FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DNA question

Author Topic: DNA question
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
How does A-DNA differ structurally from B-DNA, and what is its purpose in the cell, if any?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue.

Congratulations to me on yet another completely pointless and un-informative post.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA#Mechanical_properties_relevant_to_biology

It appears that there are three forms, A, B and Z. With B being normal, A appearing in dehydrated DNA or pairing of DNA and RNA, and Z appearing in methylated DNA which is identical to B but for the direction of the twist.

BTL or some else can likely give a better answer...

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Compare A and B (image). (more here)

Detailed comparison of the three structures.

And from here:
quote:
A-DNA family - this is most common for double stranded RNA, RNA/DNA hybrids, as well as for certain DNA sequences, such as long stretches of purines.

B-DNA family - DNA exists in the "B-DNA form", most of the time inside the cells of living organisms. This is the classical "Watson-Crick" structure.

Z-DNA family - this is much more rare than the other two families, although certain sequences (such as runs of GC repeats (GCGCGC)) can form Z-DNA easily.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Well, that mostly confirms what I thought I knew, although supposedly A-DNA also occurs near sites of transcription. I'm off to give my presentation now...wish me luck!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

How did it go?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Quite well, thanks! The professor I work for, the grad student who works most closely with me, and some of the other grad students in the lab showed up to watch me speak. The grad student even asked a question he darn well knew the answer to [Grumble] . But afterward, he told me I had given the best explanation of X-ray crystallography that he had ever seen from an undergrad/high school student (I started working in this lab as a junior in high school). The professor was also pleased with my presentation. If anyone wants to see the power point I used, I'll be happy to e-mail it to them.
rivka
Member # 4859

Excellent! [Big Grin]
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send it to me [Smile] I think my address is in my profile.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Oregon State has this really cool program where undergraduate students can get grants to do research. It's funded by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (yeah, the guy who made the Spruce Goose). Anyhow, the paper on the project I've been working on should come out in a few months--it's being reviewed now. If it's in a journal that publishes on the web, I'll try to have a link for all of you. I'm so excited about it!
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow! That is so great! [Big Grin]

And to think, we can say we knew you when! [Wink]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Dad was just talking tonight about how someday at my high school they're going to point out the yearbook I worked on and say, "That yearbook was edited by Dr. Shigosei, who developed the first permanent artificial heart." He then speculated on what local places would be named after me. O_O

Trust me, when you say you knew me when, no one will know what you're talking about [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.