FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello Out There... I'm Still Here.

Author Topic: Hello Out There... I'm Still Here.
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post very often. Even less now that I'm working full time. You know how it is at a new job that you avoid even opening "questionable" sites--I mean sites like this one.. not the OTHER kind of questionable sites. Non-work sites is what I'm talking about. Anyway, I always wonder if someone is snooping on my work computer. New employees are on a 90-day probationary period. But my supervisor praises my work and ability in front of others often--so I feel pretty secure.

I still read the site at night. Often. Browsing through the first page, looking for interesting topics. I bet I'm not the only one who is very happy when Dan Raven posts about Sasha. I came to his adoption saga late, but I read the whole thing. Great stuff. I'm always left wanting to know more.

It's the personal topics like his that seem to interest me the most. I guess it's because I love stories... I love the sagas that humans go through. I often spend time reading communities on livejournal where people who have similar jobs post. Recently, I was reading a community of blockbuster employees and several communities of people who work in various call centers--telemarketing, auto repossession, collections, etc. I'm none of those things, but we have a movie pass at blockbuster, and I get a lot of calls from collections agencies that I don't answer. I suppose I just wanted to know what it was like for people on the other side. You'd be surprised at how much you can learn like that.

Sometimes, I am interested in the people story so much that the intellectual debates that derail the threads get on my nerves. Like the one about the boy who likes this girl with a boyfriend and he wants to ask her to dance. I want to read the advice to him and any updates he posts, so I get annoyed scrolling through the debate about stereotypes and women and commitment, etc. [Smile] (Not that I question the validity of the argument, I'm just talking about what I was interested in at the moment.)

I suppose I am an observer of your lives. Sometimes I post angst-filled problems, and people here are generally supportive, but mainly I'm here to listen. I envy the comaraderie you all have with each other--you regulars. I've never been able to break into that. I suspect because when I did post more regularly, I stayed out of the fluff threads, I don't share a lot about myself, and I rarely add people to my AIM lists. I actually took part more in the debates that I skip by now. I wonder why that is--probably because when I would post something I thought to be thought compelling, it would get lost and ignored, I doubt that was intentional.

I have this deep desire to make 1000 posts so I can do a landmark. But I don't think I'll get there. I don't want to do an early one. I want people to know me and actually care when I post one. 1000 posts seems like a magical number.

So anyway... I'm still here... I watch... I read... I'm following your lives...

[Wave]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I remember you! [Big Grin]

About the 1000 posts: don't worry, you'll get there. Each of us has his/her own pace, and you never know when a really hot (for you) topic comes along and you add 20-30 posts to your postcount! And then there's always that funny part when you reach 999 posts and your landmark isn't written yet! [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people don't wait for a landmark to post more personal stuff. It comes out anyway, in questions for advice and stuff like that, in your replies to other people's questions.
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.