FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Author Topic: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an amazing book which is written as a historical record of English magic. If anyone is into good fiction or fantasy or even Harry Potter, I'm sure you'd love this book.

Has anyone else read it?

Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Me! Me! Me!

I loved it!

What was your favorite part?

I loved the end--not that I will give it away here.

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I did too! But the whole thing was really interesting, I've never read a book written like that before. I loved the sometimes dark humor it had as well.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been toying with reading it, but it's so big and imposing and the stack of books on my bed is already so large...

However, if it's as good as you say, then I'll add it to the list, which means that I'll read it eventually, even if it's a year from now. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

I really liked the story bundling qualities it had--it takes a while to build into a cohesive storyline, but the footnotes are fabulous little asides.
Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also read it (got it for Christmas) and have been telling people to read it, albeit quietly [Wink] .

I liked it very much. It didn't blow me away, but I did really like it. The historical/magical/practical combination was pleasing. It wasn't a difficult book to read, although long and slightly slow moving- I think it is often considered 'a bit slow' by readers. I never found it boring, only complex and in a way very gentle and very exciting at the same time.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

Apparently she wrote it over about ten years.

Painstakingly. I have to agree that it was a bit slow going at some points. Also, she never came back to some of the magical personalities, which I found really disappointing. However, in the long run the footnotes, and clues kept you guessing and wondering.

Overall, the story of Jonathan & Mr. Norrell just gets really "textured" with the old magic. I liked that, after I thought about it.

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. My favorite part was when the gentleman with the thistle-down hair was telling Stephen how he got his name. I was laughing so hard I fell off the couch.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is, beyond any doubt or discussion, my second-favorite book of all time. In almost all ways, it is measurably perfect.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.