FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Love, what is it really? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Love, what is it really?
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read A River Sutra by Gita Mehta? I just finished reading it for my English class, and loved it.

Anyway, one of the topics that she really digs into is love, and desire, and how they tie into life. One of her characters says "without desire there is no life" and another talks about how difficult it is to imagine love without the symbols of love. I found this to be an interesting idea, that if we didn't have the flowers, the rings, etc, that we wouldn't be able to imagine what love is.

My question; do you think this is true? How do you think that people can show their love without symbols? Obviously through actions, but what if actions are symbols too?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is the ebb and flow of the tides of the human psyche. You've got your land, and you've got your water. You've got a sun pulling a big daily tide around, and a moon pulling a big monthly tide around. When the water is up, that is you loving someone because of who you are. When the water is down, that is you loving someone because of who they are.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid hippies . .. [Razz]

Love makes the world go 'round and my lunch come up.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, actions are symbols. Things are only understandable if they fall into a system of symbols.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I found this to be an interesting idea, that if we didn't have the flowers, the rings, etc, that we wouldn't be able to imagine what love is."

I think it's absolutely true. Love has a language, just like almost every symbolic emotion has a language, and that language shapes our perception of it. Without those symbols to provide us with context, we would have no concept of the emotion, nor recognition of its existence.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't buy the bit about the necessity of symbols for feeling and communicating love. While things aren't going so well in my marriage right this moment, I've been madly in love with my wife from pretty much the moment we met, and we've had a successful marriage for eight years without the use of symbols like rings, flowers, anniversaries, exchanges of Valentine's Day gifts, and the like. Those things can be okay, but they aren't necessary to convey love. We've pretty much constantly telegraphed our love for each other by caring, and acting on that caring to make the other's life as good as it possibly can be. This includes intense and nearly constant communication (and the reason that we're having some trouble right now is because the communication has become pretty patchy, due in part to being on different continents), exploration of the other, advice when it's needed, and an ear always. One of the most profound evidences of Christine's love for me has been the level of mental health she has simply demanded from me. If I'm anything less than I can be she sees it as a tragic waste. She's incredibly sensitive to what is going on inside people--she's a natural therapist--and very good at helping them to work through whatever is going on within them. She'll do this with me even when she's pissed as hell at me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Of course, if you want to argue that all action is symbol then yeah, of course the only way to convey love is through symbol. That seems to me, though, to reduce the concept of "symbol" to a point of uselessness, since it means that what you're really asking is "is it possible to convey love without taking any action that could be construed as loving".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that all action is symbol, no.

But I do believe that symbols -- be they linguistic or pictoral or whatever -- make it not only possible for us to express abstracts but also shape our conception of those abstracts.

In fact, I'd even go so far as to assert that you and your wife, who do not go in for many of the "traditional" symbols of love, may well have a different concept of love and perhaps even feel a slightly different sensation than a couple who buys into the American cultural semiotics. What you call "love" may very well not be what someone who includes chocolates and flowers and long walks on the beach in their mental image of love considers to be "love." In fact, it almost certainly isn't. But precisely because there is no hard and fast definition of the term, we're left to pin it down with shared symbology.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is an illusion created by chemicals.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
One man I lived with wasn't able to speak, sign, and only communicated - with help - via an alphabet board.

Some time during an incredibly frustrating and tiring week, he took my hand, dragged me upstairs, sat me on his bed, and he sat in his chair. And we just sat there together in silence for a quarter hour or so.

No, love doesn't need symbols.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Love might be expressed via chemicals, but it is not created by them. Nor is it an illusion; anything you feel is real to you.

I view love as the lover prioritizing the beloved's well-being above their own. I am not sure how or who determines "well-being".

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that language shapes our perception of it
So you are an adherent of the Sapir Whorf theory, then?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on. Someone's gotta say it:

quote:
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.

-H.L. Mencken

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I found this to be an interesting idea, that if we didn't have the flowers, the rings, etc, that we wouldn't be able to imagine what love is.
That is *so* bogus. What really matters is finding out how someone perceives love and to show it in that way. If they like flowers and rings, fine. But not everyone does. And they shouldn't have to. That is what society tells us love is, and they are wrong.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
(and the reason that we're having some trouble right now is because the communication has become pretty patchy, due in part to being on different continents)
I didn't know you were far apart. That sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
But I do believe that symbols -- be they linguistic or pictoral or whatever -- make it not only possible for us to express abstracts but also shape our conception of those abstracts.
I think it isn't so much about symbols as communication. A symbol can communicate effectively to one person and be totally lost on another. If I bought Porter flowers, he would recognize that I was trying to do something sweet, but he'd really wish I hadn't done that. And I know him well enough to know that he would feel that way. Therefore that particular symbol is an ineffectual way of communicating my love for him.

Making him a tasty meat on the other hand, that communicates love in a symbol he understands. [Smile]

quote:
I view love as the lover prioritizing the beloved's well-being above their own. I am not sure how or who determines "well-being".
Wow, President Hinckley said almost this *exact* same thing.

[ January 25, 2005, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Heinlein has said more or less the same thing too.

So has Spider Robinson, but he was paraphrasing Heinlein, I think.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have love without the cultural symbols. Love is what ties people together. Love is mutual caring for each other. That can be shown in myriad ways.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Love is what makes the world go round. Love of gold...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, it sucks - totally sucks - that you and your wife are on different continents. Of course that will put a strain on the relationship. How could it not? I hope you two can be together again soon.

