FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interior design = fun! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Interior design = fun!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool sounds like you are making massive progress!

You still normally have to put one last coat of paint on the prefinished baseboards. I've seen places advocating that coat before nailing into the wall and then just doing touch up.

We've tried painting them once the baseboards are on the wall, because it's been too cold to do the pre-paint. Even though we've taped off the floor we haven't had a lot of sucess. (Maybe Punwit has ideas.) What I've ended up doing is going around on my hands and knees with Qtips and razor blades after we have painted and pulled the tape off to try to get up the little drips that seem to leak past the tape.

AJ

[ January 24, 2005, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Prepainting the baseboards is definitely the way to go if you have the room to spread the trim out on sawhorses. If you elect to install first and then paint you might want to check on safe-release tape. Regular masking tape that is left on wood too long will leave behind glue that can be difficult to remove. One hint when masking off is to use a putty knife to press down the edge of the tape that is adjacent to your painting surface. This will decrease (not eliminate) the number of spots where paint can seep beneath your tape. Goop Luck!

[ January 24, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: punwit ]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to paint them, eh?? Sheesh, no wonder people are paid to do this stuff. [Big Grin] The trim may have to wait until it gets warmer, then.

I do have several rolls of the blue masking tape. They use it on Trading Spaces! [Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the pre-painted trim is only primed. I suppose if you're happy with the way it looks you could live with it that way. Personally I like to prepaint with a good enamel then install and spackle the nail holes and caulk the cracks. I then paint of the spackle and the caulking. If you don't paint the caulking it will be a dust magnet and in short order you will have a dingy place everywhere that you have caulking.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm trying to remember if we caulked before we painted... I think we did...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Okay! We survived the move on Wednesday, and now we're continuing to work on the kitchen and the upstairs paint.

Photos, including some pics of the new puppy!

It'll take us a while to get all this done, but we're getting there!

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Awesome, I wish we'd had a digital camera when we moved in, to get more before pictures, but you know, $$ was tight.

That kitchen vertical beam that you want to remove has me slightly concerned. Make sure it isn't load bearing before you do it.

AJ

Zeugma
Member # 6636

It's not, it's just a bunch of 2x4's loosely nailed together. We got the go-ahead from the contractor that inspected the place.

The bigger problem is that it has one 240 and two 120-volt wires running down it to the kitchen sockets and range. I'm thinking I'm going to hire a handyman to extend the wires and run them along the ceiling and down that wall to the right, the way it should have been done in the first place. Then I'll remove that vertical thing and the 2x6 along the ceiling, and put in a track light with the three hanging pendant lights over the breakfast bar. Which, like the rest of the kitchen, is eventually going to be tiled. Also, those cabinets are going to go.

This is fun! [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.