FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's the BUZZ?

Author Topic: What's the BUZZ?
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, I attend beekeeping school. My husband paid for our entire family to go. We'll be making a hive and learning all about beekeeping. It goes on tomorrow, too. I'm so excited!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] I admit, I'm afraid of bees.

I've never been stung, but I have, over the years, developed a reaction to honey and beeswax. I also have allergic reactions to spider and ant bites.

I prefer to stay un-stung.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
There was one night I couldn't sleep and stayed up watching a 'How to...' show on beekeeping. I was hooked and was very sad when I found that it was a two-part show and PBS didn't run the second part afterwards.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
BEEKEEPING! Cool I am fascinating by beekeeping since I read Secret Life of Bees. I am still scared of the things, but they are tiny little alchemists.
What's it like?
I got stung one time and I never want to be stung again.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Jennie!

I will now try to get the image of the movie "Killer Bees" out of my head, which terrified me in the 70's as a young girl.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Where will you be keeping the bees? Do you have a large yard or farm?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a woods in the country, with field on one side. School starts tonight, so as of yet I know nothing.

I really want to learn to be a bee-charmer, and handle them without gloves. Wouldn't that be creepy and cool?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone make a hive when you can order them?

:shrug:

Good luck! (Hope they aren't having you make skoeps . . .)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

We're making something with wood glue. I think it's for fun and because we don't get the bees until spring.
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really want to learn to be a bee-charmer, and handle them without gloves. Wouldn't that be creepy and cool?
I was always fascinated by my mother who could (and still can at 82) let a paper wasp crawl onto her finger so she could take it outside. Bee charming for sure.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one with Andrew Lloyd Webber in their head because of this title?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My mind is clearer now. . . at last I can see where we all soon will BEEEEE!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

[Eek!]

BEES!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

owl, what's your mother's secret? Would she share it with another insect-lover like me?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.

My grandpa was a beekeeper. He used smoke to dull them into a stupor when he had to move a hive.

You must chronicle your adventures!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith and Scott, me too!

what's the buzz, tell me what's-a-happenin', what's the buzz, tell me what's-a-happenin'...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You and my mom would get along really, really well, Jenny. [Smile]

Have you ever tried making a butterfly garden or a bat house?

[ January 21, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared of bees, too. I'm pretty sure it's a phobia given the extreme physiological reactions I have when I see them.

That's great that you are going to take a class! I think I remember you talking about having a way with insects, so I bet it will go well for you. What sort of flowers will you be using? I once had honey made from blackberry bushes. It was amazing.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny Gardener

She always said that the bee can tell when you are afraid or nervous. Maybe so. I never could bring myself to try it.

On the other hand, many times I have put my finger down for a moth or other insect to climb on and never given it a second thought. It is only when I knew the bug might bite or sting badly that I became nervous.

There is some philosophical observation one should make about this state of affairs, isn't there???

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

I found out so many things... We assembled our hives.

One thing I learned is that most beekeepers expect to get stung, but they just flick off the stingers and don't let it bother them. You have to know how to approach bees, how to work with them. And they're usually quite docile. I'm excited.

Too much information to share, but I'll answer questions from what little I know.

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
*shudder* Things with stingers should not be able to fly. It just seems like cheating.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.