FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone watching Battlestar Galactica?

Author Topic: Anyone watching Battlestar Galactica?
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

- posted      Profile for AMCSteel   Email AMCSteel         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone watching this show? I mean wow. Everyone talked about how good Firefly was.. but I must say this is 10 times better. The premire was Sci-Fi channels most watched show in it's history. I hope it keeps it's audience I would love to see this show last awhile.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They made Starbuck into a girl. *shudder*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::goggles::

10 times better than Firefly? Really? I have to say I'm a bit skeptical, but it sounds like I need to give this show a chance. Are they going to be airing the premire again any time soon?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain how Bender got doubled? I am so confused.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMCSteel
Member # 6321

- posted      Profile for AMCSteel   Email AMCSteel         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you Mean Boomer...??? The Opening Credits explains that.(Cylons look like humans now.. some cylons are programed to be sleeper agents and don't know they are Cylons. There are (I think 12) diffrent models. I think we know of 5 right now)

Looking at the schedual I don't see when the premire is going to come on agian. It airs normally at Friday at 10 on sci-fi.. It should be something to DVR if you can.

They try to keep you updated on what is going on at the beginning of each episode but with a series like this it is hard to do.

The best way to read up on what it is all about is by looking at the episode guide on Sci-fi's site. The show has more of an epic feel like say B5 then the more makeshift crew on waky missions of Firefly and startrek style.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note, that in Canada it airs on Space, Saturdays at 8.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll check it out. From your comments about Firefly, though, I suspect that you watched the episodes in the order they were originally aired, rather than the order in which they were intended to be aired. Fox screwed around with the show in that respect, and from what I've read (I discovered the show on DVD) it made it fairly difficult to perceive the larger arc of the story (not that I would use the word "epic" to describe that arc, but still).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not ten times better than Firefly. There was a sing song rhythm to the Firefly dialogue that was musical, and the group dynamic was closer to Farscape.

Battlestar Galactica is what it is. I hope they have the entire story arch planned because at this point, it could go either way.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
No way.

Seen the premiere, nice action, cool CG.... but totally 1 dimensional characters.

Plus, having robots (even human-looking ones) play off against humans is nowhere near as fascinating as pure human drama.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I loved the dialog in Firefly. The character development was very deftly handled as well.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sometimes I'm glad that Firefly ended after just that one nearly perfect season, honestly--as it stands, it's like this incredibly brilliant little jewel, you know? If it had gone on it would inevitably been impossible to maintain that level of quality (every time, at least).
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
It gets even better mid season. Tonight they aired the season finale! (I'll be watching it in several moments.)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The only weak episode, in my mind, is "The Message". Not that it isn't head and shoulders above the best of most other shows, of course, but in comparison to "War Stories" or "Our Mrs. Reynolds" or "Out of Gas" or "Objects in Space" or...well, you get the picture...it doesn't hold up all that well.
raventh1
Member # 3750

Well, the first season of BSG has left me with far more impact than Firefly did. I could be mistaken, and I should watch Firefly again, now that I have see all of BSG season 1.

I really really like BSG, I can't wait for another season. [Big Grin]
(BTW, I've seen them all because they aired them all first on SkyOne in Europe, and I have my 'ways': I also plan on buying this on dvd when it comes out too.)

Edit: How appropriate that I have the 13th reply... (BSG has 13 episodes, and the Pilot.)

[ January 25, 2005, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: raventh1 ]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This new version is AWESOME!!

Some more talk on it here:
http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=030878

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
And Stargate too. Friday's are great on Sci-fi
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been catching up one some of the episodes I taped. I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would. There are some annoyances, mostly the Cylon chick in Baltar's head. I'm interested enough to keep watching (and actually plug my VCR back in so I could tape it).
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe episode 1.4 airs friday night in the US so if you haven't started watching you're not too far behind. I think you can rent the mini-series of a pilot.

So far it's pretty good. Not Firefly good because I don't connect with the characters as much as I did with the crew of Serenity (yet!?)

Starbuck as a woman is working out well actually, though I've taken to calling her "Butchy" in conversations with my husband. There's a very good scene in episode 1.1 (entitled "33") where she throws a bit of a tantrum at Apollo and when Apollo responds with too much of a "Sum-wun needs a huuuug" manner she chews him out for that too. She has become my favorite character on the show.

Boomer is duplicated because she's a Cylon. She doesn't know she's a Cylon but the one on Galactica (not on Occupied Caprica) is starting to suspect.

Anyway, tune in. It's a good show.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
The show is very good. I still don't love it the way I love(d) FarScape, but it is freaking better than almost anything else on right now (except 24 :bows to his Kiefer cut-out:).
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the first few episodes; it makes me wish I had been able to watch the miniseries last year.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm sure they'll replay it again, it is the sci-fi channel after all.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh don't get me wrong, BG is very well made, I'm drawn in and impressed - but it's not Firefly...

And again with the one thing that *only* Firefly has gotten right in mainstream TV - no sound in space. That so added to it's appeal to me.

While all shows go downhill or are cancelled, Wheadon's got a pretty good track record. I believe that Buffy stayed a great show right to the end. Angel kinda jumped the shark in the last season - but then they did have to change tack halfway through the season.

Damn I wish there was more Firefly.... if the movie's half as good as everyone who's seen the preview says it is, perhaps we'll see another series one day.....

</la la land>

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I finally got around to the prison ship episode - SWEET. Jen was reading a book while I watched it, and I said 'Dude! Richard Hatch'. She of course said 'the naked Survivor guy?'. [Smile] I hope he comes back in the future.

I really like the President. I'm figuring one of these episodes will be finding a cure for her cancer so she can stick around.

raventh1
Member # 3750

I'll have to get my Firefly dvd's back from my friend, so I can watch them again. But Troubadour, wait until you see all the episodes. I recall not really liking some of Firefly in the beginning. (I did respect them for the new cg camera work that is also in this, and the space scenes.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.