FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laziness

Author Topic: Laziness
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post this on the Gifted thread, but it didn't look like Annie was still checking in there and it was sort of in reply to something she had brought up.

I was doing a written exercise last night (actually I started it several weeks ago but only did the second part last night.) One of the terms I had dubbed myself was Lazy. The second part of the exercise was to evaluate where I thought these message come from. I decided the Lazy label doesn't come from a space of Love/God, but probably form non-Love/Evil.

But what is the honest Truth of the matter? In the past I have always sought to change my laziness with a frank confrontation. Isn't the truth supposed to set us free? To call myself Lazy feels like it must be true because it hurts. But judging the results, it doesn't seem to have done much for me.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a label is true because it hurts. I do agree that a label like "lazy" does not come from a spiritual place. If you believe that you were created in God's image, do you believe that "lazy" was intended to be a part of that image?

[ January 20, 2005, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Zeugma ]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, a label is sometimes less true because it hurts. You don't want to think of yourself using that label, so it makes you feel bad when you do. Sometimes you don't want to think of it because it's not true. But this is just in my experience.

So in my opinion, it does come from a bad place. If something you tell yourself makes you feel bad, it comes from non-Love. Even if it is true, if it came from Love, you wouldn't feel bad about it, it could be something you could accept and work towards changing. The evil in the world wants you to accept the things that make you feel bad as a matter of course, and not work towards changing it.

Edit for complete non-sensicalness.

[ January 20, 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
When a person calls themself lazy, it is usually because they feel that they aren't living up to the potential that they feel they can reach.

Lazy is a very relative term. Are you lazy compared to say a guy who never goes to work and leaches off everyone? Or are you comparing yourself to other people in your general group of associates? Or maybe you are just seeing yourself as lazy against some standard that you set for yourself.

Whether or not you are truly lazy isn't the point. If you are unhappy, and feel like you need to accomplish more, then step back look at what you actually want to accomplish. List it out. Figure out what is a good goal, and which goals may be unreasonable. Then make a list of those goals you want to reach, and then take steps to reach them.

Everyone at some point in time thinks of themselves as lazy, but the true measure of personal laziness is whether or not you do something once you recognize you have the desire to do more [Wink]

Just my 2 cents anyway

EDIT:
In other words, it is good for a person to recognize their own "laziness" because they are recognizing their own desires, and this is always a good thing.

If someone else is calling you lazy and you ignore them or are apathetic to that, then it is coming from a bad place.

[ January 20, 2005, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Chaz_King ]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say I'm lazy not with respect to the things I think I "should" do, but with respect to thing that as far as I can tell, I want to do.

There is a theory that we all behave in accordance with a subconscious balance sheet. On the one side is the pros and on the other side is the cons. There are often strange things that fall into these balance sheets that don't make a lot of sense, like the validation that one gets from casting oneself a victim.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the term "lazy" (at least when I feel that I've been lazy myself) comes from a place of non-love and I would say frustration. I would guess there are things that you think you want to do but several possibilities keep you from doing so:

not knowing the steps to take to go about achieving them

not having concrete goals for these aspects

not remembering that these are important to you on a daily basis and so not following up on them

having limited energy/time to do the things that need/want doing

Maybe?

I also think a lot of things fall through the cracks on the internal balance sheet, which is why this year I am trying to keep visible my plans and/or goals.

[ January 20, 2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.