FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Planning for Spring Break

Author Topic: Planning for Spring Break
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's a little early, but with snow on the ground and more promised tonight, I'm thinking about warm sun.

Every year, we plan a family vacation. Last year it got cancelled because we were too busy. This year, we're not cancelling it for anything. I need suggestions, though, on where to go for Spring Break (mid-April). Conditions:

• Must be between 70 - 85 degrees.
  • Can't be more than a few hours flight from Seattle. We're travelling with a very squirmy, active 2 year old. We usually go to Florida, but that's off the list this year because it's too far.
  • Family friendly area, with lots to do.
  • Not terribly expensive.
On the list right now is SoCal and Phoenix. Off the list is Vegas (ick) and Hawaii (too far). Suggestions of place and what to do there?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I vote Phoenix with a day trip to Tucson. I think that is when the Saguaros are in bloom. The west branch of Saguaro national park is really cool and free of charge. If I had known in advance I would have gone to the Desert museum which has more premium museum tier pricing. Like $8 per adult.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Mid-April may be a bit warm in Phoenix (at least that's what I consider when "warm" hits - in April) - around 80+ if I remember correctly. I think the weather here is best in mid-March.

[ January 12, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I wish we could go in mid-March. I wish we could go NOW. School schedules. [Razz]

How far is it to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix?

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go for Andromeda.

Can't help you on that one, sorry. (Raising post count.)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Must be between 70 - 85 degrees
If you come to Florida now, you can get that. I can't guarantee how much longer it will last though.

We are flying to Colorado in mid-March. We have been assured by several parents, our brother-in-law the doctor, and our pediatrician that giving Ryan a dose of nighttime cold medicine before the flight will be in everyone's best interest.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest Phoenix, but you already thought of it. If you come and I'm not away on my spring break, I'd love to get together with you. I could even show you around the ASU campus, though I suspect your kids wouldn't be interested.

There's plenty of interesting stuff to do in the area. What kind of activities did you have in mind? Outdoors stuff? Theme parks? Museums?

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
If it ends up being SoCal, we'd love to see you. Just sayin'.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I'm leaning toward SoCal for a cruise. There're a couple of 7 day cruises the week of spring break.

Thanks Shigosei and Pops...if we go either place, I'll let you know as soon as I know. It would be fun to meet you and your family Papa, and good to see you again Shigosei. [Smile]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote Phoenix, with a day trip to Tucson and a 3 day trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Jerome.

The Desert Museum is a must see if you wind up in Tucson. Other attractions can be chosen on preference. On the way back to Phoenix, I'd also recommend stoping by Kitt Peak Observatory for one of their star tours. It's one of the more effective visible light telescopes left in the US. Phoenix would be in the 80's by then, but the areas around it would be 5-15 degrees cooler, so the average might work out.

If you do end up here, I'm up for an AZ Hatracker luncheon.

Feyd Baron, DoC

P.S. Grand Canyon is 4-6 hours away. Depending on what side you want to be on, and stoping for scenery on the way.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.