FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Politics-POST HERE-

Author Topic: Politics-POST HERE-
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

- posted      Profile for -=Locke=-   Email -=Locke=-         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that i don't enjoy taking place in other types of posts in this site. I just find politics to be my favorite. I don't really get to talk my ideas to friends because they all see the same as i do, so i want different views. So insted of making un-organized posts through out the the site, i thought it would be more organized if we made one post about anything politics. Don't just think we have to talk about War, or the President, because that isn't just it. There's economy, health care, foreign aid with tsunami, what we will do over in California now because of flooding, stuff like that. I think at this site all i see with politics that only involves the Pres. it is getting old and borring. Let's see what everyone has to think.
-Locke

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Politics give me heartburn.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* I think just one thread for all of the political discussion would get a bit crowded. Why don't you start a thread about something specific you want to discuss?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Locke, perhaps you should stick around a bit longer and observe the forum a little.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

quote:
Why don't you start a thread about something specific you want to discuss?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it's easier hearing what everyone has to say. Someone will bring something up, we'll get on topic with that, after a while say something else and do the same thing over.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Having multiple threads allows for multiple discussions. One thread on multiple subjects is just...not very efficient.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The Roman Empire was neither Roman nor an Empire: Discuss!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Political Science is neither political nor a science.

Discuss!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
/me will forever confuse you with :Locke.

Welcome to the forum. Leave your sanity at the door.

[Wave] --j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Politics bores me. [Sleep]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not a science because as a field of study, it is not subjected to scientific methodology.

However, I would say that it is political. Not because that is what it studies, but because those involved in the study of it are constantly acting on political motivations. I also state that this is true of any area of academia. Even biology. There was quite a rivalry between the pre-meds and the pre-scientists.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

Haha, well i guess ill give this post a little push. How does everyone think were going to do with California's flooding and Nevada's Blizzards when all of that turns to water, and California is a giant caynon what type of country support will we give? Will this be to close to the SoutEast Asia Tsunami and money for the homeless and others wont be raised fast enough? Will other countries help us? Even though no one really died compard to the Tsunami, lots of homes were destroyed. I know other countries wont help, we already have enough money, and i think it should be declared a National Catastrophie so support could come in.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We can't afford half of what people think we can. America is hemorrhaging money with no end in sight.

Edit: I spelled sight as site....that's just sad.

[ January 11, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we will be ok here in California. But thanks for thinking of us though. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly newbies. They are so cuuuute. Confining politics all to one thread. *pat*pat* That's sweet.
Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

And that's condescending.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Alot of things can happen with things over there. Money will be raised of course, but where will the money go to?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Don't underestimate the financial situation America is digging itself into. It's not like we're going to bankrupt ourselves tomorrow, but sinking into a multi trillion dollar deficit is nothing to shake a stick at, and it certainly isn't a trend we can continue.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Anold(i spelt it wrong purposley) going to do? Hopefully he'll pull it all together.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
If all that water can be re-directed to places that need irrigation, that would be convenient. I do expect that aid will be given by the federal government (I'd be surprised if FEMA funds are not already in place). I don't expect help from other countries because we are capable of handling this problem on our own. Nor do I feel that nother countries owe us aid.

As for going into debt, it is concerning, but so far as I know, the national debt is currently a smaller percentage of our GDP than it has been in the past. We dug ourselves out of a huge hole following World War II. We can do it again, especially now that the economy seems to be doing better. On the other hand, we cannot have an expensive war and have tax cuts, no matter how much we need either one. It's pick and choose and since we're already in the midst of the war, I guess we ought to raise taxes. Not something I want to see, but it does seem necessary.

Lyrhawn: That nation/political entity that you refer to, while it did contract and expand, remained essentially centered around one point, namely the city Rome, so it stayed in one place. It also never officiated in a baseball game. Therfore, it can't possibly be called a Roamin' Umpire.

[ January 12, 2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Mr. Postman, I would like a clarification. Did you incorrectly spell the rest of the misspelt words in that sentence purposely as well?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the matter? Ornery.org too tough for you?
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
As for going into debt, it is concerning, but so far as I know, the national debt is currently a smaller percentage of our GDP than it has been in the past. We dug ourselves out of a huge hole following World War II. We can do it again, especially now that the economy seems to be doing better. On the other hand, we cannot have an expensive war and have tax cuts, no matter how much we need either one. It's pick and choose and since we're already in the midst of the war, I guess we ought to raise taxes. Not something I want to see, but it does seem necessary
It is expected that as a percentage of the GDP, it will reach a 50 year high by 2006. It's already skyrocketing, and yes it was high during and after WW2, but the difference between then and now is that during WW2, taxes were raised to pay for the war effort. Today we lower taxes to pay for the war effort, hooray. It doesn't really matter how well the economy is doing if we don't tax it. If we keep spending at this rate, and especially if we do all of Bush's plans, the debt, as a percentage of the GDP will blast above that of WW2, which was already riding high above 90%.

