justify my gluttony. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Narnia, this is barely even a drink. It's like dark chocolate melted and mixed with thick milk or light cream.

No coffee.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm. Perfect. [Evil]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good to me, as a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing. I want one. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
In the whole "Americans and excess" vein, the other day I broke a bowl, and finally broke down and went to buy a new set of dishes. My god, the plates that are available these days are *huge*! The little side plates in the set I ended up buying are only a little smaller than the main plates from my old set, and the new set's big plates are so freaking huge that I had to rearrange my cabinet to get them to fit. A normal sized portion looks ridiculously small on these plates. It's fairly disgusting how our culture nudges us in the direction of excess. I thought about taking the plates back, but I really like the design, and they were no bigger than anything else that was on the shelf.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

I think I'm just going to melt some chocolate one day and drink it. You think that might work?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"A normal sized portion looks ridiculously small on these plates."

This is actually a pet peeve of mine. I made us some sensibly-portioned steak and squash last night, and was rather disappointed to discover that our regular dinner plates dwarfed the meal. I was tempted to haul out the salad plates instead.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o That sucks. But I understand. Grahh.. Damns the dinner plates.

Anyway, that drink sounds like chocolate fondue! o_O I'd like to try it, someday off in the far distance.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
I think I'm just going to melt some chocolate one day and drink it. You think that might work?
You mean, like, melt a chocolate bar in a cup and just drink it? Well, to most people, I'd say that I doubt it would work very well. But you live in Europe, so you can easily get hold of some pretty good chocolate bars. So . . . maybe. Give it a try and tell us how it goes. [Big Grin]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama, you might need to thin it out with a little cream or half-and-half, sort of like a liquid ganache.

Yeah, plates have really gotten outrageous in size. Dave and I sometimes just share a plate when it's one of the big ones.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does Poland have lindts or some other chocolate truffle equal in goodness? You can melt down chocolate truffles and add light or heavy cream until it gets to about the consistency of a nice, thick hot chocolate. Mmmmmmm...
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

We have Lindt.
K.A.M.A.
Member # 6045

- posted      Profile for K.A.M.A.           Edit/Delete Post 
I did it. I took dark chocolate and cream. It was YUMMY. A bit too bitter, despite the cream, so next time I'll add some milk chocolate too.

[Cool]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.