FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Shows canceled before their time (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Shows canceled before their time
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeeee. That's a lot of money for not much return, especially given that the episodes were only a half-hour long.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVED Spellbinder when I was a kid, it was on right before Ocean Girl on the Disney Channel.

Boomtown
Firefly
Sliders
Perfect Strangers (I was not happy, I did not do the dance of joy)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim Shady
Member # 3372

- posted      Profile for Slim Shady           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone else knows of Ocean Girl? Can you say, guilty pleasure? It does affirm that Polish girls (even ones that live in Australia) are hotties.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
FARSCAPE

I do LIKE PK Wars, but I'd have rather had another season, where they had to fill in with Normal Farscape that included jaunts around Tormaented Space.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek: TOS.

I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned.

And to go along with Aaron Sporkin theme from Sports Night, I'm really depressed he left West Wing after 4 seasons, that show was like watching a very well written, high quality movie every week!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Myr: email me. I have Seaquest, 'nough said.

Oh, my list:
Seaquest
Firefly
The original Bubblegum Crisis

Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sliders was cancelled way too late. Way too late. When the only guy they had left from the original cast was Brown. OTOH, they killed off the Professor way to early. It went downhill from there.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
EL, that makes me feel so much better! I stopped watching it just after John Rys Davis (?) left. i think it was around the time i had my first child, maybe.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
MST3K
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Major Dad
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I can't believe I forgot MST3K! That is up there with Firefly easily.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, I was going to email you but I can't find your address and it's not in the profile...

so...

Please...?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Freaks and Geeks. Excellent show. It had characters you could really care about. It was the most realistic depiction of high school life in television history. And it had the best soundtrack of any show in television history.

Got completely sodomized against its will by NBC. Moved into a horrendous time slot and then cancelled after only one season. The creators, having heard the network's decision to cancel the show, actually ended it. The last episode actually concluded in such a way that it wrapped up the series.

Of course, it also left it open enough that it could be picked up again if the network changed its mind. That didn't happen, but, disappointed as I was by the brevity of the series, at least I never felt like it was left hanging. That alone shows you how good the show's creators are.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Is MST3K a cool insider code name for something, or do I just not know what show that is?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Insider code"? I wouldn't call it an "insider code", but it's the short way of saying "Mystery Science Theater 3000".
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
B5-Crusade.

I know it wasn't the best show out there, and not the best B5, but come on... so many unanswered questions. So many good characters.

I wish they would finish it in a Movie, or in the books, or comics, or a rap toon or something. DON"T LEAVE US HANGING!!!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Verily, since I had no idea what it was until you spelled out all the words of its title, I would say one would have to be an insider to get it.

I'm off to watch M.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Is that Babylon 5? I haven't watched that in years.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'd like to second the nominations of Sports Night and The Lone Gunmen . Yeah, I got just a bit peeved when they killed the boys off. Let's just say I raised my voice to the television that night. [Eek!]

And I have to mention three shows I haven't seen on anyone's list:

Max Headroom (the series on ABC, not the talks show somewhere on cable, I think)

VR5 (on FOX)

John Doe (on FOX; I'm still a little bitter about this one - the least they could have done was make a tv-movie wrapping up all the loose ends they left)

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Neal McDonough in Boomtown ? And now his new series Medical Investigation is gone. That guy has more bad luck...
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Voyagers

But that was canceled by tragedy, not by the network. [Frown]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John Doe
Oh, I agree! It is so rude how they had the last episode be a cliff-hanger. RUDE!!!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
There was this show called Strange World that fox killed after like 3 episodes and teh sci-fi channel showed a few years later. It was amazingly good. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Medical Investigation has been canceled?

Can't say I'm really surprised. But I did like the show when it started.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The Flash was a show I liked ages ago
I liked Covington Cross
And I liked some show with this pretty robot cop woman.
All of those got canceled. Every time I like a show they cancel it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention Firefly. Actually, I didn't say anything because so many people had already covered it, but I should at least put my vote in.

Also, I think The Norm Show was cancelled too soon. I love Norm MacDonald. He's one of my favorite comedians. His second series, A Minute With Stan Hooper, was terrible and should have been cancelled after the pilot. But his first series was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I still think of lines or scenes from that show and laugh until I'm red in the face.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Major Dad!! Loved that show.

