FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am wise to the ways of the moth

Author Topic: I am wise to the ways of the moth
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
They are not "attracted to light", despite popular belief. They use the moon as a navigational aid, keeping it as a point of reference as they fly in a straight line. The moon is far enough away that it stays stationary relative to the moth. But bright artificial lights throw off their navigational systems. The light is enough to overpower the moon, and as the moth tries to keep it at a constant angle to itself, it ends up flying around and around the light instead of going in a straight line, as it does by the more distant moon.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Thanks man.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow there are a lot of Dobies today.

I wish we could post images...

Dobie Thread Thread

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
In my defense, this is the first dobie I've ever started. Considering I've been here half a year already, I think that shows restraint. If you only knew all the dobies I've thought of and then opted not to post. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, this one is educational.

Silly moths.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.