FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Brain freeze: Where can I get free cardboard boxes?

Author Topic: Brain freeze: Where can I get free cardboard boxes?
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Agh, I know this is a stupid question, but we're packing up for our move tomorrow, and all we have are the white Staples file boxes for packing. We need some much larger boxes for our much larger possessions, especially because we're hiring big strong movers for the first time. Does anyone know where I can find a bunch of said boxes for free or cheap in a short amount of time?

Also, what should we expect from a local moving company? Do we need to have every last thing packed up before they come, or do they expect to have us still packing while they're loading up the truck? Can we leave stuff on the walls until the last minute? Do lamps and big bulky things like TV's need to be in boxes, or do they usually pack those things up themselves??

I have a bad feeling about our level of preparation for this. [Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...stores. Any kinds of stores that get big shipments. Grocery stores, dept. stores, walmart, kmart, best buy, circuit city...any store.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
If you go look by the dumpsters of any large grocery store, you can usually find cardboard boxes in some form.

Or you could just ask them if they have any in the back you can have. That works, too. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Do you have to go in and ask for them, or are they just laying around to take? What's the etiquette on getting store boxes?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Okay, off to lunch to cruise the grocery stores in town.... [Smile]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but sometimes, the grocery stores try to charge you. It sort of depends on who you talk to.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you're not near me -- we have plenty of computer boxes that new machines come in. And big monitor boxes...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquor stores.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquor stores always have some, but there not that big. Also, if you look around apartment complexes, you can sometimes find boxes that were left by the dumpsters by people who just moved.

If you don't have your TV boxed up/covered, they will probably insist that they do so or cannot be held liable for any damage. They charged us about $25 or $30 for doing that.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go to a strip mall and drive behind it looking for any boxes. Rinse. Repeat.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal Mart is sometimes really good for this.
I know the mall used to have differnt trash bins for boxes vs food and bagged trash.

Good hunting

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
We would go to Smith's they had them by the bathrooms and you could just take them. My brother just moved and he said the best place was the liquor store. Good luck. Happy moving.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
We got the best boxes from Petsmart for our last move. I saved them - they are the best boxes I've ever used. Very sturdy.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquor boxes are good for things you want separated from each other, like glasses, since they have dividers.

Places like Office Max or print shops that use lots of paper will have boxes that are a good size.

When you go to Wal-Mart (this is for a 24-hour Supercenter), go around 10 p.m. and talk to the CSM (customer service manager). Tell them you want boxes and ask when you should come back. The overnight crew will be unpacking boxes and will get rid of them during the night. The Wal-Mart I worked at had the cashiers unpacking pallets of break packs. Most of those boxes are designed to be reused, and they won't give those out. However, they often get huge boxes of towels or blankets, and they'll give those out, as well as other boxes the cashiers have to empty. You may also want to talk to the person in charge of the night stock crew and ask if you can get some boxes from them. There will be a greater selection, but ask that they don't cut the boxes, just the tape on top. Wal-Mart has a crusher for cardboard boxes, so they won't have anything usable in the dumpster.

It might be a good idea to ask the liquor store if they will cut the tape instead of the actual box, as well.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Wal-Mart here has been known to charge a $0.25 per box...
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Great suggestions. [Smile] I've been wanting an excuse to buy our puppy some stuff (stuff we can only get at Petsmart, we support our local pet stores as much as we can!), so I might try them out. We found some boxes at Mark's work, so we might be set for now... thank god we moved into a smaller apartment this last time around, so we had to do a big purge back in June! It just doesn't seem like we have that much stuff... I think Mark's beer collection will be the hardest to pack.

Oh! We should stop by the beer store! They'll have lots of boxes for him to use!

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
When we moved, I got boxes by looking at craigslist. I don't know if you're near one of the centers, but if you are I'd check it out. I got a ton of really nice boxes all for free. When I was done with them, I put them back on there and gave them away. So, it was great for both getting and getting rid of boxes. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's is usually very helpful. When I worked there as a kid, we used to go back and empty out boxes for customers.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Places that sell spirits often have very high quality boxes, because breakage in shipping is a huge expense. They ARE usually small, but they are great for packing books or breakables.
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time we moved, I went around to several grocery stores and talked to the produce managers. If you time it right, they'll have boxes stacked up in back that you can take. At the wrong time of day, somebody had usually already come and claimed the boxes.

After a "fruitful" search at the grocery stores, I went dumpster diving. Since most stores have cardboard recycling bins, you can find boxes in good shape that aren't covered with trash. Just go a little later in the evening after the store closes.

You know, I have no idea if it's legal or not to come and take boxes out of dumpsters. I figure most stores won't care.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquor stores/restaurants/bars.

Liquor boxes are often extra-thick.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I always go to the nearby No Frills or Food Basics. They leave all their boxes out for people to use instead of bags, so I just walk in a grab a few promising ones.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam's Club used to have boxes laying aroud after the registers, but they don't anymore that I'm aware of. But then, they put a buy-in-bulk liquor store attached to the side of the main store, so they might very well have moved the boxes there. [Dont Know]

Edit: I know people have mentioned office supply stores, but I know that Staples usually sells boxes for moving and whatnot so I doubt they'd give them away. Have you tried storage facilities?

[ January 25, 2005, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
In every jurisdiction I'm aware of, it ain't legal to take anything out of anyone's trashbin without first getting permission. It's just one of them laws that aren't enforced unless probable real mischief is suspected; eg dumpster diving for private documents, credit card slips, etc.

Just ask. I don't know of any retail store management/employee who isn't glad to get a little more dumpster space through giving away discarded shipping boxes.

[ January 25, 2005, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it depends on the location of the trashbin. Those on public property are available, usually, I think.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at the liquor store, we never broke down the boxes until we absolutely had to, since so many people came in looking for boxes in a move. They are thicker than other boxes, so they hold up well. I maybe had to break down boxes once a week at a busy liquor store because they were always flying out the door.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.