FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Meat Trees

Author Topic: Meat Trees
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Yum
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
:Confused that it isn't dated April 1st:
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a dobie? If it is, I can't figure of what original...
FG

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha! Look at the source in the upper right hand corner. Really had me going there for a minute...
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6792

Actually this is a case of me not checking my sources thoroughly enough, or really reading anything more than the body. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Snopes rocks!!!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6792

But it was on the Internet so it must be true!!!1
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Just think...

Chick peas
Liver lillies
Real beefsteak tomatoes

Well, this could make me become a vegetarian!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, just earlier today at dinner, Alex, my Scottish stepdad, was saying that if a friend of his from Scotland came to America to visit, he would want to let him eat a bunch of the food around here (I guess Scottish people don't have a variety of food....?), but that the friend guy was a vegetarian, so it wouldn't work well.

And I said, "Well if they learned how to grow meat..."

Heh...heh heh...heh...

*cough*

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I said, "Well if they learned how to grow meat..."

They'd create haggis all over again!

I'm not ready for that. Is anyone, really?

[Angst]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister had a coworker who tried to convince her that Kentucky Fried Chicken was forced to change it's name to KFC by the FDA because meat grown from a culture in a petri dish isn't legally chicken. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Minor tangent: When Bruce Campbell was on location in New Zealand during Xena and Hercules, someone asked him if they had KFC in the States. He said, "Yeah, the K stands for Kentucky."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Despite this being a WWN story, I expect this kind of thing a decade or so down the road. We are rapidly approaching the point where this kind of thing is feasible, and it might be a much more efficent way to produce meat, with virtually no waste. Of course, I don't doubt the first offerings will not be exactly meat, more like a protien-rich meatfruit. Trying to engineer more complete meals or even medicine in the form of fruit is already underway. Do a google search for "nutraceutical".
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6792

It was that expectation which caused me to fall for it.

I also fully expect a few "bioethicists" (or bioluddites) to whine about playing God.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.