FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The World Almanac And Book Of Facts

Author Topic: The World Almanac And Book Of Facts
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
When you're moving (which I will be this coming Friday), you dig up alot of old stuff that you haven't touched, or even looked at, in ages in order to pack it.

When I turned eleven, my parents gave me the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? computer game. Along with it came the 1993 World Almanac And Book Of Facts. I barely even looked at it, and it ended up in a box, buried under the stairs. Then, the other day, as I was pulling all of those old boxes out to re-pack them, I found a box of my old stuff, and the Almanac was in it. I ended up staying up till quite late last night perusing it.

I must say, it is quite interesting. It is basically a self-contained encyclopaedia about... well, everything. It's a handy reference tool for all that near-useless trivia and statistical stuff that you always want to remember and never can (like populations of major cities, Academy Award winners, and all that kind of stuff.)

I must admit I was a bit amused at an publication primarily concerned with the U.S. calling itself a World Almanac. [Wink] I found the 1993 edition to be slightly out of date by now, so I went and bought the 2005 one.

Is there anyone else who uses these things? Any die-hard fans who have every one all the way back to 1908 carefully conserved in their basements? Anyone who despises them so much, this thread makes you sick?

EDIT to add link.

[ January 24, 2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: digging_holes ]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
My parents buy my brother one every single year for Christmas. I like them well enough, but don't enjoy them quite the way he does.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
In a recent attempt to find bedtime reading, I grabbed a copy of the 2000 World Almanac. You know, it's kind of interesting if a wee bit out of date.

Longest river? Check.
Gross Domestic Product of Sri Lanka? Check.
Real names of celebrities? Check.
History of North Dakota? Check.
Useless trivia to bedevil my wife with as she tries to go to sleep? Booyah!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Useless trivia to bedevil my wife with as she tries to go to sleep? Booyah!!!!!!!!!
[ROFL]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you can just look everything up on the net!
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

But the internet doesn't smell like paper. [Frown]
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?
....I have this game. Or, I had it at one point. O_o The show was popular when I was young(er).

/offtopic

We have a bunch of old books like that in my house.. at one point we had a book of World Records from the year I was born. Looking back at them is always interesting.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
After the remodel, I couldn't find the book I wanted to mention. I have lots of big reference books, but. . .

I have a cool book. It's called The Big Black Book.

Some topics include: Insurance policies that practically everybody buys and nobody needs, Secrets of the successful test-takers (How to get much better scores,) How to deduct all the interest on personal loan without borrowing against home equity, How to double your chances of winning a sweepstakes, How to collect interest from two banks on same money at same time, Most dangerous time of year to be in a hospital, and Health secrets on the insurance industry knows.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.