FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Matrix is breaking!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Matrix is breaking!!!
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I know I have joked before about the possibility of us all being stuck in "the Matrix" and this whole experience being some sort of virtual experience.

Well, the Matrix is breaking. Tonight, we were driving home from Arby's, and Porter says, "Did you see that lightning?" I gave him a puzzled look and said, "There's no lightning in the winter!" He said, "The mountains. They just turned 'on' and 'off'. I'm telling you, I saw it!"

Then I saw it. Sure enough, the large range of snowy mountains that looms over Utah valley lit up a dim blue as though by lightning. The sky didn't light up, just the mountains.

When we arrived at home we got out of our car and noticed that the sky was perfectly clear.

And if that wasn't weird enough, then a girl shows up at our door giving away free carpet cleaning. At 7pm. In the dark. She wanted to come in our house right then and give a demonstration. I told her "no thanks".

And after the door closed, both Porter and I remarked that we'd seen that girl before.

The Matrix is breaking. Save your sanity while you still can.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*spooked*

And there were those weird lights we saw on the way to the airport . . . ! [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Rivka, what kind of lights did you see? Was it similar? I just can't figure out what caused what we saw. I know of nothing man made that could have spread light so evenly over a whole range of mountains. Lightning is the only thing that seems a possibility.

Does anyone here know anything about strange lightning?

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the fact that here in Indiana was 70 degrees in the MIDDLE OF WINTER all last week! And we now have so much water that everywhere is starting to flood. Again: IN THE MIDDLE OF JANUARY!!

We've had more thunderstorms this january than I think we had all fall!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, very different.

There was this arc of five lights that was ahead of us for almost the whole way. They would have been quite ordinary if they had been suspended on/from something.

But while they seemed to be quite high up, they were NOT ATTACHED TO ANYTHING. At first I thought they might be attached to part of the mountain, but eventually they were in a different place relative to it.

mack kept making cracks about UFOs . . . and she took pictures, but I don't think they came out. [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I was joking with Porter that the light was a sweeping scanner beam from some alien vessel.

The invasion begins!

Now I am wondering again about that gal who came to the door. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a thunderstorm here in Madison two days ago.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
There was lightening here and in Ottawa yesterday. It was very very weird.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I can beat that Alcon, here it got into the 70's the last couple days, there is still some snow left piled up in a few places from a few weeks back, despite the freakishly warm weather, and there are big broken chunks of trees in the middle of the Ohio river that don't seem to have moved at all in nearly a week, evenh though the river is way up, and should have stronger current than normal.

Also, thankls for the warning beverly, but it is way too late to save my sanity, though i may go watch one of the Matrix movies.

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

We had two feet of snow earlier this winter. TWO FEET!! Bton normally gets about 12 inches over the course of the ENTIRE winter, with a 'heavy' snowfall around the beginning of March included in that.

We had 2 feet of snow for about a week. Then it went up to like 50 degrees F and it all melted, then down again with a thunderstorm, and then up with thunderstorms and a lot of rain. Its been at 70 for the past week or so and now its going down again after that huge thunderstorm. Any one who looked at the weather radar before it hit should have been a little spooked: it was a solid huge unbroken line as wide as illonois is east to west and stretching across the entire united states almost prefectly aligned north to south and into canada. The back side of it was registering as snow in OAKLAHOMA, but not in Indiana! It was snowing way south of us, but raining here!

I've heard stories, that I've been unable to verify, of a weak tornado forming in LA. And then that it was snowing in southern California and raining in Northern California. Are those just rumors or are they fact? Anyone know?

The weather is just getting weirder as time goes on. SOMETHING is up, I suspect global warming is finally starting to have an effect.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Those are some very strange weather reports.

But where you had lightning, was it cold? I thought lightning just didn't happen in the cold. Plus, not a cloud in the sky. I don't get it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
31 degrees. That's cold to me, but YMMV.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yup, that's colder than I thought lightning ever happened at.

Do we have any resident meteorologists here at Hatrack?

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o Tomorrows forecast: 0 degrees.

And you know what... That's the high.

[Angst] <-- me blue and shivering because I'm going out tomorrow.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

That's Minnnesota for ya. [Wink]

I did a quick google search, and apparently there has been winter thunder in several places across the nation--Washington State and Chicago to name a couple.

Apparently it is rare, but it happens. I have not seen it before.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I once saw one of my professors instantaneously jump about an inch to the left once during a lecture. To be fair, I wasn't actually paying much attention...I don't think I was even looking directly at him. Also, I was probably sleep deprived or stressed at the time. So actually, I'm certain it was a subjective effect. But maybe not in the light of these strange phenomena!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My niece in Grande Prrairie, Alberta, Canada, said it was -50 there yesterday. That's freakin' cold! And no, at those temperatures, it doesn't matter that much whether it's Celsius or Fahrenheit! Brr! <insert Brrr Graemlin>
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
We interrupt our usual program to make the following anouncement:

"Please don't be scared! The recent unexplained lights & stuff are due to some bad code written by a rookie. We've taken care of that and the person has been fired. You can now resume your rutine lives."
-- The Architects

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
(Was it about Holy Grail or not ?)

