FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nancy Drew

Author Topic: Nancy Drew
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Nancy Drew a lot when I was younger. Last night I decided to pull one out. I ended up reading three of them before bed. It was nice to go back to the predictable plot lines and simple stories. I am defiantly keeping them for my daughter. [Smile]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a large collection of Nancy Drews. They're not worth much (most of them), but boy, are they fun. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read those things now, I wince at descriptions of Nancy's "athletic" friend, George, and her "pleasantly plump" friend Beth (wasn't it Beth?)

Nancy Drew's great for encouraging the use of the term "titian."

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hardy Boys were way better [Wink] . They got kidnapped once a novel, Nancy Drew was more sporadic.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Bess. And interestingly enough, the origins of George's name changed with the times.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like George and Bess's descriptions either. I prefer less kidnapping. The kidnapping makes me nervous. I couldn't fall asleep witht the light off after reading one of them last night. [Blushing]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading #100 of the Hardy Boys (I have all the hardback books in my room after years of searching for them) when Frank (or Joe?) gets blown up in a car accident. Haven't read one since.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Mama received a set of Nancy Drew books for Christmas. I don't think she's read any of them yet (since getting them, that is -- she probably read them all as a child).
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I remember reading #100 of the Hardy Boys (I have all the hardback books in my room after years of searching for them) when Frank (or Joe?) gets blown up in a car accident. Haven't read one since.
Chet's sister Iola gets blown up in a car bomb meant for Joe and Frank in Casefiles #1 (never read that one since, either, what a surprise!)

Similarly, their father gets kidnapped and possibly killed.

I am now wading through masses of Hardy Boys information that I never knew existed. Is it a Casefiles in which one of them loses his life? This is all I can find.

And there's apparantly the beginning of a whole new series coming out in June 2005.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I read every Hardy Boys and Bobsey Twins book when I was little. They were fun.

[ January 13, 2005, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a huge fan of the Hardy Boys as a kid. Odd, that I don't really read mystery books anymore. I mostly read scifi/fantasy and spy novels.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well, same here. I haven;t read a Hardy Boys novel for... six or seven years or thereabouts? That's since I was twelve or eleven.
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved Nancy Drew. Read my mom's "antique" collection and built a massive collection of my own. All being saved (along with Bobsey Twins, Agatha Christy, etc.) for my poor future daughter who will doubtless have more of the George personality and will prefer to play catch instead of read which will inevitably land me in the hospital after taking a severe blow to the head in a game of catch due to my miserable coordination level which is why I stayed inside reading way way way too many books.

I seem to recall a Hardy Boys where Joe's girlfriend got killed in a car explosion; he wore her dog tags around for awhile, I think.

Guilty confession: I also read the books where Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys teamed up. In hindsight, I'd say those joint endeavours probably were not the pinnacle of either series' quality.

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Nope, but I also read them [Smile] .
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was wrong on the book number where he dies, but I know it happened. I remember reading it and just immediately throwing down the book in disgust and never reading one again.

I suppose I'll go back and read my original hardcovers again someday.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember him dying. You don't think it could have some sort of hoax, part of the mystery? I think I remember an episode like that, actually.

I loved the Trixie Beldon series. I have every book except one in the series.

I liked Nancy Drew too, but didn't like the recent stuff. The oldest books were always the best.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to write a book called Nancy Drew a Blank.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there was another mystery series by the same people. The Dana Girls, I think. I never saw many of those books around. I loved Bobbsey twins, mainly the early ones. I liked the nursing series Sue Barton and the other series Cherry Ames was pretty good too.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.