FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » katharina in school

Author Topic: katharina in school
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I just paid tuition for the first time.

This SUCKS. ONE class, and that's my fun money for the next three months. I can't BELIEVE that. At first I thought it was a mistake - there's no way that it should cost that much for ONE grad class. [Frown] I've thought about not signing up and looking around for scholarships, but I don't want to put this off yet again. Oh jeez- is this what I really want to do? I'm getting a master's in tech writing from UNT, and my ultimate goal is to teach tech writing during the year and consult during the summer. I like teaching, but I like teaching adults. I like my current job, though, and I already have all the education I need for that. I love the idea of being a perpetual student, but I don't want to PAY for it!! Maybe I need to look around for some help.

I'm also a little torn about the school, but the fact is that they don't have that field at Ivy Leagues, and for my field, this is one of the best. That's part of the reason I moved to Dallas in the first place - because this school was here. I like the idea of law school, but I don't want to be a lawyer - <insert apologies> studying the details of systems created by men annoys me - it's the same reason I hate programming.

I've been goofing off for a few years - distracted by nightlife, personal life, the airport, and the glorious freedom of my own place and own money and own life. I do want my ultimate goals, though, so I'm doing something about that.

I just didn't know how expensive it is. I HATE this!!! [Frown] I want to go back to the days of self-taught. Can't I just buy the books and take a test somewhere? If only! Why do I want to do this again? Something to prove? It might be that... hmm, that shows an alarming insecurity. Wouldn't it be easier just to get some glasses that make me look intelligent? *sigh*

----

My "don't talk about money" conditioning is kicking in, and I feel like this is slightly tacky. Hmm...maybe I'll go see about financial aid. I wish some of the fees were optional - I don't need the medical fee, I have insurance from workm and I do NOT want to contribute to the athletics.

I realize this is a pure whining thread - sorry about that. I had to share my sticker shock.

[ January 24, 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait until you have to go buy the book for the class -- sometimes that's higher than the class itself...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

If it's higher than the class itself, it had better be illuminated.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the book for the class -- sometimes that's higher than the class itself...
I only wish.

*looks ruefully at tuition bill*

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya Kate - How's come you changed to Lady Jane? Did I miss something?

(I did, dinnit I. I just opened a whole can and I don't even know it yet.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie, that's why Jeff had to choose between school and baby food. And he isn't even in grad school. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, the timing of your return just barely missed the epic Frisco-Kat prank war, which was won by our beloved moderators.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What did the moderators end up doing? I never heard what happened.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Frisco stole katharina, and the moderators took her from him, but didn't return her to me. So, I needed another name, and Lady Jane is nickname of mine from when I was a wee Katie.

Added: *mentally crosses Ralphie off the list of possible narcs*

[ January 14, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest, Katie, why DIDN'T they return the nick to you?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh - Thanks. [Smile] I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your thread.

Carry on with college and scratch and whossits and whatnots!

edit: And apparently further explanations on nick issues. Sorry. :/

[ January 14, 2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Tom, I don't know. Kristine said she would see about getting the e-mail address changed back to mine, but none of my e-mail addresses bring me the password.

I'd ask again, but ModGod sounded slightly irritated during last discussion about this, so I'm waiting for some good will to build up.

Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, is there any type of tuition reimbursement program where you work (BSA, right)? My company has paid all of my tuition for my tech writing master's so far. I've had to apply for it each semester, and it's a pain, but I haven't had to worry about tuition.

Not saying this to gloat, just to let you know it's a great thing if your employer offers it. Maybe something to check into.

~AFR

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Hmm...that's a good idea. They send me places a few times a year for training - this should at least be worth it. I'll look. [Smile] Good idea.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* You didn't pay for your bachelors?

Is there any way that you could get a fellowship or a TA or research assistanceship?

I know what you mean about spending money on yourself, though. I'm feeling pretty squicky myself about choosing to work part time and keep Sophie's daycare full time (I'll have the freedom of what days to work and if/when I want to take her out). I hate having to make those kinds of money/value decisions.

I think most schools allow you to opt out of the medical fee if you sign a waiver that you have insurance. You might also be able to get out of some of the activity fees, but usually they're pretty nominal. (~20)

Congrats for taking that first step, though! What class are you taking?

[ January 14, 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I have no doubt you made and make the right decisions for Sophie. It is hard to figure out what exactly to do and make those choices.

I had a scholarship for bachelor's.

I'm taking Technical Editing. I know - not exciting sounding. I have a painting class on Wednesdays - that sounds like much more fun.

[ January 14, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* Technical editing sounds very, um...useful. [Smile] But, you're right, not nearly as good as "fun money" sounds. Keep your eye open, though. I'll bet you can find something to help you pay for it.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't pay for my Masters. Nyah nyah [Taunt]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing to add but a wistful wish that I could have a brain transplant, or maybe brain implant of Katie's hard-won skills. I'm writing our training manuals and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Would you consider selling me your brain, Katie?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anyone who finished a master's degree program without taking out any loans.

If you only have to give up 3 months of fun money to take 2 classes, you're way ahead of the game.

And if you really want sticker shock, you should try pricing law schools.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I'm paying for grad school with loans and the freedom that comes with my first job will be overshadowed by those huge loan payments.

But, having a masters degree WILL get me a higher salary (as high as that of a new public school teacher can be I suppose.) So it is worth it.

But, like you Katie, I have very bitter feelings about handing THAT MUCH money over to a university. [Grumble]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, think of the alternative...you could hand it over to me!

