FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Preacher Dies During Sermon About Heaven

Author Topic: Preacher Dies During Sermon About Heaven
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
linky

quote:
OVIEDO, Fla. - A Presbyterian minister collapsed and died in mid-sentence of a sermon after saying "And when I go to heaven ...," his colleague said Monday.

The Rev. Jack Arnold, 69, was nearing the end of his sermon Sunday at Covenant Presbyterian Church in this Orlando suburb when he grabbed the podium before falling to the floor, said the Rev. Michael S. Beates, associate pastor at Covenant Presbyterian.

Before collapsing, Arnold quoted the 18th century Bible scholar, John Wesley, who said, "Until my work on this earth is done, I am immortal. But when my work for Christ is done ... I go to be with Jesus," Beates said in a telephone interview.

Several members of the congregation with medical backgrounds tried to revive the minister and paramedics were called, but Arnold appeared to die instantly, Beates said.

Arnold had been the senior minister at the church until the late 1990s when he began traveling to Africa and the Middle East to teach pastors. The cause of death was believed to be cardiac arrest. He had bypass surgery five years earlier.

Beates also recounted Arnold's death in an e-mail he sent to members of the Central Florida Presbytery.

"We were stunned," Beates said. "It was traumatic, but how wonderful it was he died in his own church among the people he loved the most."

I don't know this guy, but I admire his flair for theatrics.

edit: The floor is now open for jokes and bad puns.

[ January 11, 2005, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Brian J. Hill ]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

I won't post my downer thought.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
As terry Pratchett write, sometime, the Death has the comic sens.

I imagine him back to the pastor, and stay about the good time to achieve his work...

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. That may be the first time I’ve ever seen John Wesley referred to only as a Bible scholar. Not that he didn’t study the Bible, but that’s hardly what he’s most known for.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...I think that's all I can really say about this right now.

Wow.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
JW did do a few other things in his lifetime, didn't he?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmm. That may be the first time I’ve ever seen John Wesley referred to only as a Bible scholar. Not that he didn’t study the Bible, but that’s hardly what he’s most known for.
Yeah, I kinda thought the same. It's kinda like calling Isaac Newton a "guy who did math and stuff."
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats how I wanna go. Maybe not there exactly, but contemplating those things and helping others. That is pretty cool, actually.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Notice the article said John Wesely "Bible Scholar" we know that the preacher was quoting him but we don't know how he described Wesley before the quote (or it is possible he planned to afterwards)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... Is it bad that that amuses me? I mean, it's a great way to go.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I totally assumed it was the reporter's description, not the associate pastor's.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding me? Dying in the midst of my church, with my friends and fellow worshippers around me, having my last words and actions be ones that glorify God? What a privilege to die like that!

The only reason I wouldn't wish for that to happen to me, is I imagine it was quite a shock and quite upsetting for the people present. Then again, is there any way to die that isn't upsetting to the people that love you, in some way?

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that. Even if subsequent comments have got me thinking about death.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.