I'm very afraid that House and Life As We Know It will be cancelled. I LOVE those shows. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm off to watch M.
[ROFL]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely John Doe. Definitely. So oh definitely. [Big Grin]

Same as Lone Gunmen. There was so much material there.

First Wave. For sure. I loved Crazy Eddie.

Yeah, pretty much all the Vancouver sci-fi shows. [Big Grin] They were all shot in my neighborhood. Well, sorta. They moved around from one area to another, but at one time or another, they were all in my neighborhood.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No No No
They cannot cancel House. That show is growing on me. I hardly have anything I love on tee vee now...
And they cannot cancelt Bernie Mac. It's really the best show. He was right in his book. He really did make the relationship between him and his fictional wife every loving and sweet, better than anything I've seen on Raymond. [Mad]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Mystery Science Theatre 3000 is one of my all time favorites. To this day, there are some movies I can't watch without robots. There are even more that never should have been seen at all without robots.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
There was another show that was on around the same time as Lone Gunmen that I liked, called Freaky Links. I don't even think it got a whole season.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember Sledge Hammer! from the mid-80s? I loved that show but hardly ever got to watch it because it was scheduled opposite the Cosby Show, which my whiny little sister always wanted to watch.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
They better not cancel House . I'm completely phobic about medical things both in real life and on TV. Much as I like ER , I can't go more than ten minutes at a time without turning away for at least a few minutes or I'll start to feel my anxiety level rise. But I can go as much as half an hour watching House before I realize that I'm watching a doctor show and start to get anxious.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is never going to stop as long as people keep watching the new episodes even after it has stopped being good.

Yes, I'm talking to all of you that are still planning on watching Revenge of the Sith.

If it makes you feel any better, I decided that I will not see it. [Big Grin]

quote:
Sliders was cancelled way too late. Way too late. When the only guy they had left from the original cast was Brown. OTOH, they killed off the Professor way to early. It went downhill from there.
I think fox cancelled it at the right time, at the season the professor was killed. When Sci-Fi got it however, they ripped the show to piecies.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Space: Above and Beyond. *observes moment of silence*
Was destroyed by Fox in-fighting and politics. Strangely enough, the show was resposible for me ever listening to, and liking, a Johny Cash song.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone remember Sledge Hammer! from the mid-80s? I loved that show but hardly ever got to watch it because it was scheduled opposite the Cosby Show, which my whiny little sister always wanted to watch.
I watched that show with my brother every week it was on. I had completely forgotten about it.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I just remembered a show I loved:

Dinosaurs.

Cracked me up. "Not the Mama, not the Mama!"

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Aw. That show was cute.
My grandmother hated it though

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus Welby, M.D.
My Mother the Car
My Favorite Martian
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Green Acres

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Keen Eddie was another show that Fox killed way too early. WHy don't they just play Simpsons reruns all the time, and then they won't have to get our hopes up that a good show will stay?

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Um, Bob. That is a list of old shows, not necessarily shows cancelled before their time. Just old.

I'm just sayin.'

Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone that wanted seaquest my email: bernardy[at]enguin[dot]com
Satyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Angel - Yes the show got weird with the Connor storyline, but if Joss had one more season I think he could have delivered a truly superb ending to the series.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spaw of saitin
Member # 7319

- posted      Profile for spaw of saitin   Email spaw of saitin         Edit/Delete Post 
i think i speak for all firefly fans ehen i say ........

DEYSTROY FOX!!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spaw of saitin
Member # 7319

- posted      Profile for spaw of saitin   Email spaw of saitin         Edit/Delete Post 
i think i speak for all firefly fans ehen i say ........

DEYSTROY FOX!!!!
[Mad]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Tru Calling.

I agree with John Doe. That sucked.

Also, Sports Night. That really sucked.

I'm still mad about Jeremiah and Odessey 5.

A show that was great that they ruined in the 3rd season was Millennium. That show rocked and then they ruined it.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for John Doe. That was my favorite TV show at the time they cancelled it. [Cry] And I "don't watch TV".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
And I can't believe I found out they canceled Dead Like Me here! My husband and son are distraught.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aw. That show [Dinosaurs] was cute.
My grandmother hated it though

What didn't she like about it? The "Hurling Day" Episode, where Earl was supposed to push his aged mother-in-law over a cliff?

The WeSaySo Corporation? "We know what you want. We know what you need. We know where you live."

Or the episode where Jeffrey gets caught watching "the mating dance" on TV and dancing along in his room?

[ January 23, 2005, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.