FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Jatraquero Music Types

Author Topic: Hey Jatraquero Music Types
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably have to post this over on GreNME to get John's attention, but I'm curious about something...

Why don't we try and organize recording a song again? I know that, last time, it failed because hardly any of us had the time, but I'm willing to make some time to lay down some tracks with my bass, and could provide a little harmony/melody vocals.

Any takers?

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
What song?
Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I don't know. The song I was listening to that reminded me of that thread was Circle by Sarah McLachlan. <shrugs>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

And I always think about it when I listen to Leonard Cohen.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
How does that work exactly? I am a fairly reliable vocalist where harmonizing and blending is concerned. I'd make a great back-up singer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Well, we all record tracks on each other's computers and someone mixes them together. I have Cakewalk's Sonar Producer 3 on my system as well as a few other great pieces of recording software.
beverly
Member # 6246

Wow. I have never heard of doing something like that. Sounds very interesting!
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

It gets a bit more complicated than that. Someone has to figure out a good tempo and time signature so we can all set a metronome and not get thrown off. Most likely someone will record vocals and a guitar or something and send that to everyone else to have playing whilst they record their particular instrument.

No one person will, say, write the parts for anyone else. That person will just bring their style to the particular song.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
No one person will, say, write the parts for anyone else. That person will just bring their style to the particular song.
Whoa. This is especially interesting. Each person is working "blind", not knowing what direction another might take. How has that turned out in the past? Is it difficult or impossible to have it focus around lyrics?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I'm just throwing out ideas, but it seams plausible if you focus on a certain genre and style of music to have it work okay. I'm not saying it will be completely blind- more like since we can't all be in the same studio throwing around ideas we'll all just have to work it the best we can. We can have people re-record stuff that doesn't work and maybe offer some suggestions.
beverly
Member # 6246

Sounds to me like it would be pretty important for one person to start out with a particular sound, like a certain guitar riff, then share it with everyone. And then someone else could build on that idea, again share it across the net. Someone else might come up with some lyrics, share it with the group, etc.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do that if it was in my genre and I had access to the right equipment (I probably don't and probably no one likes the kind of music I write and sing). (I was lead singer in the family bluegrass/old-timey/eclectic band until I married and moved away.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

KQ!!! We recently got into bluegrass! I for one would totally be into that. I am a beginner mandolin player. [Big Grin]
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
I would do it, but it seems that you already have the bass front covered. And I can't sing.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
beverly, me too! I play basic mandolin (although I haven't even tuned it more than twice since the baby came), but mostly I sing. That's neat, though!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Whoo-hoo! That is so cool! We were in a competition recently, our first "real" performance. I think we put it in a thread around here somewhere....

*goes to look*

The only reason my hubby and our friend really wanted me in there was because of the singing requirement. Otherwise I wouldn't have felt ready on my mandolin skills alone.

That reminds me, I should practice today.

Edit: I looked and can't find it. I might try and make a new link a bit later.

[ January 15, 2005, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I could always play guitar instead. I do want to sing, though. Anyone for percussion?
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should try singing together, beverly. I have more of a straight voice. What about you?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.