[ January 14, 2005, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think matrix breaking follow the hour shift ? Because in France, i took a coktail twice yesterday night... and i drank it twice too...

I'm afraid... [Angst]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's really weird? It's -38 degrees celsius here with the windchill. Oh wait, that's normal.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
SteveRogers is only the alias of an escaped hacker trying to free your lousy hides. But none of you want out of your stupid bubbles. [Evil]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just orem. There was this strange green light illuminating a tall pale (leafless) tree on that big S curve on University.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
yes ! after coktails i saw mysterious light too... they danced face to my eyes... That was beautiful, a broken matrix. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bev, did the carpet cleaning girl have dreds, or maybe extremely short hair?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there were funnel clouds detected in the atmosphere in Ventura and Los Angeles Counties. And yes there was snow in Southern CA. Strawberries are going to cost quite a bit more this year because with all the rain, cold and flooding close to 1/3 of the CA strawberry crop was destroyed.

In 48 hours in Chicago it went from 62 down to 6. And Bev, while thunderstorms are extremely unusual in January this was a Thunderstorm. I believe "winter thunder" is thunder when it is snowing which was most definitely *not* what was happening here. We were getting torrential rain as well as thunder and lightening. In the past 48 hours we also went through every form of precipitation I think there is, fog, drizzle, rain, freezing rain/sleet, hail, ice and snow. (Am I forgetting any?)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Global warming? Aurora Borialis? Freak accident?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone ever here of an explanation for the lights over Phoenix a couple years ago?
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
lem, no they never did bother explaining the ones for 5 or so years ago. Or the ones about a year ago. Or the one video taped by the Mexican Air Force Jet. I think we've given up on any explination from the government, no matter how mundane.

I believe LA had a waterspout in their vicinity, but to my knowledge the only threatening funnel cloud over any of the west's metro areas was the one here in Phoenix. Good thing it didn't touch down, everyone here was gawking at it, noting how cool and unusual it was. That makes two tornados in a year in this part of the country, which as far as I know of is pretty much unheard of.

I suppose the fact that the rivers in Phoenix are actually running could be a prelude to the appocalypse (or the Matrix breaking, whichever you prefer).

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The last funnel cloud in Tucson was before I moved here. They brought all the school kids (including my husband) outside to watch it pass overhead. O_o
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

PSI: No, and no tatoo of a white rabbit either. [Wink]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Ah, too bad. We had a girl come here a few months back and tried to clean a stain out of our carpet while we were eating supper. The product didn't work at all but she kept hanging around, like maybe we'd buy it to get her to leave us alone. I get the feeling it was a bottle of vinegar water.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I am wondering again about that gal who came to the door.
She didn't happen to have antennae did she? And maybe a tail?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

No, I think if she had, neither Porter nor I would have found her quite so familiar looking. [Smile]
beverly
Member # 6246

You know, I had another "scary thought" before the sun came up this morning on what could have caused the mountains to light up like that.

Sun flares. 'Cause, you know, the sky was clear and the moon was out.

Have any of you read that short story... dang I can't remember the name of it now.... Cool story. This guy notices the moon is shining too brightly. And it gets brighter. Until it hurts to look at. And he realizes that the sun is flaring up somethin' awful and that all the people on the other side of the earth are being burned to a crisp.

So he procedes to enjoy the very last night of human life on planet earth....

Edit: The story, I think is called "Inconstant Moon"

[ January 14, 2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

That's a Larry Niven story..."Inconsistent Moon" I think it's called.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Thanks, Noemon! [Wink] Just a moment too late....
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That's a comforting thought.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, that isn't the sort of thought you'd want to have as you're drifting off to sleep.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O I just read "Inconstant Moon" last night.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I haven't read that story since Jr. High. I'll have to reread it sometime in the near future.
beverly
Member # 6246

Dana, did you like it? I really enjoyed it.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The invasion begins!
And it begins in.... Utah?

Whoa. Who exactly is invading?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Correction: I just re-read it last night. I'd read it before, and yes I did (do) like it.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Sarah says it's the Pod-people.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

About unexplained lights: More often than not they're just military technology experiements which they don't wanna talk about. It turns out they've been testing designs for saucer shaped airplanes for a while. They have a working robotic prototype now. No joke. I think its actually only a half saucer, but close enough. Its public knowledge though. But if they have that, who knows what else they've been up to *shrug*

Not the one I was thinking of, but here's one example of what I was talking about. I don't think this one has a working prototype yet (at least, not bigger than 10 grams):
http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/prop16apr99_1.htm

Here's another that did have a (sort of) working prototype back in the 50's and then got abandoned... still can't find the working half saucer one I'm thinking of. I saw it in a magazine in class a while ago:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,44924,00.html

[ January 14, 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm guessing the lights that lem was referring to was this incident.

The more recent one wasn't seen quite as widely, and didn't get the publicity (I guess you can only have one open UFO debate at a time in a city).

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

We do get some very loud military jet fly-overs around here. It is freaky how loud they are!
Alcon
Member # 6645

Yes I'd guessed she was talking about that incident, and I've heard of that incident. That site itself suggests some sort of experiemental craft. *shrug* I'm betting thats what it is.
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Time to start canning water, and I'm stocking up on some more ammunition while I am at it.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.