FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spongebob Squarepants: Squishy target for conservatives

Author Topic: Spongebob Squarepants: Squishy target for conservatives
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/politics/20sponge.html?oref=login&8hpib

If you can't get to this link without logging in, try username errickel/password amy2505.

Apparently, James Dobson has recently condemned Spongebob Squarepants as "pro-homosexual" for appearing in childrens' video which was made to promote tolerance. That's tolerance, generally, of all people.

I haven't seen the video. Honestly, though, he's a sponge, and impressionable, in addition to being highly absorbent.

In light of today's commentary on religion, and the importance of moderation, I thought this article was pretty timely. If nothing else, it's a really good example of extreme views grabbing the spotlight.

Any thoughts?

Bunbun

[ January 20, 2005, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: bunbun ]

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, even if the guy had been right about the video promoting tolerance of homosexuals, his line about it being a "classic bait-and-switch"? Is funny. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rev, James Dobson is not sponge-worthy.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the Rev. Dobson would think if he visited Italy and saw virile, hetro young men walking down the street holding hands?
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Without seeing the video it's difficult to know if he's out to lunch or not, don't you think? He didn't say that Spongebob is a gay character. He said that the character was being used on a promotional video with others like Barney to promote a value he thinks is inappropriate for public schools.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What bait and switch?

He lives in a pineapple under the sea. We knew he was into fruit.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

I think it's fair to say that Dobson's out to lunch--Spongebob is a cartoon character being used to promote tolerance of all types of people. It really bothers me that in this context, Dobson is able to single out a "pro-homosexual" agenda.

Apparently, the problem is that Spongebob and Patrick were holding hands. As has been pointed out, this is not a new or even an exclusively gay concept.

I find Dobson's criticism really profoundly disturbing.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks alot of people are jumping to alot of conclusions in this thread.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. Virile young men holding hands...

I am not too fond of Dobson. He needs to chill. There is nothing wrong with men holding hands. That doesn't always equal gayness.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

The real travesty is forcing quality programming such as Sesame Street to associate with Barney. That should be a felony right there.

Plus the subversive Linux propaganda. I saw those penguins!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it's corny, but the message is rather nice. What's the big deal about that?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

I am really glad you posted the link, Bookwyrm.

The Bear in the Big Blue House is in this thing. You have got to be kidding me!

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I like a lot of Dobson's older work, but some of his stuff since gay marriage became an issue has been a little out there.
bunbun
Member # 6814

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what he's objecting to. But singling out Spongebob is nuts.

Clearly it's Barney who's gay!

And there's something going on with Kermit and Whoopi . . . [Monkeys]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was gonna say, who do they think they are reaching with Barney?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Barney. I don't really have a choice.

Is saying they need medication supposed to offensive, or merely stupid? I thought that was the pro-tolerance side.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Mothertree.

You and I must have been watching (er, in my case, hearing as I was here in front of the compie) the same thing. [Eek!]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, I think the funniest thing is the name of the We Are Family Foundation -- or, more accurately, their acronym.

In another fandom I belong to WAFF (most commonly used as an adjective, WAFFy) is used to describe stories that give you a "warm and fuzzy feeling." [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a negatory missing in your post somewhere JTK? 'Cuz you lost me. Though the paragraph breaks in my post do signal changes of track.

I'm agreeing that the anti-Sponge Barney critics probably suffer from OCD, but the way that the critic of the critics said they need medication did not reflect the respect that his side apparently advocates.

But it's entirely possible that I don't identify correctly which side he is on.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I'm pretty sure the guy who made the medication crack is on the video's side, and I agree, it's quite rude.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
MT: Er, that did sound weird. O_o I mean, your post appeared as right after I heard someone say that the critics of the video needed medication.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I've always thought highly of Dr. Dobson. His pediatric works are very helpful and compassionate.

But if what this article is saying is true, then he's nuts. That video isn't a problem, though I do think it's dumb if they think it will help reduce bullying. Or naive. Whatever.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he is right to condemn spongebob...he just has the wrong reason.

Bash the show because it is dumb...not because of the sexuality of a sponge (besides, sponges are asexual anyway). [Smile]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yes. The purple one.

I told you about Barney!

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike Spongebob, and I despise Barney . . .

. . . but that video is freaking awesome!

I enjoyed it thoroughly. My only complaint is Barney got way too many lines.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.