FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sad parent moment-when cute pronounciations move on

Author Topic: Sad parent moment-when cute pronounciations move on
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Operaetta is 6, and has always called vanilla "ballilla."

Today she came home from school, where they'd made pudding in the classroom. She said, "I made chocolate, but everyone else made ba...vall...vanilla."

I hope we can hang on to "pupcakes" for "cupcakes." Boy Opera started the trend several years ago, and now even I say it too.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I hope she didn't change because she used "ballila" at school at the other kids made fun of her -- so she learned to say it the other way.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Anna used to ask for the merote when attempting to change the tv channel. I still miss those days!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that was the case, Farmgirl. Operaetta is very dramatic, and believe me, if someone had made fun of her at school I would have received a 40 minute rundown of the incident. [Wink]

When my nephew was 3, a family member taught him to say "horsey" instead of "warsey." My sister was so upset. Funny how we hang on to things like that.

And you know what? I'm making PUPCAKES this weekend.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Our daughter is just getting past calling roman numerals "numer romanals."

She still calls animals "aminals." I have to admit, that one's catchy.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Oh, I just remembered another good one!

Operaetta has been learning songs at school. The newest one is apparantly, "There's a great man in America....His name is Arthur Luther King."

When I asked if she meant Martin Luther King, she said, "Yeah. Arthur Luther!"

space opera

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids called 'em pupcakes too! So cute. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my nieces used to say "mobie" for movie, "whateber" for whatever, Uncle Mumen for Uncle Ruben and her little sister says "Apple" for Michael and "Gamma" for grandma. Nothing overly cute by themselves but when said by my nieces, very adorable.

I was just talking to my brother earlier today about how the time of mispronounced words has been my favorite in watching my nieces grow up. [Smile]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Both my kids said f's for th and l for r. So, there were Flee Stooges.

I was very sad when they got it right.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my brothers said "ah-toe" instead of yes for a very long time. We don't think he was confusing it with "okay" because he said "okay" separately.

All my word mixups were in Spanish, because I didn't learn English until much later. I said 'patos' instead of 'zapatos' (ducks instead of shoes).

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. My daughter used to call bandaids "bandowies". Last night she wanted one, and she called it by its correct name. [Frown]

She still calls yellow "lellow", which I love.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
When my oldest daughter was being toilet trained, she would tell me that she needed to go "poppy" which I thought was adorable. A woman that I was required to spend a lot of time with (it's kind of a long involved story, which I'll spare you) would get so angry with her and scream "POTTY not POPPY!!!" This despite the fact that her daughter said tee-tee instead of pee-pee...

Seriously, that woman needed to get a life, but that's another story.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm honestly scared of what I will say when I have kids to someone who yells at them for a stupid reason. I have limited self control when it comes to defending my family. It's got to be worse with my own kids.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 year old calls popsicles "dut-dohs".

I called ketchup "totchey".

And everyone calls Grandma "Ammy."

And I am going to feast on dut-dohs and pupcakes with ballilla frosting all weekend.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
My li'l sister couldn't pronounce three, she pronounced it pee. My brother and his friends would tease her until she refused to say how old she was anymore.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss my nephew calling me Auntie Dodo. ("Toni" became "Toto" and "Toto" became "Dodo".)

My parents wept when my speech impediment was finally conquered. No longer would anyone in my family be called "Vewy vewy WUDE."

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, one more:

I asked Kerrigan if I could call her Kerrigan (we call her Munch and Munchie as nicknames more frequently). She said, "No, me!".

I was confused and asked if her name was me, and she said, "Yeah!". "ME!".

So for about a week I had to call her "Me" and kept asking if I could call her Kerrigan, and eventually she said yes, I could.

Whew!

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie. From now on, I will call you Auntie Dodo, if it will make you feel better. I know it will work for me!!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I told D'mitri - You're at least eight years old now, sweetie. It's time to move on.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie...were you on "Full House"?

And, maui, I've always heard tee-tee as one way kids say pee. I hate the phrase, but people use it.

Not that it was okay for her to freak out or anything.

[ January 14, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

My point wasn't that tee-tee is WRONG, but it's just as different as "poppy", and so it really made her objection even more glaring. (Not that it's ever appropriate to freak out when a two year old mispronouces a word. But again, this lady had issues.)
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I said (and still say) spaghetti as sguh-betti. I can't seem to get my mouth around it. Maybe I shouldn't take Italian class....
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in grade two, my teacher used to regale us with tales of her grand-daughter and "hi-hons." Apparently the poor girl had a fixation with fire hydrants.

My sister used to call mustard "musmurd."

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to call me her babydoll, so when people asked me my name, I would say Babydoll. Eventually my mom got me to switch over to Inzydoll, then eventually just Inzy (I couldn't pronounce the "L" at the beginning of my name.).

One of my friends said "socky-sue-yas" for "socks and shoes."

Not a mispronunciation, but when I worked in childcare, a three-year-old there called me "sister." But she called her older brother "my boy." She was absolutely adorable.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to say "gomitar" instead of vomitar and "busanos" instead of gusanos.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter is fairly sensitive. My wife was talking to me once while the kids were in the bath, and said "meanwhile" at some point.

My daughter immediately stopped her and said, "Don't say mean, Mommy! I don't like mean! Say 'nicewhile!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keedokes
Member # 6301

- posted      Profile for keedokes   Email keedokes         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little I couldn't pronounce "tr" and used "f" instead. Lo and behold, one day at the grocery store a bread delivery truck pulled in front of the front window while we were checking out. And of course I had to point it out very loudly to my mommy.

"Look, mommy! Truck, TRUCK!"

Posts: 79 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

My youngest had the same "f" and "tr" problem. We very quickly taught her that Daddy drove a "pick up" and not a "truck".
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She still calls animals "aminals"
I'm 17 and i still catch my self saying animals.

Edit: my spell check fixed it. grr...

[ January 14, 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I still say waterlemon - it was my little brother's mispronunciation, and our family appropriated it.

He, at 16, denies all knowledge of this. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, if your kids are anything like me, they'll start using the cute pronounciations again when they go to college. [Big Grin]
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
These are just adorable!!!

When Matthew was little, he called bulldozers "boo-doo-doos". I still miss that.

Andrew's first food word was apple, but he called them "appum". A few weeks later he spontaneously started saying apple, but the rest of us said 'appum" for months.

He still calls chocolate "chokky".

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.