FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Dark Room (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Dark Room
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the blue room, but I can't solve it!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The blue room was my favorite room, too.

SPOILER: It's a moving maze, in which you can only see the step behind and the step ahead of you at any given time.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to think you needed some aspects of speed and coordination for the blue room. I kept getting frustrated because of it. Porter showed me otherwise....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I'm not sure if I have the patience to deal with the white room. 7 variables, six sets of three, nothing divides nicely. I just haven't a clue where to go from here.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are actually strategies for the green and yellow rooms, too.
Yes, but I never heard electrons were coloured, as in White...

[ January 10, 2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
JH, I'm too lazy to log into my webmail. I posted the clue to the white room here:

White Room

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Wiggin. I always liked the Staring Game.

This time, I won't laugh, promise. [ROFL]

EDIT: No help, can't do it...

[ January 10, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ahhhh, that clue was given earlier, but I didn't see it for the clue that it was....
Teshi
Member # 5024

TD, I know how to do it, I just can't!

I'm in the green room now, and that's... gah!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: to note POSSIBLE SPOILERS

quote:
There are actually strategies for the green and yellow rooms, too.
Well the green room had one and I'm sure the yellow room did as well, but at least for the yellow one, it came down to just hitting buttons until it was solved. I didn't really find a pattern to it. The green one was pretty much the same way, until right before I hit the last piece did I notice specific pieces glowing brighter on each wall. Doh! Must be because of my monitor settings.

[ January 10, 2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: signal ]

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Best. Staring. Game. Ever.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I didn'tnotice a strategy for the green room. Did I just get really lucky and had the pieces fall into place by accident? [Confused]

I couldn't figure out a strategy for the yellow room either. (See a pattern, I'm a freaking moron!).

*slight yellow spoiler*

Yellow just looked like a game with two sets of rules. The first set is like minesweeper, the second, the electoral college.

signal
Member # 6828

electoral college? Could you explain that reference?

btw, that staring game is really twisted. Talk about doing anything to win.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm done. And I only needed help with the white room. Oh, well.

I don't know what to think of a staring game on a computer... so I'm off to find more mindless activities instead of working [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I think the majority of the people here don't want me to explain that reference signal.
beverly
Member # 6246

Done!

I did need the hint on the white room. I think it would've taken me forever to stumble across it myself.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm going to cry!

I've got everything but the green room done. I can get 5 walls lit up - all four walls and the ceiling, but every button on the floor turns at least one of them off.

Oh, I hate you, green room!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, here's a way to look at the green room: pushing a button makes that shape appear in exactly the same spot on every wall. If a shape ever overlaps an existing spot on ANY wall, the existing shape will go dark.

As the goal is to make the room completely green, this overlap is bad.

In order to achieve this goal, you will need to push one button on each wall.

Without revealing the easiest way to solve this, I will point out that, before you push any button, you can look at its shape and look at its relative positions on the walls to decide whether it would overlap any of the existing shapes.

If you have trouble placing the floor, try starting with the floor.

[ January 10, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the green and yellow rooms were easy!

*hint on green room*
Look to the arrow thing you click, all other ones in that location also highlight. So you want to complete a box using arrows that fill it in from all over the room.

*hint on yellow*
If you have one square but have yellow surrounding it, double click it.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

DONE!
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just did it again.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm such a loser. I don't get it at all. Not even the first part. Actually, I just figured out it was the *inside* of a room instead of a weird looking cube.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Jeni, it might help to turn the brightness up [Smile] .
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
That did it, Teshi, thank you!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah... that was my problem, too.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Got through all except green and white now...

*possible spoiler:
Hmm. I understand white though, so I can use the process of elimination with that one, can't I? There's only 3 possible choices.

[edit] yep, got White. Green is evil. Arg. [Wall Bash]

--j_k

[ January 10, 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

You know what solved green for me? Drawing out a configuration on paper. It was super-easy after that.

[Smile]

beverly
Member # 6246

I actually drew a lot of these out on paper. I am decent at envisioning complex objects, but I am not that good!
Teshi
Member # 5024

(beverly, same here)
vwiggin
Member # 926

When I solved the puzzle I thought to myself, "I knew playing Doom and Duke Nuke'em would help me out in real life!"
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Done!

And I have the best score! By a point... [Big Grin] Might have something to do with the fact that I had to restart it several times 'cause I let other people try it on my computer too... [Wink]

*SPOILERS*
I was kind of clueless about the white, until I understood that the white itself was clueless and that I had to look somewhere else for clues. I wonder, were the *planets* in the other rooms from the beginning, or did they appear only when I finished all of those rooms?! And yeah, I needed pen and paper for orange and violet, green was ok even without although there was a trial and error phase and yellow resembled very much another puzzle I made sometime ago, but in a plane not in space. Once I figured out that when you click on an unlit square with only lit squares around it it doesn't light up it was easy.

Waiting for Dark Room 2! [Big Grin]

Edit: Not first anymore... Oh well, I had my 20 minutes or something of glory! [Smile]

[ January 11, 2005, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished! I had nightmares last night about the green room. Oh, I am so relieved.

This is why I don't typically play computer games.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

(psst, Corwin, I don't think its by score. Its just the numeric order of when you finished. [Wink] )
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no points Corwin, that's the number you finished in. you were the 5487th person to complete the puzzle.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
signal, oh, that was just my big ego speaking! [Smile] I see now that keeping a score while the people playing would have no idea what the score's about would be kind of useless. Unless you do something like least number of clicks / moves. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got it!

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another from the same place.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.