Wait...that is a good alternative, you could hand it over to me.... :: puppy eyes ::
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the insurence fee IS waivable, if you can show proof that you are insured and are willing to sign a wavier. The law requires that you be insured (IIRC) but it doesn't force you to carry their insurance.

Dag, what are you saying...that you wish your books could ocst 20,000 a year, like you tuition? [Taunt]

Kwea

[ January 14, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
What I've been dealing with recently is $130 natural gas bills. Eep!
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

He-ey!!! The universe heard my whining!

I got an e-mail today from the grad school saying I have a scholarship if I add one more class. That means I'd have to pay the difference between one class and two classes, but that's considerably smaller than the difference between one class and zero classes. And...I'll bet I can talk work into paying that difference.

Yay!!

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a full scholarship that also paid for books when I was in school before, but this time I'm paying for everything. Wes makes too much for us to qualify for financial aid, and we were four years into our marriage before we paid off his student loans so I detest the thought of borrowing money for this. So, we're just sucking it up and coming up with the money as best as we can.

Yeah, books are a killer. I really, really resent paying $75 for a used book and it's not even hardback. [Frown]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I've been dealing with recently is $130 natural gas bills. Eep!
I'll trade you, Nato. Ours is $500. (That is to fill our propane tank once, which is what we use on the farm for our central heat). We are on the 3rd tankful of this winter.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know anyone who finished a master's degree program without taking out any loans.

Er, except for me. And I know plenty others. [Razz]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Europeans.

And Canadians.

[Wink]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, you don't qualify for a pell grant or anything?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I'm taking one class this Spring, because more interferes with the stuff I do on other nights. This is fine, except for one thing.

Oh my stars, I'm already bored.

Our class projects are to create things that I create every day on my job already. I'm wondering if this is one of those classes that is for those who didn't do it as undergrad and don't do it for their job. I wish I could submit one of my work projects rather than take the class - wouldn't that work? I get paid to do this stuff!

Begging the question, why am I taking it? Because I want the piece of paper. *sigh* Oh well. We are using a different program to create it, so I'll learn something there. And it's always good to brush up on principles and technique.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to the teacher, maybe you can pass out based on work projects.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

quote:
maybe you can pass out based on work projects
*grin*

I did, sort of. I told her what I did for work, and she sort of laughed that I wasn't going to learn a whole lot in the class. That didn't seem promising.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I got through my masters with no loans. Regrettably, the same cannot be said for my Ph.D.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kat, could you just ask the teacher if you could transfer to a more advanced class. If you pass the more advanced one, they'll normally realize you already met the requirements for a lower one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Zal, I just finished my M.A. in English, and I'm actually up a few thousand from two-and-a-half years ago. I'm waiting to hear from Ph.D. programs, but you'd better believe I'm not going to any that would put me into debt.

Of course, if you're doing advanced degrees for professional reasons, debt is a viable option. I, on the other hand, am not aiming for any particular job, so there's no way I'm going to pay for my Ph.D.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
This is odd, because I don't know anyone who did pay for their advanced degrees. I think that Andrew paid for law school, but he did not pay a thing for his Ph.D. In fact, he made money teaching and with fellowships. My friend Jen is studying landscape architecture in Amsterdam and being paid for it.

If I ever decide to get an advanced degree (which I've been thinking about), it'll be totally free. There are benefits to being married to a professor. It's not a bad way to put yourself through school.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just got mostly done with my MLIS (a 3-semester program). The first two semesters (5 + 4 three-credit classes) were paid for by Bill Gates, whose foundation supports the training of public librarians. So I only had to pay for 3 classes, and didn't need a loan.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

quote:
Hey Kat, could you just ask the teacher if you could transfer to a more advanced class.
I'm in the advanced class.

It's an elective, but it's an elective I'll have to take eventually. I guess that's the breaks when you get a professional degree for a profession you already practice.

[ January 25, 2005, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first two semesters (5 + 4 three-credit classes) were paid for by Bill Gates, whose foundation supports the training of public librarians.
No such luck for educational librarians, I bet. [Frown]

Though I wonder if I could get the MLIS through an information science program as oppposed to an education program - it would mean going to a different MLIS program, than the one I'm planning on now. I'd still be able to get the education certificate. Hmm....

Oh, and Kayla mentioned Pell grants - they are still based on economic need.

There are several grant and scholarship programs available for future teachers, if only I'd decide to teach math or science instead of specializing in reading and/or library media.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Now we are learning how to create a site in Dreamweaver. Soon, we learn about styles. [Frown] I'm bored.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If you do the work, you'll get an "A" 'cause you already know how to do it, right? So can't you bring a book or surf the 'net or something during class?
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Class is currently going on. So...I hope so. [Eek!]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh. [Big Grin] Good.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just think of it as an enforced break time every week. [Wink]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
We learned how to calculate Means in my Psy 200 class today. We spent about a half an hour on learning how to AVERAGE things and my professor has promised we'll study it "in greater detail in the future."

I sort of feel like if you don't know how to find a mean you really probably shouldn't be in college.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I agree. Or at least, it should be corrected in remedial math before you're allowed to take anything else.
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
eh. How many people in your class didn't know? If it was a largish class, I bet on 10% or better. What are the math prereqs to take this class (even if not listed what did all the psych. majors in there take already?)

Studying it more in the future is questionable too. Is this going to be an intro to statistics? If so means might be a good place to start.

In the end though, its still sucky and boring.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.