FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is the Hatrack Free Clinic open? (Dr. advice please)

Author Topic: Is the Hatrack Free Clinic open? (Dr. advice please)
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Doc, today I began experiencing some discomfort in the base of the 3rd metacarpal bone on the palm side. I can feel a hard knot that is tender to the touch. I can't remember injuring it and I'm curious if I should wait it out or if there might be a reason to visit the non-free clinic here. I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Umm, no it's right at the base of my finger or above the pads at the top of my palm, if that makes any sense.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

- posted      Profile for Glaphyra the Righteous           Edit/Delete Post 
*going home, will re-check in soon
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Glaphyra the Righteous? A punwit screen name?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's Sara
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

Sorry for misleading you, yes it is the phalanges. The third proximal phalanx to be exact. No rash, abnormal redness, heat or pustules. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on this hand (right) a little less than a year ago. The primary reason for the surgery was because I was experiencing constant numbness/hypersensitivity in the thumb, forefinger and ball of the thumb, which hasn't subsided by the way. I have experienced some tingling within the last couple of weeks as well as some pain and weakness of grip although that is n't obvious right now. I wasn't overly concerned about the tingling and weakness accompanied by pain because this hand has been sucky for over a year now.

Edit to correctly identify the offending digit.

[ January 11, 2005, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I know Glaphyra is gonna check this thread again soon... Mooselet's eyes have begun producing more boogers than his nose. I doubt it's dangerous or doctor-trip-worthy, but aside from cleaning his eyes, is there anything we should do? Is there any chance this is a reaction to Robitussin? He's been coughing a lot lately at night, so he's gotten that a couple times.

Punwit, sorry I have no advice for you, but I'd likely be trumped by Doctor Righteous anyway.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I had similar symptoms with my eye a while back. It was a minor infection that cleared up with eyedrops after a few days.

Edit: I got the eye drops from a doctor. I don't know if you could get them otc.

[ January 11, 2005, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

Sorry it took awhile to get back. [Smile]

punwit, you have some reasons to be reassured. The scariest stuff (and by this I mean cancer) is notorious for being painless. Additionally, it tends not to come on fast, and there are usually systemic signs like unexplained weight loss, night sweats, etc.

I only mention the big C because people often seem to fear it. I don't want to put ideas in your head, though. [Smile]

Usually a sudden swelling is secondary to water accumulation of some sort, whether it is acute edema or a cyst of some kind. (Mind you, it's possible that it was there for a good bit before you noticed it.) This bump is in area where you might get a ganglion cyst, which is a sort of collection of juicy connective tissue along a tendon, usually right over a joint. Here is another article. The most layperson-accessible article from eMedicine is here, and that might be the best place to start reading.

Unless there was some sort of trauma that you don't remember, I think a ganglion cyst is the likeliest scenerio. They are perfectly benign unless they get large enough to block range of motion. No association with cancer whatsoever. Still, it might be worth making an appointment with your regular physician so that you can follow up on the persisting carpal tunnel symptoms. The fact that you are having some weakness and tingling could be attributed to post-op carpal tunnel stuff, but it does make me a little bit more worried about what is going on, given that the situation is more complicated than usual.

Anyway, if things change acutely, or if you have further concerns, or if you have a fever or chills, or if it gets red and hot or streaky, then I'd be most comfortable if you'd get it checked out ASAP.

Keep us updated! I really want to see how this turns out.

[ January 11, 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Glaphyra the Righteous ]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

Papa Moose, I haven't heard of any similar reactions to Robitussin. If he hasn't had any history of blocked tear ducts, and especially if the eye boogers are in both eyes (making it less likely to just be a sudden blocked duct, which would probably not occur bilaterally as a simultaneous thing), then I'd be suspicious of a baterial infection, possibly superimposed on top of a viral infection.

In the clinic I trained at, we'd advise warm compresses to loosen the boogers, and we most often prescribed some antibiotic eye drops or eye ointment. It might be a good idea to call his physician's office in the morning and let them know what is going on.

Be sure to keep us updated! [Smile]

[ January 11, 2005, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Glaphyra the Righteous ]

punwit
Member # 6388

I actually did consider a ganglion cyst because I have one that flares up on my left wrist when I am doing work that strains that joint. I just didn't know if ganglion cysts could present in the location that I was having problems with. I appreciate the info and am reassured because I was (perhaps concerned is too strong a word) wondering? if it could be something more serious. Thanks much.
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

No problem! Of course, it is even more difficult since you are not in front of me to examine, but most all I hear leads me toward reassurance more than worry.

I appreciate your reply. I tend to stay up at night worrying about these things. *rueful look

I think you and I both have reason to rest pretty easy tonight. [Wave]

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, punwit, I actually have a ganglion cyst on my third finger! It's between the first and second phalanges. I diagnosed it myself and it's been there about 12 years. It is very possible to have one there and I've diagnosed ganglion cysts on several other people's hands and fingers. Mine used to get inflamed and swollen if I forgot and carried grocery bags across my fingers or something but it's been fairly quiet in recent years. I don't think I have anything else to add to what CT said.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Mooselet's eyes are crudding up much more, so we're assuming he picked up conjunctivitis (right?) from some kid at Sunday School, and we're going to see the doc today. Maybe she can tell us something about the cough, too.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glaphyra the Righteous
Member # 6995

Yay. [Smile] Hope he gets better soon.

Hi, Theca. [Smile]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Conjunctivitis. Got eye drops. Definitely not a case for House. Way too obvious.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

I've given them now, and it went just fine. Now whether or not it works, we'll just have to see....
punwit
Member # 6388

Sara, since you are available I'd like to ask another question. I mentioned that I'd had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and that I'm still dealing with numbness and hypersensitivity in my thumb, forefinger and ball of the hand and I'm curious about nerve regeneration. I was told that it might take awhile for the nerves to heal. I'm going on 11 months and have seen no significant improvement. Is there a reliable timetable for something like this or is it a crapshoot and there is a possibility that this will be a lifelong condition?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nerve damage Nerves running in the region can be bruised or damaged during the surgery and form a painful spot in the scar (neuroma) or numbness. The most commonly involved areas are the heel of the hand or the space between the middle and ring fingers. This complication is rare (2%) but may require a further operation to correct.

Recurrence If you continue to have attacks of tingling and numbness, it might mean that not all the ligament has been cut. This is rare (1%) but the operation would need to be repeated to correct this.

http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/ctr.htm

quote:
The longer the nerve is irritated, the longer numbness or tingling are constant, the harder it is to have a full recovery - even with surgery. If the problem is severe, however, surgery is a reasonable step to prevent further nerve damage even if full recovery can not be guaranteed.
http://www.e-hand.com/hw/hw006.htm

quote:
Surgery reduces the pressure on the nerve, but the damaged nerve must heal for the symptoms to improve. This can take months and in severe cases the nerve may be incapable of fully healing.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000433.htm
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a ganglion cyst that I've had for years and it won't go away. [Frown]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly on topic:

Sara, I'm working on some torture for a character, and I've settled on cutting the flexor tendons in his hand. Where would it be easiest for the torturer to cut them without cutting any arteries or anything? What would my character's hand look like afterward? Would it be all gnarled and twisted, or just hang limply?

yeah. there's a lot of torture in my book.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::pitiful shameless bump::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.