FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » MIT preservative in cosmetics

Author Topic: MIT preservative in cosmetics
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very impressed to have gotten a reply back from Aveda after emailing their customer service about the recent findings that MIT (a common preservative/biocide in shampoo and other cosmetics) was found to kill rat neural cells. Granted, the concentration of MIT is very low in these products, but I am interested to see the future results of prolonged low level exposure.

Here is my personalized response from Aveda -- they rock as a company:

Dear Christy,

Thank you for visiting Aveda.com.

Aveda strives to obtain most ingredients used in our products from natural sources, including pure plant and flower essences sourced globally. However as a responsible cosmetics manufacturer, it is our obligation to provide safe products to our consumers. We therefore, use synthetic preservatives such as methylisothiazolinone (MIT), to assure the integrity of Aveda products.
While strides have been made in research in trying to eliminate synthetic preservatives from Aveda products, no alternatives have been approved at this time for substitution. We are comfortable with the use of MIT in our products as we are continually reviewing the current medical and scientific literature on this issue.
Please use those products that make you comfortable.

Your voice is the most powerful feedback we have. Every consideration is given our customer's comments and concerns and we appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We will be certain to share your feedback with the rest of our team.

Yours in service,

Kyle Aveda Web Relations

And my response:

Kyle,

Wow! I am very impressed to have actually gotten a personalized response. Thank you for your time. I enjoy Aveda products and respect their vision. Walking into an Aveda store or salon is a unique experience and the knowledge and respect for your products is palpable.

Still, I am curious that you are comfortable with the use of MIT in your products considering the known sensitization occurrences and the recent findings that suggest the death of neurocells. Is the concentration of MIT so low in your products that you feel assured of its safety?

And some interesting reads if you are so inclined:
Regulation
PubMed

Don't know why this has really sparked my interest, but for some reason it has. Must be the chemist in me. [Wink]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool that they took the time to give you a response, I'm somewhat surprised. I think it's the chemist along with the coolness factor of getting some sort of personalized response that got you interesting, I know that'd be the case for me.
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Yeah, I think you're right. That definitely gave me a boost. Of course, I spent a good hour researching when I really should have been doing other things, but it was a good distraction.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.