Love is what makes the world go round. [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Love is an illusion created by chemicals.
Chemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

I could have love without the cultural symbols. Love is what ties people together. Love is mutual caring for each other.

*whispers* You just used symbols to tell me what you think love is. Now try it without symbols. (Or don't. It would be a waste of time.)

Love is only what we, as two people having a conversation within the context of our societies, call it. It's a nebulous concept, and the mere fact that it can be defined as broadly as "mutual caring" and "willing to put another person's interests above your own" (from Danzig) suggests that there are different perceptions of love based on different priorities. But we knew that.

What is interesting, however, is that I strongly suspect that a large part of what we consider to be love is shaped by our expectations of love and the trappings we apply to it.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Love changes everything - hands and faces, earth and sky. Love can make the summer fly or a night seem like a lifetime. Love changes everything - nothing ever, ever will be the same. Love lifts us up where we belong, where the eagles fly, on a mountain high. Love makes us act like we are fools, throw our lives away for one happy day. Love is just a game.

[ January 25, 2005, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved
Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved
Love is you
You and me
Love is knowing
We can be
Love is free, free is love
Love is living, living love
Love is needing to be loved

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
My question; do you think this is true? How do you think that people can show their love without symbols? Obviously through actions, but what if actions are symbols too?
Well, if you are arguing that *every* form of communication (actions, touch, words) counts as a symbol, and that you can't have love without communication--well DUHHH. [Wink]

What was the point again? [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you could turn that into a pretty catchy song, Kat. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Love is consisted of millions of tiny robots in your bloodstream that distribute select quantities of Necco* extract around your body. The resulting chemical reaction is love.

*You know those little hearts with stuff written on them that taste like chalk?

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Someone just got their heart broken...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Love ain't nothing but sex misspelled.
--Ellison

Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun.

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

— Matt Groening, Love is Hell

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hmmm, apparently that someone is Storm Saxon. Want to talk about it Storm?

Hobbes [Smile]

[ January 25, 2005, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, someone's feeling more cynical than I am! Cool. Particularly the ice weasels part. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I keep my heart in a duck's egg, in an ironclad box, at the bottom of the ocean. So, it is impossible for me to get my heart broken.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Maybe the egg hatched.

Hobbes [Smile]

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Now that's just silly.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At night, the ice weasels come.
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I said cultural symbols. I could never say "love" and still feel love. That's the one problem I had with The Giver, which I otherwise adore.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep my heart in a duck's egg, in an ironclad box, at the bottom of the ocean.
Stormy, are you saying you're that evil old man from Russian tales?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think love requires mutual caring. I can conceive of loving someone who did not love me. Not a desirable state, but possible.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Love, unrequited, keeps me from my rest.

quote:
Tom, I said cultural symbols. I could never say "love" and still feel love. That's the one problem I had with The Giver, which I otherwise adore.
[Confused] Could you elaborate, kq? I don't know what you mean by this. I read The Giver -- and love it -- but don't remember/understand the issue.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jonas has never heard of "love" until he gets a memory concerning it, and he goes home and asks his parents if they love him. They chide him for "imprecision of language". Because they don't use the word for love, they say it doesn't exist.

Off topic, but related to this, have you read the two "sequels" to The Giver? I really liked them. (Also, I was glad to know that Jonas and Gabe survived. That was left kind of ambiguous at the end of the book, and I like happy endings to stories I get that emotionally invested in, at least for the main characters.)

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
There were sequels? I have to get those now. I read that book in 7th grade and loved it beyond words. [Smile]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Jonas has never heard of "love" until he gets a memory concerning it, and he goes home and asks his parents if they love him. They chide him for "imprecision of language". Because they don't use the word for love, they say it doesn't exist.

Ahhhh! Ok, I remember that. But I'm not sure what your objection is -- to them, with no previous experience contextualizing "love," it IS an imprecise use of language.

The sad part, IMO, is not so much that they cannot express love for him. It's that there's no particular evidence that they FEEL it.

quote:
Off topic, but related to this, have you read the two "sequels" to The Giver? I really liked them.
There are SEQUELS?!? *jawdrop*
quote:
(Also, I was glad to know that Jonas and Gabe survived. That was left kind of ambiguous at the end of the book, and I like happy endings to stories I get that emotionally invested in, at least for the main characters.)
Yeah, I totally was sure that it was like The Little Match-Girl. But in a thread we had a while back (over a year ago, IIRC) about the book, someone linked to a Q&A with Lowry where she confirmed their survival.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The sequels are Gathering Blue and The Messenger. The last one is a little sadder, but still fulfilling.
rivka
Member # 4859

*adds to library list*
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I'm with Storm.

Love is the word used to label the sexual excitement of the young, the habituation of the middle-aged, and the mutual dependence of the old. -- John Ciardi

Love is the same as like except you feel sexier. -- Judith Viorst

Love: the delusion that one woman differs from another. -- H. L. Mencken

Love is the self-delusion we manufacture to justify the trouble we take to have sex. -- Daniel S. Greenberg

Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock. -- John Barrymore

The one who loves least controls the relationship.

Love built on beauty, soon as beauty, dies. -- John Donne

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Hey, are those from The Cynic's Lexicon? [Smile]
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*adds to library list*
*does the same*

also, nice refrance ryuko, but now i have that haddaway song stuck in my head. [Razz]

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I should the Donne one isn't. Though my favorite is the Haddock one.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Stormy, are you saying you're that evil old man from Russian tales?

I'm not saying it...though I am implying it quite heavilly. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.