FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I know people may be sick of me and my good news, (update)

Author Topic: I know people may be sick of me and my good news, (update)
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
but I have some more.

Just a little background for those who don't know: I am a senior in high school. I am planning on majoring in music in college. I have narrowed it down to two schools based on professors: Valdosta State University and Butler University.

I just got a letter from Valdosta. They want to offer me 2k in an academic scholarship and they are tacking a waiver for out-of-state tuition which adds another 7k. They have already offered me 3k in a music scholarship.

So basically Valdosta has offered me 12k in scholarships, I have been accepted to the school, the honors college, and the music program, and all Butler has offered me is acceptance to their school. I wonder where I should go.

[ January 29, 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Allegra ]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] That's awesome! Have fun at Valdosta!

If you really want to go to Butler, you could always try talking to them and saying "Hey, Valdosta is offering my 12k worth of scholarships and you guys are offering me jack. Guess which I'm choosing." Maybe they'll offer you something then.

[ January 24, 2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!!!
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
w00t! You rock Allegra!!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I fully intend on bringing up the fact that Valdosta will cost me 5k a year at my audition. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Allegra! [Big Grin]

Bear in mind, though, that other things may in fact come from Butler later.

Still, Valdosta is a state school, where Butler is private. It may be that it has more resources to attract talented students.

Either way, congratulations! [Smile]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!! Congratulations!! [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] This is what I get for applying Regular Decision. [Grumble] I don't find out anything about any of my schools until April. [Grumble]

Congratulations on being accepted and on the money! [Party]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I know that Butler has more funds, but it is 32k a year(tuition, Room&Board, Books) I doubt they will offer me 27k. Weirder things have happened, but I am not holding my breath.

Thank you everyone [Kiss]

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch, I didn't realize Butler was quite that pricey!
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Midnight: The waiting sucks, but when you get everything it will feel awesome. About how I feel right now actually. [Big Grin]

Megan: Yeah they take being a private school seriously. You cannot be respected as a private school with tuition under 25k.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't enough good news in the world. I'm glad for you!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!

*rubs Allegra's foot*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
We are not sick of good news. We like good news. [Big Grin] Congrats and have fun at Valdosta!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I know people like good news, but sometimes it just seems like bragging.

Rivka- Don't steal all of my good luck!

Thank you everyone. [Smile] [Group Hug]

rivka
Member # 4859

Not stealing! Sharing!

It's not like I detached the foot. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool!

::hopes rivka doesn't shake his hand until after she's washed her own::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*raised eyebrow* Are you implying something about Allegra's feet?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Allegra! Not only do you get the great education you want, but you get to live in the most beautiful state in the nation (which happens to be my home state).

My cousin Tommy had a great time flunking out of Valdosta State.

Still, don't make any decisions until you hear from Butler. I got my Columbia scholarship stuff a week after all the other schools sent their scholarship stuff and I thought I hadn't gotten anything.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Rock on babes!!

Congrats!

[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Rivka: I suppose I can share. Just remember to keep the foot attached.

Noemon: I have clean feet thank you very much.

Thanks for the advice Ms. M. I am not planning on telling anyone anything until the last possible moment.

Thank you Telpy: It means a lot coming from my favorite guy have slept with. Even if I don't know your name. [Big Grin]

sexy_aaron
Member # 7312

- posted      Profile for sexy_aaron   Email sexy_aaron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am planning on majoring in music in college.
I'm ever so sorry. [Wink]
Posts: 78 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Care to explain your position?
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ever so jealous.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I just got a $7400 scholarship for Butler. This is kind of scary. I am hoping the recent large amounts of good luck will not result in a bunch of bad luck later.

I also just did really well at the solo-ensemble competition. I am going to state for my solo as well as for two ensembles. I would also be going for my quartet, but they since I was a bass player playing the cello part we cannot go to state. [Grumble] Oh, well. All in all it was a nice day.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Yay! Excellent taste, they have.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I like to think so. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is kind of scary. I am hoping the recent large amounts of good luck will not result in a bunch of bad luck later.
It's not luck - it's the culmination of years of hard work.

Congratulations!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I think Hard work+ a little bit of luck and good timing. Both are essential, but without the work no amount of luck or good timing would matter.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.