Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » help

Author Topic: help
Pythian
Member # 7080

- posted      Profile for Pythian   Email Pythian         Edit/Delete Post 
are there any other free ISP's out there, i know of juno and netzero, but with them combined its only 20 hours a month.(and yeah, i know im cheap [Frown] .)
Posts: 53 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you live?
I am on www.nocharge.com . I think it is only available in the Pacific Northwest and New England, and the hours are unlimited. (slow as molasses, but, I can deal with that [Smile] )

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pythian
Member # 7080

i live in california
Posts: 53 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If your laptop has a wireless card, you can try:

http://www.wififreespot.com/

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

There's always AOL free trials. I know people think AOL is evil, but I've used their free internet offers plenty of times without paying a dime.

Now you can sign up without a credit card. [Smile]

[ January 09, 2005, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I've never tried it on my home PC before. But my laptop is always picking up my neighbor's unsecured wireless internet connections though.
Pythian
Member # 7080

i live in santa rosa, california, the wifi revolution hasnt quite yet hit us, and ive use a wifi card on my pc and yet, no one around my had an unsecure connection, THEY ALL HAVE DIAL UP [Frown]
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest the AOL route, after signing up for a month to get myself a free Visa $50 gift card about 6 months ago, every time I try to call they tell me they'll extend my service for another 3 months...I JUST WANT TO CANCEL!!!! I've gone so far as to tell them that I'm moving out of the country, never to return and they still won't cancel me.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Here's a little known fact I just found out last month. If you purchase Yahoo/SBC DSL, you get not one, but TWO internet services. Aside from the regular DSL, you also get a really crappy free dial up service.

At first I thought the DSL and the dial up cannot be used at the same time. But I was wrong! If you have a really good friend living in your area, maybe you can ask him/her if you could use his secondary dial up account. Your friend would have to give you his login name and password, so you probably have to ask really nicely. [Wink]

The secondary dial up service is very crappy. It often connects at a low 28k and you get disconnected a lot. So it is really not very useful except as a very basic way to check web mail.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was the poster who went through the very same thing (as Bernard) a few months ago?

I don't recommend the AOL route. Those little diskies put carp on your computer that messes with it if you later get a broadband connection.

Thanks for the free wifi link, though. That is way cool. I love that the nearest city to me has made all of downtown a free wifi zone.

[ January 09, 2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Here in SLC downtown an internet colocation center and ISP named XMission allows people in the neighborhood, and local SLC to use thier wireless for free. By allow I mean someone got on, and connected to thier irc and directly asked them about it, to which they replied, you can hop on? awesome, have at it!

There are a couple companies that have dialup for around 50-70 a year.
Networld was one we used a long time ago.
http://www.networld.com/specials.html
It looks like they are 99 a year, and i'm not sure what the UPEA deal is, maybe a student thing?

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.