FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » VHS to DVD/CD/Computer?

Author Topic: VHS to DVD/CD/Computer?
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how I can transfer video on from VHS to a computer? First and foremost, I want to extract the audio from it, and secondly, I'd like to have a computer-copy of the video itself.

Thanks
-N

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You want a video card which allows TV-in.

ATI's All-In-Wonder line is a decent enough line towards the cheap end.

The card will include at least software to allow you to get the video; you can use video editing or other programs to extract the audio from it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
you don't necessarily need a new video card. there are wonderful usb devices that will do the trick.
linky

i've heard many a good thing about ATI's TV Wonder

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Ati TV wonder deally to go along with my other vid card. It's pretty good. It works well for what I need it do, which is just to put videos into mpeg format to send to family and stuff.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any place I can go to get it done as a service? I don't really wanna spend any money on new equipment, considering this will be a one time deal.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any friends who own a digital camcorder?

You could put it on the computer through one of those if you could borrow it.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
I do Alot of video edditing, and Nato has the best solution for a one time deal. If you were going to be doing it on a regular basis, I'd recomend an ADS VLink though. It swithces all analog signals to digital (RCA/Cable/S-video to Fire Wire).
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, the services I've seen aren't much cheaper than just buying the equipment for yourself, particularly since a TV-In card costs around $40 these days; you'll be paying people for their labor.

Do not underestimate your own labor, though, especially if you plan to edit the video in any way. The services out there -- which range from $50 to $100 an hour, that I've seen -- may be worth it for you.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom is right, the labor on this can get out of hand really quickly if you don't know what you're doing. If you're in a college environment, though, it shouldn't be too hard to find some equipment (a VCR hooked up to a DV camera that's hooked up to a computer with firewire is one of the easier ways to do it) in a library or in the media department or something, and a friend who knows what cables to connect to what. But then, hey, this is what I do for a living for now, so maybe it seems easier to me. Why not stop by my office and drop the tape on the pile with all the others. [Razz]

hatred of job..... rising....

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Hmm, yeah, I should probably be able to find that stuff at Oberlin.

Thanks all!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.