FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » CBS News.com (pre)review of Advent Rising...

Author Topic: CBS News.com (pre)review of Advent Rising...
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
...is available here.

I know next to nothing about gaming, but it sounds very cool. Does it seem as innovative and interesting as the gaming columnist makes it sound?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so buying this. [Smile] I'm in the market for a new XBox game having just beaten Prince of Persia last night. When does it come out?
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometime this year -- no specifics yet.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this line:

quote:
Any script or game that has Orson Scott Card’s seal of approval on it has to be good.
Heh heh heh [Smile] Don't know why, it just tickles me.

Advent Rising is a really interesting project. Visually, it absolutely amazes me. Though design-wise, I was surprised that the reviewer compared it to Knights of the Old Republic. This is definitely not an RPG. Your character does advance his abilities over the course of the game, but the action is still directly rooted in player skill, not in character statistics, as in KOTOR. If any feature of the game is similar to KOTOR, it's the story.

They are trying something new and interesting with the controls that I can't wait to see funcitoning in the final game. Apparently, you can hold the right analog stick to manually move the camera if you want to ... but more often, you FLICK the right thumbstick in third-person mode to target different enemies. This is basically the same feature that you use the triggers for in KOTOR and GTA. But flicking the stick frees up the triggers for attacks, and the face buttons for other maneuvers. It's an interesting choice, and I'd like to see how it pans out when people get their hands on the game. I have read that the system has steadily improved over the course of development.

Anyway, it's an exciting game. I think it was originally supposed to be out around now, but the developers were able to secure a few more months to polish the game up and really make it shine. Majesco looks like it's betting the farm on this one, so good luck to all of them!

[ January 26, 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Another phrase that tickles me, from my own last post:

quote:
flicking the stick
Sorry, had to say it before Papa Moose did [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, yes-- now I remember why I still have a $50 gift card for Best Buy in my wallet.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda looks like a cross between Oni and Halo...
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.