FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » selective service

Author Topic: selective service
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you heard anything about the draft being reinstated?

My housemate's mom called this morning and told him to go home (to Germany) because of the draft. We're in California, and we just started a new quarter in school. According to her, the selective service is starting with people born in 1985, and my housemate is one of those people..

I checked the forum, my local newspaper, cnn, and the Guardian online. I got nothing. This sounds pretty serious and I can't find any information.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There have been all kinds of rumors.

Here are the facts: The draft requires an act of Congress. The new Congress was just reseated this week. If there were a draft, you'd know.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very frequent urban legend lately sent through email. Look on snopes.com (search using "the draft" or something).

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, National Guard recruitment is waaaaay down (as one might imagine), as is application to the U.S. Military Academy; but I am skeptical regarding the draft.

(I am a military spouse)

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The President of the United States swore to the country that "No Draft would be enacted" less than 3 months ago.

Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, and every politician in power has sworn there will be no draft.

So yeah, you can expect one soon.

JUST KIDDING. The rumors of a draft are mostly started by liberal fearmongers trying to make people more immiediately concerned about the war in Iraq.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the idea of how this gets started.

Liberal politician who truly cares about the common person notices that proportionally more lower class, minorities, and immigrants join the military than the children of wealth and power.

These are the people dieing for a war pushed by people of wealth and power.

So if we go to a draft, one that was truly fair and impartial, then enough rich kids would be dieing that the war would be quickly cancelled.

That thinking has little to do with the realities of the military, the needs of our soldiers, or the desires of anyone other than this liberal "fairness" freak.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On October 5, 2004, the House of Representatives voted 402 - 2 to defeat H.R. 163, the bill cited as proof that the Selective Service was preparing to reinstate a military draft. The vote made official what has been a reality since January 7, 2003, when H.R. 163 was introduced despite nearly total opposition in Congress to restoring the draft. Without Congressional support, the draft cannot be reinstated. A similar bill languishes in the Senate.

Both President George W. Bush and Senator John F. Kerry have stated for the record that they oppose a draft. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld also has opposed the draft on numerous occasions.

Since 1980, the Selective Service System has discharged its mission of preparing to manage a draft if and when Congress and the President so direct. The House action proves that the Selective Service has gotten no such direction. That being the case, the Agency will maintain its readiness as required by law, and to register young men between the ages of 18 and 25. That mission has been reaffirmed frequently by successive Administrations and by Congress under the leadership of both parties.

http://www.sss.gov/

I think your friend is safe. For now.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. In the last Congress a bill reinstating the draft was brought to the floor by a bunch of Democrats in the hopes they could pin it on the Republicans. That's where part of the rumor comes from. (at least that's what I heard, on NPR, no less [Smile] )

Also, if you're friends is a German citizen, could he be drafted? I don't think he could. [Dont Know]

It doesn't look like it's going to happen. On the other hand, I have no personal stake in it. If it does happen, there's nothing I can do to stop it. I won't abandon my country by going to Canada (or something like that) just because they demand that I fight. *shrug*

[ January 09, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: WheatPuppet ]

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I don't see a draft happening anytime soon. If they do, and it starts in 1985, I wouldn't mind even more, cause I just missed the cut (84 baby yeah!)

But either way, if I were drafted I'd file concioncious (spelling) objector status. It's one thing to report for duty for your country when you are being attacked, or when an ally like France or England are under attack, it's quite another to go fight for a war I not only believe is useless, but is also harmful. But I wouldn't run to Canada either.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the reassurances. Do you have any idea how my housemate's (let's call him John) mother would have heard this rumor then? I've only met her once so I don't know her very well, but it seems over-the-top to call her son home. Also, I think John has dual citizenship in Germany and the US.

I am also not a 1985 baby so if that part ends up to be true I'm not too worried. Part of what John's mom said is that women would be drafted too. I am not opposed to that idea, but I don't know what I would do were I drafted.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
She could have read it anywhere, especially if she lives in Germany there are probably different rumors running rampant over there too. And dual German/US citizenship I think still assures he is safe, and at any rate he could leave for Germany if he was drafted.

As far as women in the Selective Service go, I say draft them, it's only fair.

Kind of a moot point either way, I don't see a draft happening anytime soon.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not certain, but I do believe Germany still has an active draft military.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Germany does require either civil service or military service.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.