And that seriously doesn't scare anyone?

Shigosei
Member # 3831

Yes, it bothers me. But Bush will be out of office beginning in 2009, and I expect either a more fiscally responsible Republican who will make an attempt at balancing the budget, or a Democrat, who will probably raise taxes. And there is no immediate need to panic, in my completely non-economist opinion. The states can also raise taxes individually to take up slack once the federal government goes through the inevitable cuts in services.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Its also worth pointing out that WW2 was a global war which impacted strongly much of the world, and we were the only large power that got off (relatively) lightly. As such, we had all sorts of opportunities and advantages in surging forward, and the world as a whole was in a rebuilding stage.

In this case, we'll be sliding back right as several other major economies, specifically the EU and east asian combine, are revving up to full power, and we may very well get left behind (comparatively speaking), particularly if we no longer have the dollar to drag us along.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I know it's not something I lie awake at nights worried about. But it's hard not to think about it whenever I hear we're spending another billion here, and a billion there. By the time Bush IS out of the White House, and our debt is at its highest in our history, we'll also have to come up with a way to fix social security, plus our energy grid will be close to falling apart (it already is now).

I guess my major point is we're in for a rude awakening if we stick with the whole "we're rich we can afford it" attitude.

Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute... weren't you the one who was banned from Pweb for calling everyone loser nerds who need to get a life?
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Okay, so we nuke everyone else. Then we're ahead again.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Not much we can do about the EU, although they are going to be burdened a bit over the next few decades spending a lot of resources fixing up the eastern nations that just joined them.

Also, the biggest rising threat economically from Asia is China, and that's not something we'll be able to fix until we can get China to adopt fair labor practices and human rights laws like the modern western world has.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"We dug ourselves out of a huge hole following World War II. We can do it again, especially now that the economy seems to be doing better."

This does not necessarily logically follow, although it is a cornerstone of conservative thought.

But what worked once will not necessarily work again unless the conditions that caused it to work the first time are understood and duplicated.

There's an old Chinese proverb about this that refers to the essential conservatism and ancestor worship of Confuscian thought: "A farmer was walking in his fields when a rabbit, startled by his approach, leapt up and fled from him. It ran headlong into a tree stump nearby and broke its neck. The farmer brought the rabbit home and ate it. He and his family starved a few weeks later, having neglected their farming in favor of standing by the stump, waiting for more rabbits."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit, when I saw the username, I was all set to psot a "Hi, interesting to see you again" post, as we had someone with the exact SN at pweb. But as no one has been insulted and told to get a life yet, I'm not sure.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This does not necessarily logically follow, although it is a cornerstone of conservative thought.
I think it's a cornerstone of Republican thought, which is not neccessarily linked to all conservatives.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
After WWII, our economy had an incredible boom because we were one of the few developed nations that still had its infrastructure in place. We don't have that luxury now.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Unless, of course, Bush plans to bomb everyone else back to pre-industrial levels. That COULD be part of the strategy. [Wink] j/k
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We can do it again, especially now that the economy seems to be doing better.
Will the enonomy continue to improve now that interest rates are going back up?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
by the way, is there a rule in the TOS that says if your user name is Locke, you must preface it with punctuation marks?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jexx

Silly newbies. They are so cuuuute. Confining politics all to one thread. *pat*pat* That's sweet.

Shut up, jerk.

Or at least get funnier.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Yep, I'm an idiot. I didn't take the condition in the rest of the world into account. Thanks for pointing out the error in my thinking. *hangs head in shame*

Icarus, it has been my perception that the economy has been picking up a bit. However, I admit that I'm very insulated from business cycles, so perhaps I am wrong. And unfortunately, I can see a need to raise taxes significantly to cover all this debt, which might also be hard on the economy.

-=Locke=-
Member # 7248

Well you got to remember how the employement is doing nowa days. I never really was answered this question, i've asked alot of my teachers that i thought would really know, but it seems that they all have their own opinion. Some are saying that we have yet to recover the jobs that we lost from 9/11, but that sounds a little ify. And one of my other teachers said that we've doubled our employement rate because some companies are wishing to expand more. So if somone truely knows, please inform me.
-Locke

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet jebus! That was kind of mean!

*mutters*

Teasing never comes across correctly on forums.

*shrug*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Wise proverb, Tom.
Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.