FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is there a moderate position on religion? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is there a moderate position on religion?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have different DNA from the person it's in?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. I'm not sure why that would be relevant, though, as an in vitro procedure with a cloned zygote would be presumably be treated the same as any other pregnancy -- i.e., it would be just as wrong (or not) to voluntarily abort it.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Let me emphasize: I'm not trying to be a jackass or score a snippy point. I'm really concerned about how to puzzle through this.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the potential for independent thought is ultimately essential. I'm not sure if even sndrake would advocate keeping a brain-dead fetus on life support indefinitely on the grounds that it might wake up someday.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I haven't formed a stance on cloning, I'm not sure I can give an opinion on that.

However, I'd have to go with Tom on the freaky tumor thing.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say the potential to grow to its own independance, but you're right. That puts us back to a place where sndrake would have to soundly kick my rear.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our concept of "human" is also inextricably tied up with the concept of "individual." A being who can never be an individual, by definition, is not considered human. And since the ability to make a decision is essential to our definition of individuality, a functional brain -- or at least a potentially functional brain -- is one of the first requirements.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nope, I'm not... the death penalty is the deliberate killing of a person. If you're for banning abortion, you ALSO think this is deliberate killing of a person. If you want to make exceptions for vengeance, but can't make other exceptions, you're a hypocrit. Well, either that or bloodthirsty.
Of course, by this logic, all exceptions must be allowed if any is. Which is patently absurd.

You have problems with a particular exception, yet want to grant another one. I have problems with the one you support, yet am in theory OK with the one you oppose. (Assuming you oppose the death penalty - if not,for purposes of illustration, pick a mythical "you" who supports abortion rights but opposes the death penalty.)

There are certainly reasons other than hypocrisy and blood lust to support a particular exception to a general moral rule. Otherwise, every moral system is based on hypocrisy and blood lust.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. And thanks for not just assuming I'm being a jerk. [Smile] I appreciate both efforts, believe me.

I have to go do some job-work and answer some emails, but I'll give it some more time and come back later with more questions (which any given person can chime in or not, no matter).

See y'all in a bit.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, KoM. Let me explain-- this is a bulletin board. Not a chat room. When someone doesn't reply immediately to your posts, it may simply mean that they are heading out to dinner with their spouse, and have no time to address any of your points in a serious, thoughtful manner.
I did give you a fair amount of time to respond, and I believe I asked quite politely whether or not you wanted to continue the discussion. I do not think it entirely reasonable to accuse me of demanding instant answers.

quote:
We agree that even our society has defined acceptable ways and whens to kill certain people.

But you miss the fact that murder is a whole 'nother bird entirely.

Here I think you need to define your terms. I am using 'murder' to mean 'killing humans', with 'humans' defined as above : Whatever I'm pointing at when I use the term. It seems to me that you are using 'murder' to mean 'killing that is against the law', which I don't think is a useful definition in this case, since it is then tautological to say that civilisations disapprove of it. So how are you defining murder?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Nevermind.

KoM: In light of your terms, I am not interested in continuing this discussion with you.

[ January 20, 2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
As you wish. I hope I didn't say something to offend you?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.