FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny ironic bumper sticker.

Author Topic: Funny ironic bumper sticker.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure everyone has seen the bumper-sticker that has an American flag with the words, "These colors don't run" written over it. Now, everyone knows I'm a conservative, but I just started laughing my head off when I saw one of these bumper-stickers today (Mostly because I hate bumper-stickers, mostly because it was funny). Why? All of the colors had faded and all that was left was a light blue patch and the dark black words...So I thought, well, I guess those colors do at least FADE if you use an Ink-jet printer to create them.

[ January 12, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never really understood those "these colors don't run" bumper stickers.....

My favorite funny bumper sticker that I am so, so tempted to buy and stick on my truck is "Who would Jesus bomb?"

[ January 12, 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't run, but I guess they can fade.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of them I've seen are all faded out by now.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
<-- doesn't do bumper stickers
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
"Save a cow, eat a vegetarian"

I would so get that as a bumper sticker or a shirt, but everyone at my school would mug me. :P

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
A pastor I knew growing up loved to tell a story about a car he saw with a “God is my co-pilot” bumper sticker – turning the wrong way onto a one-way street.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a couple of bumber stickers I liked, but I can't stand the thought of gucking up the back of my car with them. I hate, hate, hate those cars with thirty "clever" political bumper stickers all over the back of them and I don't want to have anything in common with that.

Dana, my mom was going on a long trip and told her own mother not to worry because "Jesus was her co-pilot and would keep her safe." My grandma told her, "Knowing the way you drive, you'll flip the car over and crush Him flat."

[ January 12, 2005, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Even worse is bumper stickers that you can't even read when you are behind them at a stoplight, either because of its fancy font or because it is too small.
SausageMan
Member # 5134

- posted      Profile for SausageMan           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite political bumper sticker was before the 2000 pres. election:

"Bush/Gore 2000"

It had a picture of a donkey with an elephant's butt.

Posts: 48 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

"Magick happens," MPH.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What does "These colours don't run?" mean anyway?
It sounds... A little racists to me for some reason, but it could be because I am dumb like that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I never though about it like that, Syn. I was all set to argue with you, but it does sound like it has some racial undertones.

I mean, THESE colors don't run? As opposed to which colors? I don't think it's deliberately racist, just not very well thought out.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"Colors" refers to the flag - the saying means "The U.S. doesn't run away from a fight."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Are you just supposed to compare it to, say, blue dye in blue jeans? Like those colors run, but these don't?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No. "Colors" literally refers to the flag in the military. As in "strike the colors."

They're not talking about red, white, and blue as shades of color. They're actually talking about the flag.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think so, PSI.

edit: I think that it is a double entendre that refers to both.

[ January 12, 2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I understand the symbolism in the statement and I understand what it's referring to. It's just...it COULD be misunderstood.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I am dumb.
It's still an irratating bumper sticker though.
I like rainbow flag ones and funny ones.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked, "My other car is a broom"
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I guess you really like it. [Wink]
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's just...it COULD be misunderstood.
I should have put that bumper sticker on our AMC Concord that we threw away last summer.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
It kept telling me it hadn't posted. I even checked once, and it hadn't shown up.

So BITE ME, @$$wipe.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I like one that I saw a couple of weeks ago: "My son was inmate of the month at the county jail!" [Big Grin]
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite funny bumper sticker that I am so, so tempted to buy and stick on my truck is "Who would Jesus bomb?"

That is sooo wrong!

It should be "whom." [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that says "I brake for Amazons". My friend got it for me because I have something of an amazonian build.

But when I was going to go put it on my car, my dad said, "You can't put that on your car! People will think you're... YOU KNOW..." :eyeroll: Whatever. I just think it's funny.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't stick bubmper stickers to our cars, we stick them to magnets so we can take them on and off.

I seriously want to find one that says "Visualise stopping distance", but B. says that will just inspire little punks to ride my bumper.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Save a cow, eat a vegetarian"
Save two cows, eat a carnivore.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Neither of my bumper stickers is funny or unique in any way, but the combination gets quite a bit of comment:

on the left:
I'd Rather Be Playing Scrabble

on the right:
Motorcycles Are Everywhere

it did occur to me that I might consolidate, and just have one sticker saying:

I'd Rather Be CCGLIMNOORTY

[Cool]

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest bumper sticker I ever saw (and the wittiest) was on this really old and ugly car. It said "Don't let the car fool you : my treasure is in heaven."
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a great bumper sticker/car combination in Madison about 10 years ago. WI did not have mandatory car inspection at the time, which was a good thing for this car's owner, because the car never would have passed.

It was a crappy little late 70s/early 80s type of car. It was painted teal in some parts and rust-colored in others. One of the taillights was wrapped in yellow translucent tape.

It had the windows on one side broken out and replaced with plastic sheet wrap and duct tape.

And the back bumper had evidently been replaced with -- I SWEAR I am not making this up -- a two-by-four held on with bunjee cords.

The sticker on the back read: QUESTION TECHNOLOGY.
[Eek!]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
And speaking of bumper stickers in Madison, the one that most irritated me was the ubiquitous hippy-dippy "Commit Random Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty."

I often thought of making my own sticker that read "Commit Constant Kindness and Meaningful Acts of Beauty." But I never got around to it.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a big fan of putting bumper stickers on my cars either, but I do have one that I bought years ago that I put prominently in my front windshield that says "Normal people worry my!" [Razz]
Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda like bumper stickers. I'm liberal and make no secret of it, so I have a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker on my car (still, probably not gonna take it off till next election) as well as on either side of it one that says: "A village in Texas is missing its idiot." and another: "One Nation... Under Survellance."

Its just another way of expressing myself, and how I feel about our current government and the way the country is going.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
Seen on a local military base: "Happiness is a belt-fed weapon."

Randomly seen on the interstate: "Things just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister."

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

I love it when people put multiples of the same bumper sticker on their car. I saw a guy in North Carolina with 5 Confederate flags on the back of his car. As if one wasn't enough to tell people that someone in his family line liked his sister a little too much [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
A coworker was lamenting the fact that her mom has a "W" bumper sticker. I suggested she take a red permanent marker and make the circle/slash over it like this .

She giggled. [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not going to put a bumper sticker on my car, but my favorite two bumper stickers from the past few months were both political in nature:

"Re-Defeat Bush in 2004"

and

"More Trees, less Bush"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Seen on a junked out Olds...
"Stop laughing, its paid for."

And currently on my truck *dons asbestos suit* I have this sticker...
"Ladies Anarchist Sewing Circle and Terrorist Society"

It was applied before 9/11. I don't think I'd have done so afterwards, but I'm too lazy to remove it.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I saw a guy in North Carolina with 5 Confederate flags on the back of his car. As if one wasn't enough to tell people that someone in his family line liked his sister a little too much
Yeah, because rural southerners are all inbred, aren't they? Ha ha.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

No. I'm one of em. [Razz] There are only a very select few southerners that still display confederate all over the place. The fact that one person had 5 confederate flags on one car shows that he either suffers from chronic redundancy, or is an extreme redneck. I can understand one flag. But five?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.